Harriet Shing MP:
Helping Gippsland’s Competition Survive and Thrive
Boost given to Gippsland community sport to help local leagues and associations ride out the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
By Portal Admin - 9th August 2020 - Back to News
Community sport in Gippsland has been given a boost thanks to a grant from the Victorian Government aimed at helping local leagues and associations ride out the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and come back ready to play.
Member for Eastern Victoria, Harriet Shing MP today announced ten grants have been approved in the region from the Government’s Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package.
This will enable the following associations to help them meet fixed costs to ensure they can remain operationally viable and provide a valuable boost for their clubs and membership.
- Gippsland League, Morwell
- Latrobe Valley & District Cricket League Incorporated, Morwell
- Latrobe Valley Baseball Association Inc, Morwell
- Traralgon Amateur Basketball Association, Traralgon
- West Gippsland Football Netball Competition, Morwell
- Central Gippsland Junior Football League Inc, Newborough
- Mid Gippsland Badminton Association Inc., Warragul
- Mid Gippsland Junior Badminton Association Inc, Warragul
- Moe and District Netball Association, Moe
- West Gippsland Hockey Association Inc, Drouin
It will also help them safely operate and reactivate at the other side of the coronavirus pandemic.
Since the start of the coronavirus shutdown, the community sport and active recreation sector has suffered significant revenue losses, putting sporting associations, leagues and clubs at financial risk.
The Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package is rolling out grants in four categories: grants of up to $350,000 for large state sporting associations; grants of up to $200,000 to smaller state sporting associations, regional sports assemblies and academies and other state sport and recreational bodies; grants of up to $15,000 for associations and leagues; and grants of $1,000 for individual clubs.
There are now 200 local leagues and associations across the state who have scored a share in more than $1.4 million thanks to the Victorian Government’s Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package.
The grants are part of the Government’s strong investment in supporting community sport and active recreation in these challenging times.
The Victorian Government is also investing $68 million in shovel-ready community sport and active recreation infrastructure projects across the state, to stimulate jobs and economic activity, and deliver fantastic new projects to local communities as part of the new $2.7 Building Works package.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria, Harriet Shing MP
"These associations are an integral part of our local community. The Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Survival Package is helping the competition and clubs keep their eyes towards a return to play."
"Ensuring community sport and active recreation organisations survive this crisis and come back better than ever is critical to our economic and social recovery, and to our community’s physical and mental wellbeing."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Help us shape our Community Engagement Policy
The final Policy is expected to be considered for adoption at the February 2021 Council Meeting.
- Help shape the Traralgon recreation reserve and showgrounds
A masterplan draft for Traralgon Recreation Reserve to be released for public exhibition.
- Help shape the future of Moe
A project that invites community to express their ideas.
- Gippsland Sports Stadium Now Game-Ready
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium (GRISS) now ready for games.
- Gippsland to Share in Tafe Upgrade Blitz
TAFE Gippsland to receive more than $4.3 million for modernisation and upgrades of learning spaces and and facilities at Warragul and Morwell schools.
- Startup Gippsland Funding to Launch Entrepreneurial Tech Program
$250,000 grant to allow Startup Gippsland to provide pre-accelerator programs targeting non-tech founders with tech-focused startups.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Northe – Gippsland business grants
Grants are available to help Gippsland businesses in the region that have been doing it extremely tough, with a number unable to open their doors or only offer limited service. Russell Northe said he cautiously welcomes this announcement.
- Council working to help Business Access Outdoor Dining Assistance
$87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package ready to assist local businesses.
- Growing Gippsland’s Future Health Workforce
$200,000 for a feasibility study for a Community Health Hub and Clinic at the Gippsland campus in Churchill.
- Training Gippsland Students to Get the Jobs They Want
Training students on variety of sectors for a good career.
- Latrobe funding helps Bass Coast businesses grow
Grants available for small local businesses, applications are now being accepted.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Putting Gippsland people first
No Victorian left behind with the Victorian Budget 2020/21.
- Ride Nation Launches in Gippsland with First Bike Library
Gippsland's first bike library.
- Shocktober Campaign aims to help Save Lives in Regional Victoria
Ambulance Victoria are encouraging communities to learn CPR and how to use an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED), everyday 18 Victorians suffer a cardiac arrest, this can happen to anyone anywhere at any time.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Amazing multi-million dollar Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre opens
Opening of a new recreational centre with wide array of health and fitness activities for people across the region. It greatly improve the well-being of community benefits and help economic growth.
- Trees take centre stage at Gippsland Performing Arts Centre
Man-made trees as grand feature of the facility, welcoming the visitors.
- Northe renews calls for lifeline Gippsland funding amid budget shun
Calls for increased funding for Lifeline Gippsland renewed.
- Bringing More Clean Energy to Gippsland
The Victorian Government is helping more Gippsland businesses use renewable energy technologies to reduce electricity costs, create local jobs and support clean power
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- Annual Christmas Card Competition Winners Announced
2020 winners of his annual Christmas Card design competition
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- Supporting Small-Scale School Building Projects in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Important upgrades to Victorian schools.
- Career Development Boosted across Gippsland
Free online Micro-Credentialing of Enterprise Skills Program.
- More Services along the Gippsland Line
Improved train frequency and reliability with a redesigned timetable effective early next year.
- Multicultural Media Boost to Reach More Victorians
Gippsland FM Community Radio Society Co-operative Ltd will receive $6300.00 to target the station's expanding podcasts menu.
- Major boost for local road projects
Road upgrades to make road use safer pedestrians and motorists.
- Liberal Nationals’ Positive Plan to Freeze Bills to Help Households
Freezing a raft of fees and charges as a means to financially assist Victorian families.
- Cowes Skate Park Competition
Scoot, skate or ride: Phillip Island locals compete for Regional Crown
- Major boost for emergency services in Eastern Victoria
Appreciating the emergency service volunteers through amenities and equipment improvement grants.
- Taxi fares lift lid on Andrews’ neglect of Gippsland trains
Trains needing upgrades to be more reliable and accessible to the public.
- Spread Cheer with Christmas Competition
Competition aims to spread a bit of Christmas joy after what has been a challenging year.
- New geothermal aquatic centre opens in Gippsland
Opening of a facility to help the community's wellness and economy.
- Community Sport Survival Package Second Round Open
Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Survival Package – Round 2
- Community Motorsport Program Funding Open
First motorsport and motorcycling funding program to back community clubs, participants and encourage greater female participation.
- Volunteers to Offer Disaster Relief
Volunteers are helping Latrobe City recover from the impacts of the bushfire.
- Ramping up support for local sports infrastructure
Government to help improve the wellbeing outcomes and participation of communities through high-quality recreation infrastructure.
- Preparing our community for emergencies
Government program that will help with the community preparedness for emergencies.
- Targeting Weeds and Pests across West Gippsland
Funding for weeds and pests eradication under Roadside Weeds and Pests Fund.
- Innovation Centre Brings Hundreds of Jobs to Gippsland
Innovation centre to create more jobs for Latrobe Valley.
Innovation centre to create more jobs for Latrobe Valley.
- Water Security Win for Central and West Gippsland
$15 million water system to increase water security, completed.
- Community Food Relief Fund Applications Open
Launch of the State Governments $5 million Community Food Relief Fund
- Community Engagement Policy approved
Government act to improve council performance through community engagements.
- Slam Dunk for Indoor Sports Stadium
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium
- Community satisfaction survey now underway
Survey phone calls to be conducted to assess the council's performance,to identify areas in need of improvements and more effective service.
- Community Safety Grants Now Open
Open application for grants through Government's Building for Safer Communities Program.