• Add My News • Search Old News
Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
By Portal Admin - 5th November 2018 - Back to News
The Nationals candidate for Morwell Sheridan Bond and Shadow Minister for Training and Skills, Steph Ryan have today met with Latrobe Valley Bus Lines to discuss the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and discuss the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
Latrobe Valley Bus Lines is a business that would like to see the local skill shortage addressed by training providers.
Sheridan Bond said The Nationals are committed to fixing training in Gippsland through the reintroduction of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council cut by the Labor government in 2014.
"The Nationals will bring the focus back to meeting the needs of students and local industry", said Ms Bond.
"With their recent investment in hybrid technology Latrobe Valley Bus Lines is a proven industry leader and a local success story, however the reality is they are struggling to attract diesel mechanics to maintain and repair their impressive fleet.
"It is vital that we facilitate pathways between tertiary education providers and employment opportunities."
The function of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council is to bring together business and industry, with training providers, to provide direct advice on the future of education and training in the region.
Deputy Leader of The Nationals and Shadow Minister for Training and Skills, Steph Ryan said the Council will be tasked with providing leadership to restore confidence in the local sector.
"There are industries across Gippsland facing critical skill shortages and we need to ensure training is targeted so local people fill the skill gaps," said Ms Ryan.
"The Council will determine the direction for training so that it meets the future needs of local industries. It will also advise the path to lift attainment levels among local students."
People with understanding of training and education providers in Gippsland will be on the 11- member Council, which will be appointed by the Minister for Training and Skills and supported by an executive officer.
"If we are meeting the training needs of our region, it means local people who choose to upskill or reskill can have confidence there’ll be a local job opportunity at the end," Ms Bond said.
"The Nationals are committed to ensuring institutions like TAFE can meet the needs of our local economy at a time when hundreds of people have lost work because of the closure of Hazelwood."
The Nationals candidate for Morwell, Sheridan Bond, Deputy Leader of The Nationals Steph Ryan and General Manager Latrobe Valley Bus Lines Anna Tyben discuss the skill shortage of diesel mechanics in Latrobe Valley and the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Tertiary Education Roundtable Looks to Our Future
Bass Coast Shire Council hosts discussion on progressing tertiary education investment in the Shire.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Council Rates Must Be Part of Drought Relief
Call for further steps for drought relief.
- Council Commit Funds to Sound Shell
Additional $150,000 toward the Inverloch Sound Shell project.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Applications Invited For Round 2 of Environmental Grants Scheme
East Gippsland Water now inviting applications for Round 2 Native Vegetation and Habitat Creation Grants program.
- Gippy’s Leading Food and Fibre Orgs to Merge
Agribusiness Gippsland and the East Gippsland Food Cluster set to amalgamate in early 2019 to support Gippsland’s important $7bn food and fibre industry.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Get Qualified on the Job with Council
Bass Coast Shire Counci, now offering a range of Traineeships and Apprenticeships.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Record Bass Stockings into Blue Rock
Bass stocked into Gippsland to improve inland recreational fishing opportunities.