Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe City Council calls for health improvements for Morwell
City council’s call for action to improve and protect the community’s health.
By news@gippsland - 19th March 2021 - Back to News
Latrobe City Council will write to the relevant State Ministers calling for action to improve the community’s health at Morwell. Mayor Cr Sharon Gibson will seek an update about public health improvements proposed after the Hazelwood Mine Fire in 2014.
The Latrobe Health Assembly-calling for action to improve the community’s health at Morwell
The letter will urge Emergency Management Victoria (EMV) to address the proposals made by the Morwell and Districts Community Recovery Committee for a ‘Community Based Emergency Plan’, which would include a ‘Community Safer Place’ and ‘Community Communication’ system to be implemented for the town of Morwell.
Effective dialogues and project plans are needed
Latrobe City Mayor, Cr Gibson said, "The community of Morwell was inundated with toxic emissions for 45 days during the Hazelwood Mine Fire and that affected the health of many people in our community, there is a risk of such a fire occurring again, as Morwell is surrounded by coal mines and also plantations, as well having heavy industry to the east that uses chemicals that pose a risk should there be another fire."
The letter will seek clarification of the EMV communication process with the Committee to resume effective dialogue. The letter will also request project plans with timeframes up to an expected completion date or an explanation detailing the rationale for any decisions not to complete the project.
The Mayor will also request the Community Recovery Committee to provide a written report to Council, including the reasons underlying the proposals. At the 1 March 2021 Council meeting, Cr Graeme Middlemiss moved a motion calling for Council to write to the Ministers and this was seconded by Cr Tracie Lund. The motion was carried by Council unanimously.
Pictures from Latrobe Health Assembly Facebook page.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Latrobe City Council supports hydrogen industry
Council project that would help support in the city’s economy.
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Latrobe City’s Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- Council advocates for Latrobe City in Canberra
City needs support to overcome the loss of jobs and business impacts of energy station early closure.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- Labor Giving City Projects a Leg Up, but Forcing Country Communities to their Knees
Tangled red and green tape makes it too difficult for people to develop in regional Victoria.
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support members’ transition to COVID Normal.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Latrobe Performing Arts Center - What's on in April 2021
Series of wonderful and fun-filled event for the whole family.
- Latrobe Regional Gallery - What's on in April 2021
Community’s response to Da Vinci and his machines.
- Latrobe funding helps Bass Coast businesses grow
Grants available for small local businesses, applications are now being accepted.
- Northe calls for budget for big builds
Russel calls for meaningful support for economic recovery to the Latrobe Valley. It is important the local economy could be stimulated and encouraged with valuable developments in the region.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- Youth Council Spreads Health Message
Good Food for Mental Health project was identified to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for the Latrobe City population.
- Northe Calls for Clarity on Government Emission Reduction Targets
Transparency and clarity wanted around the energy policy and the content of Emission Reduction Target plans.
- Northe renews calls for lifeline Gippsland funding amid budget shun
Calls for increased funding for Lifeline Gippsland renewed.
- Northe calls for greater support for regional small businesses
Queries about small businesses that has not been answered by the government.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- New mental health jobs and support for the Latrobe Valley
Postgraduate nurses for mental health scholarship being appreciated.
- Council and police to patrol Lake Narracan this long weekend
Latrobe council working with Victoria police to ensure compliance on the local laws Labour Day long weekend.
- Northe Calls for Greater COVID Compassion
Interstate travel exemption process applicable to persons seeking to say goodbye to a loved one or attend a funeral urged.
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Sharon Gibson is the new Mayor of Latrobe City
- Council Works with Community towards COVID Recovery
You can still call Council on 1300 367 700 and receive assistance with COVID-19 related matters.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Healthy diet leads to better mental health
A campaign for eating healthy diet to keep us in shape and avoid mental distress.
- Council’s Responsibilities during the Local Council Election Period
Council Election Caretaker Period from Tuesday 22 September to Saturday 24 October at 6pm.
- Council to seek legal advice over Minister’s ULAB decision
Council voted to seek advice from a Senior Counsel after being disappointed by the Minister’s decision in approving an amendment.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Council working to help Business Access Outdoor Dining Assistance
$87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package ready to assist local businesses.
- Council backs businesses with Small Business Grants
A well governed grant that would help enable businesses to create investment opportunities and employment that would benefit the community.
- Council secures additional outdoor dining funds
Additional funds granted to support the local businesses.
- Council welcomes VinFast to Bass Coast
VinFast to establish business in Bass Coast that will help support local jobs, while also acknowledging the value of the surrounding bushland.
- Council Grants Support the Community
138 projects funded through its Community Grants and Community Sponsorship programs.
- Traralgon Renewable Energy Project Supported by Latrobe City Council
Renewable energy project at Traralgon Neighbourhood Learning House.
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- New VicHealth Funding Available
$2.5 million in new funding to support local organisations to address the immediate health and wellbeing concerns of Victorians hardest hit by the impact coronavirus pandemic.
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- Contact Council before you build or renovate
Property owners to comply on the Building Act to ensure that safety and proper constructions are done.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Bush Crew beautifies Latrobe City
Workers found new employment after losing their jobs during the pandemic through beautification of Latrobe City.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Putting the Mental Health of Victorians First in Eastern Victoria
Victorian Budget 2020/21 will include $868.6 million to ensure Victorians have the mental health support.
- Call Out for Creative Ideas to Boost Tourism
Ideas needed for creative projects that have strong potential to become new tourist attractions, contributing to the economic recovery of the region in 2021 and beyond.
- Bass Coast Shire Council makes more service changes due to COVID
Face-to-face customer services and visitor services will cease at Wonthaggi, Cowes and Inverloch and will operate in other communication means.
- National Mental Health Month Begins Today
Mental Health Foundation Australia (MHFA) to raise awareness of Mental Health
- Da Vinci exhibition opens at Latrobe Regional Gallery
An event to witness the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, the world’s greatest mind.
- Government called upon to support local businesses – Northe
A call for the Government for a commitment that all goods, services and contracts are not taken away from regional businesses.
- Aquatic centre access a win for Latrobe Leisure members
Leisure members to have complementary access on GRAC according to membership classification.
- Building & Improving Kindergartens in the Latrobe Valley for the Future
Victoria rolls out funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.
- COVID lockdowns leave Victorian kids' mental health worse than any other state, study finds
Lockdown effects on young Victorian’s mental health.
- Final report into broken mental health system delayed
Mental health final report delayed.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Northe Continues Call for Sole-Trader Support
Wanted: support for local businesses currently excluded from the Victorian Business Support Fund.
- Growing Gippsland’s Future Health Workforce
$200,000 for a feasibility study for a Community Health Hub and Clinic at the Gippsland campus in Churchill.
- Supporting Our Music Industry in the Latrobe Valley
Survival grants for local live music venues and new grants to protect music jobs on stage.
- Early Works Underway for Car Parks in the Latrobe Valley
Tests underway to determine feasibility of the eight preferred sites in Moe, Morwell and Traralgon.
- Dancers in the Running for National Award
Latrobe City dancers has made the finals of the Australian Dance Awards.
- Nominate a Top Senior
Latrobe City Senior Citizen of the Year award, now open for nominations.
- Local Choir Creates Connection and Celebration across Latrobe Valley
Inventive virtual choir promoting social connection and fun through music in the Latrobe Valley.
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- More Testing Facilities Needed in Latrobe
Enhanced testing capacities in the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Morwell Foodbank Awaiting Delivery
Fast-track the promised Morwell Foodbank hub to support the Latrobe Valley community.
- Valley public transport cost woes continue
Northe has renewed calls for a review of the Latrobe Valley’s unfair public transport ticketing structure that places local commuters at a disadvantage. The current MYKI system forces local commuters to pay more than other area across the State.
- Community satisfaction survey now underway
Survey phone calls to be conducted to assess the council's performance,to identify areas in need of improvements and more effective service.
- Volunteers to Offer Disaster Relief
Volunteers are helping Latrobe City recover from the impacts of the bushfire.
- Supporting Small-Scale School Building Projects in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Important upgrades to Victorian schools.
- Lockdown triggers surge in demand for mental health support
Victorian's plea to have their emotional and financial trauma to be prioritised by the government.
- Interstate interest in author talk
A Zoom presentation of the Latrobe City Libraries with author Heather Morris.
- Caring for our Diverse Community
Council appointed new members to the City Cultural Diversity Advisory Committee.
- Morwell CBD Revitalisation project officially opened
Revitalisation project of the CBD, to create and contribute to public open space.
- New look Morwell Rose Festival to Go Ahead
Annual celebration of the stunning blooms of Morwell’s Centenary Rose Garden will push thru.
- Draft Climate Action Plan 2020-24 Endorsed by Council
The Plan identifies a number of actions to undertake to achieve the objective of zero net emissions over the next 10 years and to ensure a climate resilient community.