• Add My News • Search Old News
Gippsland Portal Feature:
New Grants Helping Gippsland Battle Ice Addiction
Community groups take part in ice abuse in Victoria
Community groups take part in ice abuse in Victoria.
By Portal Admin - 22nd July 2018 - Back to News
Metropolitan and regional community groups are playing their part to tackle ice abuse in Victoria, thanks to funding from the Andrews Labor Government through the Community Ice Action Grants.
Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing, today launched the next round of grants, part of the Labor Government’s Ice Action Plan, to help curb ice abuse across Victoria, which affects everyone – from the breakdown of families and communities to increased hospital admissions and assaults on first responders.
The Community Ice Action Grants provide recipients with up to $10,000 each to create initiatives that will help prevent and reduce ice related harm in their own communities. Over the past three years, 38 grants have gone to services across Victoria including health services, sporting clubs and local safety committees.
Past grant recipient, AFL Gippsland, has already implemented successful community initiatives.
The Victorian Budget 2018/19 invested a record $259.9 million in alcohol and other drug services. This budget includes ongoing implementation of the $87 million Drug Rehabilitation Plan released last year, and builds on the Ice Action Plan to help save Victorian lives and help people access treatment when they need it, where they need it.
As well as doubling the number of residential rehab beds in Victoria from the previous Liberal government, the Labor Government is cracking down on dodgy rehab providers, introducing new regulations, which will require all private overnight residential withdrawal services to operate in a registered hospital.
Applications for the next round of Community Ice Action Grants are now open, with groups across Victoria invited to apply for funding to tackle ice abuse. More information about the grants can be found at ice.vic.gov.au/safer-communities.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing
The use of ice is taking a terrible toll on our communities. Initiatives like the Community Ice Action Grants will support community groups to come up with their own ways to educate people on the dangers of ice."
"Every local community is different, and we’re proud to be supporting groups to respond to ice through strategies that they think will work for their area."
"We’ll continue working with great community groups like AFL Gippsland to take action and make a difference to people trying to tackle their ice addiction."
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- Grants Help Eastern Victoria Music Venues Be Good Neighbours
Good Music Neighbours applications, now open!
- Community Grants Give Groups Fundraising Boost
Thirty-three community groups awarded at the presentation of Round 2 of the 2018 Community Grants Program.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer
Latrobe City Council appoints a new Chief Executive Officer.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
- Location Announced For New Morwell Fire Station
A new fire station in Morwell to boost to emergency services in the Latrobe Valley.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Bumper Grants Round Now Open
Complete a project plan when applying for Major Project funding.
- Helping Victorians Start Their Own Business
Back up for Victorians who want to start their own business.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- San Remo Skaters Score New Skate Park
$650,000 new skate park for San Remo
- Armistice Street Theatre Performances to Recognise the End of World War I
New free street theatre performance to recognise the 100 year anniversary of the signing of the Armistice.
- On The Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Expression of Interest (EOI) from experienced artists for a contemporary public artwork to be installed in the Bass Valley and Hinterland region.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Bass Coast Welcomes New Citizens
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony
- Historic Shed in New Home
Coels Shed relocated to the Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL) community garden.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Applications Invited For Round 2 of Environmental Grants Scheme
East Gippsland Water now inviting applications for Round 2 Native Vegetation and Habitat Creation Grants program.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Century Milestone for Community Facility and Event Grants
More than 100 community projects now realised with support from the Latrobe Valley Authority’s Community Facility Fund.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- Extra Rehabilitation Beds for Victorian Youth
New youth residential rehabilitation facility to be established in Gippsland.