• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
By Portal Admin - 10th March 2019 - Back to News
Gippsland children will be among almost 20,000 heading to kindergarten this year who will benefit from the Andrews Labor Government’s Australian-first school readiness funding.
All kindergartens in Gippsland will receive a funding boost to engage with professional support such as speech pathologists, occupational therapists and language and literacy experts, who can help children and build the capability of families and educators.
Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing, said approximately $1,117,838 has been allocated to kindergartens in Latrobe, allowing services to engage with experts and access a range of evidence-informed programs.
It is the first time in Australia such funding has been made available to kindergartens and will become a permanent part of Victoria’s early childhood education funding.
Australian research shows that one in five Victorian children start school developmentally vulnerable and once behind, they tend to stay behind.
$58.1 million of school readiness funding will be rolled out to all kinders statewide by 2021, with approximately 580 kinders part of the first tranche of 25 local government areas and all kinders run by Aboriginal Community Controlled Organisations to be rolled out this year.
This needs-based funding aims to reduce the impact of educational disadvantage on children’s learning and development and improve outcomes in communication (language development), wellbeing (social and emotional regulation) and access and participation.
Making Victoria the Education State starts with the early years – which is why the Andrews Labor Government is also investing $5 billion over a decade to deliver a 15 hour kindergarten program for all three-year-old children.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Education James Merlino
"We’re helping children very early in their education journey, so they can start their first day at school ready to learn."
"School readiness funding means investing in the things that will truly make a difference to a child’s life."
Quote attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Region, Harriet Shing
"Not every child has an equal chance to thrive at kindergarten, and school readiness funding will mean that – regardless of their circumstances – more Gippsland children will benefit from the boost that quality early years learning provides."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Helping More Young Victorians Learn To Drive
Support for young Victorian student drivers.
- Helping Victorians Start Their Own Business
Back up for Victorians who want to start their own business.
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- Freemasons Victoria Helping Gippsland Farmers
Freemasons Victoria to contribute $50,000 to Gippsland Farmers Relief.
- Rebates Helping Victorians Reduce Water Bills
Two innovative community rebate programs to reduce water bills.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Gippsland Line Passengers Urged to Plan Ahead During April
State-wide Autumn transport construction blitz for metropolitan lines.
- Gippsland Startup wins a trip to China
Laura Eddington from Warragul and founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps wins a two day hackathon to Nanjing, China. Find out more about this exciting development for the company.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Startup Gippsland Accelerator Program Leads Australia
Startup Gippsland program recognised as an outstanding success.
- Startup Gippsland 2019 Culminates In Dynamic Pitch Night -Prize Winners Announced
Grand finale event of the 2019 Startup Gippsland program.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- East Gippsland Water grants
Get Those Applications In for an Environmental Grant
- Plight of Gippsland Farmers Still Being Ignored
No help yet for Gippsland farmers.
- Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Autumn Newsletter
Autumn 2019 Newsletter
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Get Screened To Reduce the Impact of Cancer in Eastern Victoria Region
Get yourselves and your loved ones screened.
- Get Involved In Wonthaggi’s Future
Get involved in developing a future vision for Apex Park on Murray Street.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland
We get your week underway with a snapshot of Food & Fibre industry news and activities across Gippsland, helping people and businesses to collaborate, innovate and engage.
- Labor Forgets Victoria’s Most vulnerable
Government has forgotten the state’s most vulnerable.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Get Qualified on the Job with Council
Bass Coast Shire Counci, now offering a range of Traineeships and Apprenticeships.
- Get Rid of Green Waste, Fee-Free
Fee-free green waste disposal from 1 November until 16 December 2018.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Giving Eastern Victoria Regions’ Hard-Working Carers the Helping Hand They Deserve
Package of nearly $50 million to go towards grants for initiatives that support carers.
- Activists Targeting Farms shouldn’t get ‘Charity’ Tax Benefits
The Liberal Nationals support the Federal Coalition Government’s bid to review Aussie Farms’ charity status and the Andrews Government should also get behind it.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Trout Stocking Bonanza for School Holidays
More than 30,000 catchable size rainbow trout stocked into almost 80 waters state-wide.
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- Bus Loop Gets Once Over
Bus loop in front of St Joseph’s Primary School in Wonthaggi will be renewed this January.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Upgrades to Morwell Kindergartens’ Play-Based Learning Spaces
First-rate kindergarten with upgrades to Morwell kindergartens.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Don’t Be Sidelined – Get Active This April
Registrations for the 11th annual Premier’s Active April campaign now open.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Labor Won’t Rule Out Further Cuts to Timber Availability
5000 hectares available for harvesting timber.
- No Rates Relief for Farmers, but Doctors and Lawyers Get Drought Aid under Daniel Andrews
Relief for doctors and lawyers, none for farmers.
- Federation Training Becomes Tafe Gippsland
Federation Training unveils its new name.
- Plantation Timber to Take Root in Gippsland
$110 million investment in native plantation timber, including 550 hectares of crown land close to Maryvale and Yallourn North in the Latrobe Valley announced.
- Keeping Our Promises and Delivering for Gippsland
Promises turning to realities for Gippsland.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- Continued Boost for Youth Crime Prevention
More funding to a vital youth crime prevention program.