Harriet Shing MP:
Gippsland Sports Stadium Now Game-Ready
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium (GRISS) now ready for games.
By Portal Admin - 21st December 2020 - Back to News
The newly named Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium (GRISS) is ready to host a variety of blockbuster games thanks to support from the Andrews Labor Government.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing and Latrobe City Mayor Sharon Gibson today officially opened the stadium in Traralgon.
The Catterick Crescent stadium underwent a major redevelopment and expansion over the past 12 months thanks to a $19 million investment by the Labor Government to increase local sporting participation and attract major events to the region.
The stadium now features nine courts, a show court with 3000 spectator seats, office space, training rooms, a cafeteria and caters for a range of indoor sports including basketball, netball, badminton and dodgeball.
Through partnerships facilitated by the Latrobe Valley Authority’s Sports and Community Initiative, the GRISS is already securing major sporting events and activities.
The Deakin Melbourne Boomers today announced two in-season WNBL games will be played at the stadium over the next two seasons. Collingwood Netball Club have also announced they will bring national level Suncorp Super Netball to the region for three days in March, packed with games and community activities at the stadium.
The National Basketball League is locked-in to host 3x3 basketball tournaments across Gippsland in January, with the finals to be played at the stadium. Hawthorn Netball Club will also play state level netball games at the stadium over the next two years.
Economic modelling shows the Government’s $85 million Latrobe Valley Authority Sports and Community Initiative has created work for more than 430 people across six major sites, including the sports stadium redevelopment in Traralgon. The $19 million redevelopment delivered an estimated 23 direct jobs with about 170 individual workers inducted to site throughout the build.
The project was funded by the Labor Government including $17 million from the Latrobe Valley Authority’s $85 million Sports and Community Initiative, and a further $2 million loan top-up from Sport and Recreation Victoria’s Community Sports Infrastructure Loan Scheme.
Quote attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria, Harriet Shing
"The newly redeveloped Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium is already helping to bring major sporting events to the region."
"These new facilities are continuing our commitment to the Valley, through partnerships with elite sporting organisations such as the Deakin Melbourne Boomers, Collingwood Netball Club, the National Basketball League and the Hawthorn Netball Club."
Quote attributable to Minister for Community Sport, Ros Spence
"With local trades and suppliers playing a big part in the stadium redevelopment – the benefits of this project have been far reaching, generating local employment opportunities, opening more doors to sport for all and providing an economic boost for the region."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Gippsland to Share in Tafe Upgrade Blitz
TAFE Gippsland to receive more than $4.3 million for modernisation and upgrades of learning spaces and and facilities at Warragul and Morwell schools.
- Startup Gippsland Funding to Launch Entrepreneurial Tech Program
$250,000 grant to allow Startup Gippsland to provide pre-accelerator programs targeting non-tech founders with tech-focused startups.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Helping Gippsland’s Competition Survive and Thrive
Boost given to Gippsland community sport to help local leagues and associations ride out the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Training Gippsland Students to Get the Jobs They Want
Training students on variety of sectors for a good career.
- Growing Gippsland’s Future Health Workforce
$200,000 for a feasibility study for a Community Health Hub and Clinic at the Gippsland campus in Churchill.
- Northe – Gippsland business grants
Grants are available to help Gippsland businesses in the region that have been doing it extremely tough, with a number unable to open their doors or only offer limited service. Russell Northe said he cautiously welcomes this announcement.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- Putting Gippsland people first
No Victorian left behind with the Victorian Budget 2020/21.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Ride Nation Launches in Gippsland with First Bike Library
Gippsland's first bike library.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Amazing multi-million dollar Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre opens
Opening of a new recreational centre with wide array of health and fitness activities for people across the region. It greatly improve the well-being of community benefits and help economic growth.
- Trees take centre stage at Gippsland Performing Arts Centre
Man-made trees as grand feature of the facility, welcoming the visitors.
- Northe renews calls for lifeline Gippsland funding amid budget shun
Calls for increased funding for Lifeline Gippsland renewed.
- Slam Dunk for Indoor Sports Stadium
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- Supporting Small-Scale School Building Projects in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Important upgrades to Victorian schools.
- More Services along the Gippsland Line
Improved train frequency and reliability with a redesigned timetable effective early next year.
- Now is time to register your pet
Registering and having your pet microchipped as part of being a responsible owner.
- Bringing More Clean Energy to Gippsland
The Victorian Government is helping more Gippsland businesses use renewable energy technologies to reduce electricity costs, create local jobs and support clean power
- Plan Now for Winter Firewood Needs
From September 1, designated firewood collection areas opened across Victoria.
- Ramping up support for local sports infrastructure
Government to help improve the wellbeing outcomes and participation of communities through high-quality recreation infrastructure.
- Taxi fares lift lid on Andrews’ neglect of Gippsland trains
Trains needing upgrades to be more reliable and accessible to the public.
- Register Now to Detox your Home
Detox Your Home: free service to dispose of unwanted toxic chemicals.
- Career Development Boosted across Gippsland
Free online Micro-Credentialing of Enterprise Skills Program.
- Targeting Weeds and Pests across West Gippsland
Funding for weeds and pests eradication under Roadside Weeds and Pests Fund.
- Lighting Upgrades to Benefit Sports Clubs
Four recreation reserves get lighting upgrades.
- New geothermal aquatic centre opens in Gippsland
Opening of a facility to help the community's wellness and economy.
- Innovation Centre Brings Hundreds of Jobs to Gippsland
Innovation centre to create more jobs for Latrobe Valley.
Innovation centre to create more jobs for Latrobe Valley.
- Water Security Win for Central and West Gippsland
$15 million water system to increase water security, completed.
- Multicultural Media Boost to Reach More Victorians
Gippsland FM Community Radio Society Co-operative Ltd will receive $6300.00 to target the station's expanding podcasts menu.
- Business Support Vouchers Now Available
$1.7M Business and Community Support and Recovery Package in June this year in response to COVID-19 shutdowns
- Sporting Club Grants Now Open
2020/2021 Sporting Club Grants are now open for application.
- Animal welfare grants now open
Animal welfare fund grants are now open for applications.
- Community satisfaction survey now underway
Survey phone calls to be conducted to assess the council's performance,to identify areas in need of improvements and more effective service.
- Community Safety Grants Now Open
Open application for grants through Government's Building for Safer Communities Program.
- Big boom, big boon for Aquatic Centre
Major splash at the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- Sole Trader Support Fund Applications Now Open
Victorian Governments Sole Trader Support Fund is now open for application.
- Bass Coast is ready for Christmas
Council to allocate budget to fund Christmas decorations in major centres
- World Game Facilities - Fund Applications Now Open
$20 Million World Game Facilities Fund now open for applications.
- Regional Travel Scheme Launched
Regional Travel Voucher Scheme launched with first 40,000 vouchers valued at $200 each available to be redeemed for travel between Saturday, 12 December 2020 and Friday, 22 January 2021.
- Wheel Wash Ready to Roll
On landfill management,Council installed a truck wheel wash unit at the Grantville Transfer Station.