Latrobe Local News:
Support for a united Latrobe City at Council Meeting
Latrobe City Council at Monday’s Council Meeting unanimously rejected a series of motions on a petition sponsored by the Traralgon Action Group
By Latrobe City Council - 9th November 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Latrobe City Council at Monday’s Council Meeting unanimously rejected a series of motions on a petition sponsored by the Traralgon Action Group to sack Council and split Traralgon from the municipality. A motion of no confidence in the Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, and Deputy Mayor, Councillor Tony Hanning by the Traralgon Action Group, were also rejected unanimously.
Councillor Jenkins said that the unanimity of Council’s rejection of the three most contentious motions was a demonstration of the growing maturity of the second Latrobe City elected Council.
"It also comes after expressions of support from the Local Government Minister and a commitment by Federal Labor to a Latrobe rescue package. The Federal announcement in particular, highlighted the recognition of local leadership as the key to success and the reason for their commitment.
"It would have been a real slap in the face if Council had had not been able to get its act together," Cr Jenkins said.
Councillor Jenkins said the four motions which were sponsored by the Traralgon Action Group under the Fair Play Campaign did not reflect the overwhelming views of the municipality’s population and Council was adamant in its opposition. "In matters of leadership and governance, Council has given both myself and my deputy their fullest support," Cr Jenkins said.
"While Council acknowledges there is community concern at a perceived loss of facilities in Traralgon, there are also concerns in other parts of the municipality that a self interest group is attempting to prevent the democratic process from prevailing.
"Council will continue to work towards providing its administrative presence from the centre of the municipality providing equitable access and cost saving benefits, while ensuring there will be no loss of service delivery in Traralgon," Cr Jenkins added.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Council to Back Call for Newstart Increase
Bass Coast Shire Council supports increase Newstart Allowance payments.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 18 March
A snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 18 March
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 6 May
May 6 Council Meeting Round-Up
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 3 June
Below is a snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 3 June 2019.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Council Welcomes Location for Phillip Island Community Hospital
Improved access to health services with Phillip Island Community Hospital.
- Council Seeks Community Feedback on Draft 2019/20 Budget
Wanted: Community Feedback for Draft 2019/20 Budget.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Council Rates Must Be Part of Drought Relief
Call for further steps for drought relief.
- Council Commit Funds to Sound Shell
Additional $150,000 toward the Inverloch Sound Shell project.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- Farmers’ Market Support Program to return: only under Liberal Nationals
An elected Liberal Nationals Government plans to bring back the Farmers’ Market Support
Program axed by Labor.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Funding Extension for Council’s Rural Access Program
Support for disability with Building Inclusive Communities ‘Rural Access’ Program.
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Bass Coast joins Application for Rural Council Transformation Program Funding
Bass Coast Shire Council applies for funding to establish the next stage of a shared services entity in Gippsland.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Still a Flood of Support for Pondage
Overflow of support to reopen Hazelwood Pondage.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
A call for support for #BuildingLatrobe.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Daniel Andrews Cuts Support to Our Veterans
From $10.5 million to $7.7 million for Veterans.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Aged and Disability Services Continue to Support our Community
Continued aged support through transition.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe Raises Need for Industry Support and Jobs
Spotlight on LV unemployment.
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Get Qualified on the Job with Council
Bass Coast Shire Counci, now offering a range of Traineeships and Apprenticeships.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- All Politics is Local
Bass Coast Shire Council supports the Australian Local Government Association’s (ALGA) Federal Election Advocacy campaign titled ‘All Politics is Local’
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.
- Domestic Wastewater Management
Public Draft of Latrobe City’s Domestic Wastewater Management Plan released.
- Van Driel Resignation
Chief Executive Officer of Latrobe City Council resigns.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Century Milestone for Community Facility and Event Grants
More than 100 community projects now realised with support from the Latrobe Valley Authority’s Community Facility Fund.