• Add My News • Search Old News
Latrobe Local News:
Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
By Portal Admin - 8th December 2019 - Back to News
A business delegation to the ‘Pacific 2019: International Maritime Exposition’ has led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
The three day trade event, held in early October, enabled Latrobe City Council to raise the profile of local businesses and the capability of the regions workforce to over 21,000 trade visitors highlighting that Gippsland’s regional city is well positioned to service the emerging defence industry.
Drawing on the theme that the Latrobe City is open for business, stakeholders presented to Parliamentary Secretary for Jobs, Jane Garrett who visited the region last Wednesday.
Speaking after last week’s round table session, Latrobe City Council Mayor, Cr Dan Clancey said that Ms Garrett’s visit to the region provided Council with a further opportunity to advocate on behalf of local industry and importantly was an initiative that was borne from the Pacific 2019 exposition.
"We advocate heavily on local industry’s behalf to state and federal government on the immense capability and opportunity we have in Latrobe City. By attending Pacific 2019, Council officers were able to showcase to industry, government and defence professionals the capabilities that we have right here on our doorstep.
"We have the business knowledge, understanding and most importantly the skilled workforce capable of supplying project based design, engineering, manufacturing and maintenance for these major defence projects.
"To be able to have Ms Garrett hear firsthand how Latrobe City can play an important role in this space is incredibly valuable as we advocate to best position the region as a player in the supply of defence-specific or dual-use goods."
Following the Pacific 2019 exposition, Latrobe City has partnered with Rheinmetall Defence Australia to host an industry briefing on supply chain opportunities for LAND400 Phase 2. The Australian Army has contracted Rheinmetall to deliver a minimum of 211 Combat Reconnaissance Vehicles valued at $3.334 billion over the next nine years.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Faster, Easier Business Approvals
Better Approvals Project gets fast and easy!
- Signing up to be Small Business Friendly
Small Business Friendly Council initiative signed to support to local businesses.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Garden Competition
Latrobe City Council’s annual garden competition now open.
- Are You Ready To Get All Revved Up?
Latrobe City’s inaugural motorsport celebration event - Latrobe Motorfest.
- Award Winning Gippsland Businesses
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Support Service Open for Business
Free, flexible and confidential tailored support service for business owners in Latrobe Valley.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.
- Taking Bass Coast to the City
Collaboration and sharing with councillors and staff from City of Melbourne.
- Council’s Work Awarded
Bass Coast Shire Council received two national awards.
- Council Picks Up Silver at Tourism Awards
2019 Tourism Awards
- Council Supports Marine Park plan
Development for Bass Coast Marine and Coastal Park gets supported.
- Council Adds Third Offset Site
Third Native Vegetation Offset site to establish at The Gurdies.
- Council Supports Rates Review
Rates review supported to improve fairness and equity for all ratepayers.
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 5 August
Below is a snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 5 August 2019. For full details of the Council Meeting, please see the Council Meeting Minutes available on the Council website on Thursday 8 August 2019.