Latrobe Local News:
Minister’s assurance on alternative Good Beginnings funding welcomed
Latrobe City Council has welcomed an assurance by the Federal Minister, that he is looking at other options for funding the Good Beginnings program in Latrobe.
By Latrobe City Council - 30th April 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Latrobe City Council has welcomed an assurance by the Federal Minister for Community Services, Larry Anthony, that his department is looking at other options for funding the Good Beginnings program in Latrobe.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins said that the Minister’s assurances provided the community at last with some hope for the ongoing sustainability of the program.
"The generous donation of $30,000 by a local benefactor to ensure the Good Beginnings program kept going in the interim, is an indication of the esteem in which the program is held, and a recognition of the program’s intrinsic value to the local community," Cr Jenkins said.
"Perhaps more than the groundswell of protest by local government and community groups, the donation from an anonymous benefactor was the pin that finally pricked the Federal Government’s conscience over what could be considered an error of judgement," Cr Jenkins said.
"The Good Beginnings Program, based in Moe, but covering other parts of Latrobe has been providing valuable support for families in the first stages of parenting, and children in the early years of life. Not only has the program been very well supported by local families, but it has been acknowledged by community agencies as doing a great job.
"When it came to re-funding the program, other parts of the pilot project located in Katherine, Hobart, and inner western Sydney received further funding, but additional funding for Latrobe was inexplicably rejected," Cr Jenkins explained.
"We were totally amazed and perplexed about that decision. There was really no good explanation as to why the Latrobe program had not been funded, when the other three projects, which were all part of the same pilot program, received full funding for a further two years," Cr Jenkins said.
"Whatever the Federal Government’s reasoning, whether there was an error in the assessment process, or a miscalculation in determining the region’s needs, we are glad to be advised by the Minister that all is not lost, and that there is a second chance draw, where Federal funding for child abuse prevention is concerned.
"Family and child support is not merely an expendable contingency of community life. There is an ongoing need for resources which requires an understanding by government at all levels, and sustainable strategies to implement effective programs.
"Good Beginnings has demonstrated the benefits a program of this calibre can deliver to the community. Council now feels confident, given the Minister’s assurances, that Latrobe’s Good Beginnings Program will satisfy the criteria needed to secure alternative funding," Cr Jenkins concluded.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Minister, Labor’s Regional Cuts Are Nothing to be ‘Proud’ of
Minister was proud in cutting the Regional Growth Fund.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Latrobe City Council Joins Small Business Support Scheme
Latrobe City joins Small Business Friendly Council initiative.
- Planning Minister hits pause on Cape Paterson
Residential development in Cape Paterson North deferred.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Funding Extension for Council’s Rural Access Program
Support for disability with Building Inclusive Communities ‘Rural Access’ Program.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Funding Boosts Local Sports Clubs in Morwell Electorate
Get active as four local sporting clubs gets funded.
- New Funding to Strengthen Disability Rights
Funding boost to strengthen disability rights.
- Funding Boost for Newborough’s Athletes
10 new multi-sport courts and a pavilion to be constructed.
- Funding Helps Seal the Deal
Round two for multiple local road projects.
- Northe Congratulates Good Friday Appeal Community Leaders
Contributors to Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal acknoweledged.
- Latrobe City Draft Cultural Diversity Action Plan 2019 – 2023
Draft to focus to continue to improve services and information that are inclusive of people from diverse backgrounds.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- More Funding Announced For Environment Volunteers in Eastern Victoria
Opening of the 2019-2020 Victorian Landcare Grant.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe – Gippsland’s Unemployment Rate Continues to Fall
Latrobe-Gippsland's conquering unemployment.
- Daniel Andrews’ Budget Delay Good for Labor, Bad for Victorians
Shameful delay in State Budget.
- Latrobe Valley’s Nurses, Doctors and Paramedics Rise to the Challenge
Busy flu season for Latrobe Valley health care providers.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe – Gippsland’s Unemployment Rate at Record Low
We have a record low 3.2% regional unemployment in Latrobe-Gippsland says Australian Bureau of Statistics data.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Valley Power Stations
Possible early closure of Latrobe Valley Power Stations
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Great Local Ideas Secure Funding Through Pick My Project
vital funding through Pick My Project
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Infrastructure Barriers to Latrobe City Investment and Jobs
- Grants Help Eastern Victoria Music Venues Be Good Neighbours
Good Music Neighbours applications, now open!
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Designs Released For Latrobe Valley Govhub
Artist impressions of the $30 million GovHub, released.
- New Era Kicks Off for Latrobe Valley Soccer
Newly installed FIFA accredited synthetic pitch at Gippsland Regional Centre.
- Bass Coast joins Application for Rural Council Transformation Program Funding
Bass Coast Shire Council applies for funding to establish the next stage of a shared services entity in Gippsland.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Council to Back Call for Newstart Increase
Bass Coast Shire Council supports increase Newstart Allowance payments.
- Council Welcomes Location for Phillip Island Community Hospital
Improved access to health services with Phillip Island Community Hospital.
- Council Seeks Community Feedback on Draft 2019/20 Budget
Wanted: Community Feedback for Draft 2019/20 Budget.
- Council Rates Must Be Part of Drought Relief
Call for further steps for drought relief.
- Council Commit Funds to Sound Shell
Additional $150,000 toward the Inverloch Sound Shell project.
- Morwell Rose Garden Festival Funding
A $100,000 Federal Government funding to expand the Morwell Rose Garden Festival.
- Delivering Jobs for The Latrobe Valley
Businesses encouraged to register their interest.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Baw Baw Shire Council Joins Small Business Support Scheme
Baw Baw Shire joins Small Business Friendly Council initiative.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 6 May
May 6 Council Meeting Round-Up
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 18 March
A snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 18 March
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 3 June
Below is a snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 3 June 2019.
- Developing an Aquaculture Industry in Latrobe Valley
Andrews Labor Government partners with a premium barramundi supplier to start aquaculture facility in Latrobe.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!