Latrobe Local News:
Housing initiative welcomed by Council
Latrobe City Council has welcomed the announcement by the Minister for Post Compulsory Education, Employment and Training, Lynne Kosky, of a M$2.4 initiative through the Community Jobs Program
By Latrobe City Council - 8th August 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Latrobe City Council has welcomed the announcement by the Minister for Post Compulsory Education, Employment and Training, Lynne Kosky, of a M$2.4 initiative through the Community Jobs Program (CJP) for the refurbishment of a further twenty surplus Housing Commission homes, following the successful Kent Street pilot project in Moe.
Deputy Mayor, Councillor Tony Hanning said it was fantastic news for the Latrobe Valley and would provide a significant boost for employment prospects for those participating in the projects.
"The State Government is to be congratulated on their initiative. Their announcement today is an indication of their ongoing commitment to the region. The funding announced today is not simply a reiteration of previously announced initiatives in the Taskforce Report. This is considerable additional assistance for the region," Cr Hanning said.
"The Ď12 Kent Streetí project and Latrobeís role in leading the way in community based initiatives, aroused considerable interest among local, State and Federal government representatives. The State Minister for Housing, Bronwyn Pike, indicated when she officially opened 12 Kent Street in June that she was impressed with what had been achieved in this community. Todayís announcement demonstrates the Governmentís faith in this communityís ability to help itself when given the tools to do the job, and their confidence that investing in this community delivers results," Cr Hanning said.
"These projects show what can be achieved when the community is given the necessary assistance to build on its strengths. In this case, whole streetscapes can be enhanced by utilising community skills and community know-how, turning housing that has often seen better days into an attractive living environment. I think we can be extremely proud of the fact that the whole idea of urban redevelopment through projects such as these was generated by one of our own Council officers," Cr Hanning added.
"We look forward to seeing the results of todayís announcement turned into creative housing developments, inviting homes and an enriched quality of life, not just for those citizens participating in the projects, but for the whole community," Cr Hanning concluded.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- New Initiative Opens Cultural Doors for Locals
Distance and transport will no longer be a barrier for Latrobe Valley residents wanting to attend cultural events in the regional city.
- Council to seek legal advice over Ministerís ULAB decision
Council voted to seek advice from a Senior Counsel after being disappointed by the Ministerís decision in approving an amendment.
- Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Sharon Gibson is the new Mayor of Latrobe City
- Councilís Responsibilities during the Local Council Election Period
Council Election Caretaker Period from Tuesday 22 September to Saturday 24 October at 6pm.
- Council Works with Community towards COVID Recovery
You can still call Council on 1300 367 700 and receive assistance with COVID-19 related matters.
- Council working to help Business Access Outdoor Dining Assistance
$87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package ready to assist local businesses.
- Council Grants Support the Community
138 projects funded through its Community Grants and Community Sponsorship programs.
- Council welcomes VinFast to Bass Coast
VinFast to establish business in Bass Coast that will help support local jobs, while also acknowledging the value of the surrounding bushland.
- Big Housing Build for Eastern Victoria
Biggest ever investment in public and community housing.
- Youth Council Spreads Health Message
Good Food for Mental Health project was identified to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for the Latrobe City population.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Bass Coast Shire Council makes more service changes due to COVID
Face-to-face customer services and visitor services will cease at Wonthaggi, Cowes and Inverloch and will operate in other communication means.
- Latrobe Cityís Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support membersí transition to COVID Normal.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Labor Giving City Projects a Leg Up, but Forcing Country Communities to their Knees
Tangled red and green tape makes it too difficult for people to develop in regional Victoria.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiersí Reading Challenge.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- International Rose Garden Festival and Outdoor Dining Initiative
International Rose Garden Festival and a complementary Outdoor Dining Initiative in Morwell.
- Traralgon Renewable Energy Project Supported by Latrobe City Council
Renewable energy project at Traralgon Neighbourhood Learning House.
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Bush Crew beautifies Latrobe City
Workers found new employment after losing their jobs during the pandemic through beautification of Latrobe City.
- Celebrating Childrenís Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this yearís Childrenís Week celebrations.
- Aquatic centre access a win for Latrobe Leisure members
Leisure members to have complementary access on GRAC according to membership classification.
- Building & Improving Kindergartens in the Latrobe Valley for the Future
Victoria rolls out funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Ministers Reply Sought on CFA Tankers
118 days after, no response yet from the Minister for Police and Emergency Services.
- Caring for our Diverse Community
Council appointed new members to the City Cultural Diversity Advisory Committee.
- Minister Sitting on the Fence on Duck Hunting Season
Coalition against duck shooting, running a negative campaign.
- Driver Testing Finally Moving Forward
Clarity welcomed in regards to driver licence testing arrangements for local drivers.
- Draft Climate Action Plan 2020-24 Endorsed by Council
The Plan identifies a number of actions to undertake to achieve the objective of zero net emissions over the next 10 years and to ensure a climate resilient community.
- Supporting Our Music Industry in the Latrobe Valley
Survival grants for local live music venues and new grants to protect music jobs on stage.
- Voucher Program Supports Businesses
Councilís Business Support Voucher program to help local businesses.
- Bass Coast Welcomes Funding for Public and Community Housing
$25 million for Bass Coast
- Used Lead Acid Battery (ULAB) recycling facility at Hazelwood North
Council to continue strong support and ensure community sentiments will be communicated with the government.
- Funding sought for recreation projects
Council to fund to redevelop and improve cricket training facilities.