• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Fixing Local Roads in Bass Coast Shire
Bass Coast Shire gets help to fix local road network with $100 million Fixing Country Roads Program.
By Portal Admin - 12th November 2018 - Back to News
The Andrews Labor Government will help Bass Coast Shire fix its local road network through the $100 million Fixing Country Roads Program.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing today announced more $600,000 to rehabilitate and widen a 620-metre section of Loch-Wonthaggi Road.
The upgrade will involve completely rebuilding this section of road, as well as installing new guardrail and fresh line-marking to improve safety.
Loch-Wonthaggi Road is an important freight route and services the region’s dairy, agricultural and tourism industries.
Bass Coast Shire has co-contributed $50,000 to the project and will deliver this local road upgrade by June 2019.
The $100 million Fixing Country Roads Program is part of Labor’s record $941 million invested in regional roads.
These grants are on top of the $333 million dedicated to regional road maintenance, which is being delivered by the new country roads authority – Regional Roads Victoria (RRV).
Applications for round two of the Fixing Country Roads Program will open in early 2019.
For more information, visit regionalroads.vic.gov.au.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"Since coming to office we’ve doubled spending on road maintenance to make sure that regional Victorians get the road works they need."
"This investment will ensure council managed roads, like Loch-Wonthaggi Road aren’t left behind as we rollout our record investment in country roads."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Bass Coast Shire Council Mayor and Deputy Mayor Elections
Cr Brett Tessari gets re-elected as Mayor and Cr Geoff Ellis was elected Deputy Mayor for the 2019/20 term.
- Northe Calls for Local Funding Budget Considerations
Requests for additional support and meaningful investment for local community groups, organisations and projects that would build local infrastructure and create local jobs.
- Report Recommends Bass Coast beach Safety Strategies
This is a joint release from Bass Coast Shire Council and Life Saving Victoria.
- Taking Bass Coast to the City
Collaboration and sharing with councillors and staff from City of Melbourne.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Narracan
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Northe Tips Hat to Local Legends and Leaders
Northe salutes local legends and leaders.
- Turning Vacant Places to Local Creative Spaces in Eastern Victoria
Projects to develop new creative spaces under Regional Coworking Spaces and Creative Places program.
- Bass Oval to Shine Brighter
Lighting upgrade grant to Bass Recreation Reserve.
- Securing the Future for Local Forestry Industry Workers
Actions taken to ensure long-term and sustainable future for Victoria’s forestry industry and for local workers that rely on it.
- Vaccinations for Local Students
Nearly 1,000 vaccinations administered to Year 7 students this year as part of the Secondary School Immunisation Program.
- Tee – Up for Mental Health Golf Day Supports Local Organisations
Local golf day event held in conjunction with the Rotary Club of Traralgon to help raise funds to support Mental Health First Aid training courses.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.
- Investing in Bass Coast
Progress in the past 12 months with Council's Economic Development Strategy 2016-2021.
- Skating Around Bass Coast
New Skate Park officially opens.
- Record Grants Funding to Protect Local Heritage
$3 million in grants to protect Victoria’s most important cultural landmarks and buildings.
- Sheepways Road Renewal Continues
Pavement renewal works along Sheepways Road is now underway.
- Loch-Wonthaggi Road Upgrades on the Way
Road users will need to use either Archies Creek Road, West Creek Road or Heslop Road throughout the duration of the closure of Loch-Wonthaggi Road.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Works Underway on Gippsland Roads
Massive road maintenance blitz is underway across Gippsland for safer, smoother and stronger roads.
- Keeping School Leavers Safe in Bass Coast
Young people from across Victoria will make their way to Phillip Island to celebrate the end of Year 12.
- $50,000 Awarded to Baw Baw Shire to Prevent Crime
Improving Community Safety in Drouin project to receive $50,000.
- Land purchased for Phillip Island Transfer Station
Bass Coast Shire Council has purchased land on Back Beach Road in Phillip Island for the new Phillip Island Transfer Station and Council Depot.
- Seeking Funding For Recreation Projects
Bass Coast Shire Council will apply for up to $1.7 million in funding from Sport and Recreation Victoria, to complete projects in Wonthaggi and Dalyston, worth a combined $3.885 million.
- Next Steps for Wonthaggi Activity Centre Plan
Bass Coast Shire Council’s Draft Wonthaggi Activity Centre Plan has been developed to establish a vision for Wonthaggi for the next 20 years and to reinforce Wonthaggi’s role as a regional centre.
- Newhaven Skate Park Project to Progress
Bass Coast Shire Council voted to authorise Grayden’s Reserve in Newhaven as the preferred site for the Regional Skate Park and Playspace Project last Wednesday.
- Climate Action Starts Here
Bass Coast Shire Council has declared a climate emergency and is committed to developing a Climate Change Action Plan for 2020-2030.
- Putting Out the Call for a New Kind of Art
Bass Coast Shire Council calls for expressions of interest for 2019/20 project.
- Achievements Highlighted in Annual Report
Bass Coast Shire Council's performance presented in the 2018/19 Annual Report.
- Master Plans Adopted
Bass Coast Shire Council meeting adopted master plans for Reserves.
- Council’s Work Awarded
Bass Coast Shire Council received two national awards.
- Harman Wines Goes Back to Back
Bass Coast Shire Council’s annual Business Awards
- Climate Change is an Emergency
Bass Coast Climate Change Action Plan 2020-30 on its development.
- Seniors Recognised for Outstanding Contributions
Local seniors group recognised for providing opportunities for older Victorians to get involved in day walks, walking holidays and other social events.
- Government’s Native Timber Argument Falling Down
Local concerns raised following the decision by the State Government to cease the harvesting of native timber by 2030.
- Parliament Pursuits | 15-17 October 2019
Local matters advocated in Parliament.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Connecting the New College Campus
Traffic management plan for 2020 being worked on by Bass Coast Shire Council, Wonthaggi Secondary College and the Bass Coast Specialist School.
- Nominate your Aussie hero!
Nominations for 2020 Bass Coast Australia Day Awards Citizen of the Year or Young Citizen of the Year now open.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Longwarry
Keeping the legacy of local veterans alive with funding to support the Longwarry RSL Sub-Branch Inc upgrade the Longwarry War Memorial.
- Inverloch Hub and Wonthaggi Depot Go Solar
Completion of rooftop solar systems installations at Bass Coast Shire Council’s Wonthaggi Depot site and the Inverloch Community Hub.
- Northe Shares Concerns Over Timber Industry Shutdown
Massive impact upon local employment and our local economy predicted as timber industry closes.
- Council Supports Marine Park plan
Development for Bass Coast Marine and Coastal Park gets supported.
- Get Informed About Grants
Applications are now open for Round One of Bass Coast Shire Council’s 2020 Community Grants Program.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Resolution Must be Found for Derelict Buildings
Support and outrage from local communities to clean up abandoned and derelict buildings is rising.
- Northe Tables Petition Calling for Fire Track Action
Petition to ensure access to local fire emergency are adequately maintained and accessible to first responders.
- Parliament Pursuits | 29-31 October 2019
Advocacy for local matters in Parliament pursuits.
- Helping More School Kids Stay Safe in the Sun in Rawson
77 schools will share in an almost $1 million School Shade Grants program.
- Expanding Food Relief for Families in Baw Baw Shire
Baw Baw Shire families and community members will have increased access to emergency food relief with a $48,500 in funding.