• Add My News • Search Old News
Latrobe Local News:
New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
By Portal Admin - 5th November 2018 - Back to News
A Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre will be developed at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe, with $3.5 million in funding through the Victorian Government and the Latrobe Valley Authority. The Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre is a partnership between Cricket Australia, Cricket Victoria and the State Government. Tenders for design and construction of the centre closed on Tuesday with the aim of announcing a successful contractor in coming weeks.
Latrobe City Council’s mayor, Councillor Darrell White, said the development of the Regional Cricket Centre at Moe would benefit the entire Gippsland region, one of the strongest country areas for cricket participation.
"There are around 5000 people playing the sport in this region, from juniors through to veterans. The addition of a state-of-the-art cricket training centre will go a long way towards developing some homegrown talent for future cricketing stardom," Cr White said.
The facility will be a multi-purpose centre catering to a diverse cross-section of community groups and sporting clubs and include a state of the art indoor cricket training centre, incorporating cutting edge technology to facilitate high-level coaching and player education.
"Since its redevelopment in 2011, the Ted Summerton Reserve has built a reputation as a regional venue of choice for elite sporting events. As well as being a regular host for regional and local football, netball and cricket finals matches, it has also hosted AFL and AFLW clashes. And the Melbourne Stars have adopted Latrobe City as their ‘home away from home’ and will play a Big Bash game at the Ted Summerton Reserve, which will be televised, showcasing the facility to the world.
"We’d like to think of it becoming Gippsland’s own ‘MCG’.
"For the local and regional cricketers, the training centre will provide a new pathway towards development, supporting the ambitions of our younger players who want to aim high. Gippsland has already produced a wealth of talent in terms of elite cricketers – Peter Siddle from Morwell, Brad Knowles from Yinnar, Cameron White from Bairnsdale, Sophie Molineux from Bairnsdale and Nicole Faltum from Moe, plus a wealth of others, have played at the top level.
"This centre will be a physical base from which our local sports stars of the future can cut their teeth without having to travel to the city. Development of this kind of facility is a boost not only to Latrobe City as a Regional City but to wider Gippsland, where we have the passion and the drive to succeed but we are often hampered by a lack of access or opportunity," Cr White concluded.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Pitch Perfect Start for Cricket Centre of Excellence
New Cricket Centre of Excellence at Ted Summerton Reserve now underway.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- New Collaborations for Gippsland’s Food and Fibre Sector
Gippsland’s food and fibre industry is set to continue its growth and market presence.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- New Wy Yung Water Storage
Preparations for a new 36 million litre water storage tank in Wy Yung.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- A New Look for Bass Coast Children’s Centre
A bright new learning space for Bass Coast Children’s Centre.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Parks for Waterline Skaters
Construction of permanent Skate Parks, now underway.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Three new Labor taxes celebrate their third birthday
Labor taxes' anniversary.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- Applications Invited For Round 2 of Environmental Grants Scheme
East Gippsland Water now inviting applications for Round 2 Native Vegetation and Habitat Creation Grants program.
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- Location Announced For New Morwell Fire Station
A new fire station in Morwell to boost to emergency services in the Latrobe Valley.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- San Remo Skaters Score New Skate Park
$650,000 new skate park for San Remo
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- On The Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Expression of Interest (EOI) from experienced artists for a contemporary public artwork to be installed in the Bass Valley and Hinterland region.
- Historic Shed in New Home
Coels Shed relocated to the Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL) community garden.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Gippsland’s Leading Food and Fibre Organisations to Amalgamate
New entity supports Gippy food and fibre sectors
- Gippsland, a Tourism Boom that Keeps Growing
New data showed 2018 as tourism industry's biggest year.
- Bass Coast Welcomes New Citizens
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony
- Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Gippsland Line Passengers Urged to Plan Ahead During April
State-wide Autumn transport construction blitz for metropolitan lines.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Delve Into Art This May
Gippsland celebrates ‘Come and Play All of May
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- Startup Gippsland Participant Wins a trip to China
Founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps wins 2 day hackathon in Nanjing, China.
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Record Bass Stockings into Blue Rock
Bass stocked into Gippsland to improve inland recreational fishing opportunities.
- Advocating for Two Priority Pools
$60 million wanted for two Aquatics projects: A new pool for Phillip Island and the redevelopment of the Bass Coast Aquatic Centre in Wonthaggi.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Statement on Royal Commission into Mental Health
Statement on Royal Commission into Mental Health