Latrobe Local News:
Budget focuses on community support
Latrobe City Council today released its 2001/2002 budget for public consideration and comment.
By Latrobe City Council - 10th July 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Latrobe City Council today released its 2001/2002 budget for public consideration and comment.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, said the budget clearly focused on the maintenance of existing services and the provision of new initiatives in the area of community support.
"Council has been mindful of the need to increase support to community groups and individuals in preparing the budget. New initiatives such as community service centres and a commitment to employment programs, combined with an increased contribution to pre-schools, and the retention of the minor capital grants program, all give a clear indication that this Council is supportive of the work done by volunteers and community organisations within Latrobe," Cr Jenkins said.
"The work of these groups is critical to our community, and therefore the Council has endeavoured to provide appropriate financial and other support," Cr Jenkins said.
"Council’s road maintenance and construction program will be the largest ever, boosted by the Commonwealth Government’s Roads to Recovery program, whilst an increase in the allocation to gardens maintenance, to adequately maintain new garden and landscaping projects completed in recent years, has also been provided.
"A major redevelopment of Councils web page is currently being undertaken and provision to upgrade information technology and telecommunications infrastructure to accommodate electronic commerce capability has also been provided.
"The Capital Works Program has been increased in line with the five-year financial plan with major projects such as Stage-two of the Latrobe Regional Gallery and the rehabilitation of Old Melbourne Road being accommodated. Other capital projects include preschool improvements, pound facility upgrades, an increased footpath replacement program, the Victory Park sound shell and improvements at Lake Narracan. Other road construction and rehabilitation projects totaling $3.2 million will also be carried out," Cr Jenkins added.
Other highlights of the budget include general compliance with the five-year financial plan and debt management strategy, with no new borrowings planned. As a result of a cap imposed by the State Government on the increase to be applied to power generation facilities of 3.25%, other individual rate increases will range from 6% to 6.5%.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Northe: Budget is a Mixed Bag for LV
Mixed bag budget: need for more worthy projects and organisations.
- State Budget Reply Speech
State Budget Reply
- Daniel Andrews’ Budget Delay Good for Labor, Bad for Victorians
Shameful delay in State Budget.
- Council Seeks Community Feedback on Draft 2019/20 Budget
Wanted: Community Feedback for Draft 2019/20 Budget.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Community Input Needed for Off-Leash Areas
Community input needed on potential off-leash beach areas.
- Community Spirit Shines Bright for Flynn Hall Makeover
A 97-year-old building can serve the community once again, thanks to the people of the small Latrobe City township of Flynn.
- Community-Led Road Safety Initiatives Funded
VicRoads Community Road Safety Grants Program's 1.3 million fund for road safety awareness.
- Community Grants Give Groups Fundraising Boost
Thirty-three community groups awarded at the presentation of Round 2 of the 2018 Community Grants Program.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- Community Grants Attract Record Applications
Numerous applications requesting over $285,000 in grant funding.
- Community Input Needed on Masterplans
Future of Blue Gum Reserve in Cowes and Harold Hughes Reserve in Corinella.
- Backing Community Projects in Baw Baw
Support for community projects across Baw Baw Shire.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Building a Community Hospital on Phillip Island
Re-elected Andrews Labor Government to deliver the Phillip Island Community Hospital in Cowes.
- Century Milestone for Community Facility and Event Grants
More than 100 community projects now realised with support from the Latrobe Valley Authority’s Community Facility Fund.
- Boosting Community Safety in Traralgon
Funding for the Traralgon Reserves and Pathways Lighting Improvements project announced.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Putting the Hill End Community First In Baw Baw Shire
Andrews Labor Government heeds Hill End community to retain the iconic Hill End Primary School for community use.
- Northe Urges Community to "Speak Up"
Upcoming Tom Curtain "Speak Up" tour
- Council Welcomes Location for Phillip Island Community Hospital
Improved access to health services with Phillip Island Community Hospital.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- Farmers’ Market Support Program to return: only under Liberal Nationals
An elected Liberal Nationals Government plans to bring back the Farmers’ Market Support
Program axed by Labor.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Northe Acknowledges Community Leaders
Contributions from community leaders, acknowledged.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Building on the Men’s Shed Community in Toongabbie
Toongabbie & District Men’s Shed extension opens today!
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Aged and Disability Services Continue to Support our Community
Continued aged support through transition.
- Still a Flood of Support for Pondage
Overflow of support to reopen Hazelwood Pondage.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Council to Back Call for Newstart Increase
Bass Coast Shire Council supports increase Newstart Allowance payments.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Daniel Andrews Cuts Support to Our Veterans
From $10.5 million to $7.7 million for Veterans.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- No Plan, No Money for Regional Victoria Under Labor
Premier blows the budget on metro projects, but no plans for Regional Victoria.
- Council Rates Must Be Part of Drought Relief
Call for further steps for drought relief.
- Council Commit Funds to Sound Shell
Additional $150,000 toward the Inverloch Sound Shell project.
- Labor isn’t Listening to Disability Sector’s Call for Change
Labor’s State Budget has no vision for disability sector.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Northe Congratulates Good Friday Appeal Community Leaders
Contributors to Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal acknoweledged.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Young Leaders Celebrate Community
Students in the 2019 Bass Coast Young Leader program parcipates in a workshop to celebrate their community.
A call for support for #BuildingLatrobe.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Funding Extension for Council’s Rural Access Program
Support for disability with Building Inclusive Communities ‘Rural Access’ Program.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 18 March
A snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 18 March
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 6 May
May 6 Council Meeting Round-Up
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 3 June
Below is a snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 3 June 2019.
- Northe Raises Need for Industry Support and Jobs
Spotlight on LV unemployment.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.