• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
By Portal Admin - 3rd November 2019 - Back to News
Students from seven schools across Gippsland battled it out at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell for the title of regional champion after advancing through municipal challenges held earlier in the year.
A group of Cowes Primary School students have been named Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge Champions following a competition that tested their bike safety and coordination skills.
Second place on the day went to Heyfield Primary School. Highest scoring girl competitor went to Roxy Helmers from Heyfield Primary School and the prize for the highest scoring boy competitor went to Taelen Richards, also from Heyfield Primary School.
The challenge saw students use skills developed in the Bike Ed program to complete a circuit of activities based on balance and control. Riders had to demonstrate how to correctly turn at traffic lights and a roundabout while scanning, signalling and giving way.
The Bike Ed program runs in primary schools across Victoria to help prepare students to ride safely on roads. The Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge is funded through the Andrews Labor Government’s Community Road Safety Grants Program. Latrobe City Council hosted the Regional Bike Ed Challenge at its Traffic School facility.
The winners took home the John Hehir Memorial Trophy as reigning Gippsland champions. John Hehir was a local who was instrumental in the re-development of the Latrobe City Traffic School and coordinated the regional challenges for many years.
For more information about the Bike Ed program visit vicroads.vic.gov.au.
Quote attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"Gippsland kids have been putting their newly acquired skills from the Bike Ed program into action – we’re proud to be supporting this initiative."
Quotes attributable to Latrobe City Council Mayor Graeme Middlemiss
"Anything that will equip the young people within our region with the skills and knowledge needed to participate in bike and road activities safely is a positive. We look forward to continuing support for the Bike Ed Challenge."
Quote attributable to Member for Bass Jordan Crugnale
"It’s great to see Cowes Primary School take out that Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge championship in a fantastic initiative that teachers our kids how to be safe and responsible on our roads.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Schools to Share in Statewide $515M Maintenance Blitz
61 schools to benefit from $515 million budget for school maintenance.
- School Breakfast Clubs Expansion to Help Traralgon Students Thrive
Traralgon (Stockdale Road) Primary School have been invited to participate in the School Breakfast Clubs Expansion Program.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- Helping More School Kids Stay Safe in the Sun in Rawson
77 schools will share in an almost $1 million School Shade Grants program.
- Walk to School Done for Another Year
Walk to School program has wrapped up for another year.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Keeping School Leavers Safe in Bass Coast
Young people from across Victoria will make their way to Phillip Island to celebrate the end of Year 12.
- Eastern Victorian Schools Complete Premiers’ Reading Challenge
Congratulations to Premiers’ Reading Challenge participants who read more than 4.3 million books.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Are You Ready To Get All Revved Up?
Latrobe City’s inaugural motorsport celebration event - Latrobe Motorfest.
- Garden Competition
Latrobe City Council’s annual garden competition now open.
- Gippsland Trail Blazes in Motorbike Safety
New pilot project for riders at Neerim State Forest.
- Gippsland Rail Services Questioned Again
Question Time used to ask benefits Gippsland commuters will receive when current rail upgrades get completed.
- Gippsland Kids Going Two Years Spartan Strong
Spartan Kids returns to Gippsland.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.
- Gippsland Train Passengers Vote with their Feet
Passengers walk away with savage cuts to V/Line.
- Getting Eastern Victorian Children Ready for School and Beyond
More than 28,000 children to benefit from a $160 million School Readiness Funding initiative.
- West Gippsland Healthcare Group Celebrates Completion of New Short Stay Unit and Third Operating Theatre
newly completed Short Stay Unit and third Operating Theatre at West Gippsland Hospital
- Providing Certainty for the Rawson School Bus
Erica to Rawson’s school bus service will continue to operate.
- Invest Gippsland Highlights all the Region has to Offer
Better access to important information about living and investing in the region with updated website.
- Cowes Wins Bike Ed Challenge
Cowes Primary School students win the annual Bass Coast Bike Ed Challenge.
- Warming up for Walk to School
Get kids walking, riding and scooting to school this October in the annual Walk to School program.
- Kids Encouraged to Walk to School
VicHealth’s Walk to School program starts this October.
- Taking Bass Coast to the City
Collaboration and sharing with councillors and staff from City of Melbourne.
- Plans Unveiled for Traralgon School
Traralgon families will get the world-class local school their kids deserve with a massive upgrade for Kosciusko Street Primary School.
- Craft Malting for Gippsland & Farmer Mental Health
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Sustainability at the Forefront for the Design of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre
Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre - first public aquatic facility in Victoria to incorporate a geothermal heating system.
- Award Winning Gippsland Businesses
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Milestone for Grow Gippsland Compact
GROW Gippsland Compact celebrates its 60 member organisations' milestone.
- Backing Nurses and Doctors in West Gippsland to do What They do Best
Funding boost awarded to West Gippsland Health Care.
- Free Tafe Graduates at Tafe Gippsland Ready for Work
Free TAFE students from TAFE Gippsland have graduated from their courses.
- Grants to Improve Technology in Gippsland Kindergartens
Kindergartens across Gippsland with grants to give them access to the latest technology.
- Works Underway on Gippsland Roads
Massive road maintenance blitz is underway across Gippsland for safer, smoother and stronger roads.
- Connecting the New College Campus
Traffic management plan for 2020 being worked on by Bass Coast Shire Council, Wonthaggi Secondary College and the Bass Coast Specialist School.
- Upgraded Classrooms and Facilities for Newborough Primary School
Bigger, better classrooms and school facilities for Newborough Primary School.
- Cowes Students Best on Bikes
Cowes Primary School cyclists team wins the 2019 Gippsland Regional Final of the Bike Ed Challenge.
- Extra Support for the Gippsland Community
Mind Australia Limited earmarked for $10 million in facility upgrades.
- Upgrading Education for All Traralgon Students
Development of masterplan options to modernise Traralgon College’s senior campus, and rebuild Latrobe Special Developmental School on the Traralgon College Junior Campus site.
- Yallourn in Full Swing for Gippsland Super 6
Inaugural PGA Tour of Australasia’s ‘Gippsland Super 6’ takes the region by storm.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.
- Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.
- Yallourn Golf Club Ready for Gippsland Super 6
Yallourn Golf Club all set for Gippsland Super 6 PGA Tournament.