• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Gippsland, a Tourism Boom that Keeps Growing
New data showed 2018 as tourism industry's biggest year.
By Portal Admin - 5th May 2019 - Back to News
Victoria has cemented its place as Australia’s best tourist destination, with new data showing that 2018 was the tourism industry’s biggest year on record.
Gippsland was one of the strongest performers, welcoming 84,400 overnight visitors – an overall increase of 16.2 per cent, including a rise of 19.5 per cent for Phillip Island, which hosted 62,200 visitors.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing welcomed the rise, saying it showed the strength of the region’s tourism offerings.
Visitors to Victoria spent an unprecedented $8.5 billion in 2018, up 12.9 per cent on the previous year, driving economic growth and creating thousands of jobs.
Data from Tourism Research Australia shows Victoria welcomed 3 million international visitors who stayed a combined 72.9 million nights in the state.
Victoria’s tourism industry is growing at almost three times the national average and far surpassing Queensland at 3.7 per cent, and New South Wales at 2.4 per cent.
The increase in tourism spending was largely driven by visitors from across Asia, with expenditure by visitors from India, China, Indonesia and Taiwan showing strong growth.
These key growth figures indicate the increasing strength of tourism across Victoria, outpacing the rest of Australia as a tourism hotspot for visitors from around the world.
The figures also show Victoria is well on-track to reach our goal of growing the state’s visitor expenditure to $36.5 billion by 2025.
The visitor economy is currently worth more than $28 billion to the Victorian economy and contributes to over 215,000 jobs annually
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"Victoria is a truly world class destination for international visitors and this strong growth shows what a popular destination Gippsland is for travellers from across the globe."
"Gippsland has it all - natural and cultural brilliance, a foodie’s paradise, and some of the warmest hospitality you’ll ever experience – it’s clear with these numbers more and more visitors are seeing the attraction of our wonderful region."
"With so many natural wonders, food and wine options and cultural attractions it’s little wonder the figures released show how strong tourism is in Victoria."
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Gippsland Employment Skills Training (Gest) Finalist in 2019 Learn Local Awards
Gippsland Employment Skills Training (GEST) gets nomination for Victorian Learn Local Awards.
- Gippsland Soccer Scores New Synthetic Field of Dreams
FIFA-accredited synthetic pitch for Gippsland Soccer.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
- Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre Construction Ramps Up
Construction of Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre begins.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- Gippsland’s Leading Food and Fibre Organisations to Amalgamate
New entity supports Gippy food and fibre sectors
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- Gippsland Line Passengers Urged to Plan Ahead During April
State-wide Autumn transport construction blitz for metropolitan lines.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Gippsland Startup wins a trip to China
Laura Eddington from Warragul and founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps wins a two day hackathon to Nanjing, China. Find out more about this exciting development for the company.
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Startup Gippsland 2019 Culminates In Dynamic Pitch Night -Prize Winners Announced
Grand finale event of the 2019 Startup Gippsland program.
- Startup Gippsland Accelerator Program Leads Australia
Startup Gippsland program recognised as an outstanding success.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- 5,000 Gippsland Residents Get Help at The Orange Door
Safety offered from threat of family violence when you enter the Morwell Orange Door.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- Plight of Gippsland Farmers Still Being Ignored
No help yet for Gippsland farmers.
- East Gippsland Water grants
Get Those Applications In for an Environmental Grant
- New Collaborations for Gippsland’s Food and Fibre Sector
Gippsland’s food and fibre industry is set to continue its growth and market presence.
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Autumn Newsletter
Autumn 2019 Newsletter
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Welcome to CEO Paul Griffi and Gippsland Produce Brand conversations
A weekly update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Maintenance Works to Keep Gippsland Trains Moving
Maintenance estimated to be completed over 11 nights to boost reliability for passengers in the long term.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland
We get your week underway with a snapshot of Food & Fibre industry news and activities across Gippsland, helping people and businesses to collaborate, innovate and engage.
- Freemasons Victoria Helping Gippsland Farmers
Freemasons Victoria to contribute $50,000 to Gippsland Farmers Relief.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Federation Training Becomes Tafe Gippsland
Federation Training unveils its new name.
- Plantation Timber to Take Root in Gippsland
$110 million investment in native plantation timber, including 550 hectares of crown land close to Maryvale and Yallourn North in the Latrobe Valley announced.
- Keeping Our Promises and Delivering for Gippsland
Promises turning to realities for Gippsland.
- New Era Kicks Off for Latrobe Valley Soccer
Newly installed FIFA accredited synthetic pitch at Gippsland Regional Centre.
- New CEO appointed - Grants for Start-Ups - Workforce Planning
News updates, events, opportunities and activities in the Food & Fibre sector across Gippsland.
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- New Carpet Can’t Paper over Cracks in V/Line’s Old Rolling Stock
New seat fabrics and carpet as improvement for V/line.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- New Home for Gards Volunteers and Members
New home of GARDS in Moe, officially opened.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- New Wy Yung Water Storage
Preparations for a new 36 million litre water storage tank in Wy Yung.
- A New Look for Bass Coast Children’s Centre
A bright new learning space for Bass Coast Children’s Centre.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Indoor Baseball Training Facility for Local Clubs
All-weather baseball training facility now open!
- New Funding to Strengthen Disability Rights
Funding boost to strengthen disability rights.
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.