Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe City Coordinated Community Transport Project launched
The Minister for Community Services and Housing, the Hon Bronwyn Pike MP, and Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, officially launched Latrobe City’s Co-ordinated Community Transport Project on Tuesday
By Latrobe City Council - 6th May 2002 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
One pilot project commenced this week, involving patients identified by the Latrobe Regional Hospital with specific needs; and a second project coordinating the needs of disability program participants at SCOPE Quality Learning and Cooinda Hill, commences later in May. Both pilot projects have been created to improve transport services for people disadvantaged by existing public and commercial transport.
Cr Jenkins said that the Latrobe Co-ordinated Community Transport Project (LCCT) was designed to provide a range of transport options for people with a disability, frail aged citizens, youth, rurally isolated, and socially or financially disadvantaged people.
"Once the two pilot projects are completed we will be expanding the service to other organisations and individuals identified as disadvantaged," Cr Jenkins said.
"The project seeks to involve the community and users of transport services to tailor transport to meet their needs. This involvement will develop a sense of ownership of the project, and encourage community participation in solving transport problems in Latrobe City," Cr Jenkins said.
"The project was an initiative of Latrobe City Council and was embraced by the Latrobe Valley Ministerial Taskforce. It is supported by the Department of Human Services and Council. The project model has been developed over the last three years by a steering committee representing key stakeholders from community organisations and transport services," Cr Jenkins explained.
"This project will result in an improvement in the overall health and well being of people who live in Latrobe City. Getting disadvantaged people mobilised is the priority and by creating this project, Latrobe City is taking that vital step," Cr Jenkins said.
LCCT project officer, Meagan Height, who has been meeting with people, organisations and representatives from various Community Transport Projects around Victoria, said a database newly developed in Wodonga had recently been purchased to track and facilitate local needs.
"It is intended that this system will eventually provide organisations access to book transport for people using their services. A website containing current project and community information is also being created, and will be linked to the existing Latrobe City Council website," Ms Height explained.
"Volunteer driver manuals and transport packs have also been completed and are ready for circulation. A key part of the strategy is to engage volunteer drivers to assist in providing the service, and we are seeking and would appreciate offers of help in this regard," Ms Height added.
The Latrobe Co-ordinated Community Transport Project recently relocated to SCOPE Quality Learning Inc in Morwell. Ms Height said the decision to relocate came about so that access to a volunteer drop-in centre and lockable transport compounds could be provided.
"A Systems Officer, Nicolas Lawler, was also recently appointed, and is in the process of implementing and establishing both the database and volunteer driver group. By utilizing new and existing vehicles in the region, and volunteer drivers, the project will achieve a more responsive, effective, and community friendly transport system," Ms Height said.
"In order to really involve the full community, a competition has also been designed to create a suitable logo for LCCT. The competition is open to all secondary college students in the Latrobe Valley. Certificates will be given to all participants, one encouragement award per year level being given, and a major prize going to the winner. The entries must be in by the first week of June," Ms Height explained.
Further information on the Latrobe Co-ordinated Community Transport Project or logo competition is available from Meagan Height, telephone 1300 367 700.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Community Spirit Shines Bright for Flynn Hall Makeover
A 97-year-old building can serve the community once again, thanks to the people of the small Latrobe City township of Flynn.
- Backing Community Projects in Baw Baw
Support for community projects across Baw Baw Shire.
- Community Input Needed for Off-Leash Areas
Community input needed on potential off-leash beach areas.
- Community-Led Road Safety Initiatives Funded
VicRoads Community Road Safety Grants Program's 1.3 million fund for road safety awareness.
- Community Grants Give Groups Fundraising Boost
Thirty-three community groups awarded at the presentation of Round 2 of the 2018 Community Grants Program.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Community Grants Attract Record Applications
Numerous applications requesting over $285,000 in grant funding.
- Community Input Needed on Masterplans
Future of Blue Gum Reserve in Cowes and Harold Hughes Reserve in Corinella.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Council Seeks Community Feedback on Draft 2019/20 Budget
Wanted: Community Feedback for Draft 2019/20 Budget.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Century Milestone for Community Facility and Event Grants
More than 100 community projects now realised with support from the Latrobe Valley Authority’s Community Facility Fund.
- Building a Community Hospital on Phillip Island
Re-elected Andrews Labor Government to deliver the Phillip Island Community Hospital in Cowes.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Boosting Community Safety in Traralgon
Funding for the Traralgon Reserves and Pathways Lighting Improvements project announced.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Putting the Hill End Community First In Baw Baw Shire
Andrews Labor Government heeds Hill End community to retain the iconic Hill End Primary School for community use.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Northe Urges Community to "Speak Up"
Upcoming Tom Curtain "Speak Up" tour
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Northe Acknowledges Community Leaders
Contributions from community leaders, acknowledged.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Project Enters Final Stage
Water Sensitive Urban Design project completion this February for Seagrove Estate in Cowes.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Project Kicks Back Into Action
Construction at the Cowes Recreation Reserve continues amidst challenges.
- Building on the Men’s Shed Community in Toongabbie
Toongabbie & District Men’s Shed extension opens today!
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Northe Congratulates Good Friday Appeal Community Leaders
Contributors to Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal acknoweledged.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Young Leaders Celebrate Community
Students in the 2019 Bass Coast Young Leader program parcipates in a workshop to celebrate their community.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Aged and Disability Services Continue to Support our Community
Continued aged support through transition.
- Domestic Wastewater Management
Public Draft of Latrobe City’s Domestic Wastewater Management Plan released.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- Minister, Labor’s Regional Cuts Are Nothing to be ‘Proud’ of
Minister was proud in cutting the Regional Growth Fund.
- Boosting Water Services with Bumper Package of Engineering Projects
$6.3 million engineering projects to safeguard and enhance water services.
- First 1000 Days Project
First 1000 Days Project aims to promote strong cultural connections.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.
- Honouring Eastern Victoria’s Inspiring Seniors
Nominations are now open for community contributions by seniors and organisations.
- Planning Minister hits pause on Cape Paterson
Residential development in Cape Paterson North deferred.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- Van Driel Resignation
Chief Executive Officer of Latrobe City Council resigns.
- Victoria’s Public Housing Gardening Talent in Full Bloom
Victoria’s most outstanding public and community housing gardens awarded.
- Help shape Skate Park and Play Space
Community consultation sessions by Bass Coast Shire Council
- Bath states Labor must Reject Alberton Wind Farm
Community concerns regarding the Alberton Wind Farm
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- Telling the Stories of Yarragon Veterans
Yarragon Community Hall Committee to restore the Australian Natives Association Yarragon Branch No 217 Honour Board.
- Change for Sam Strategy
Increased community awareness and better support for women experiencing violence with Change of Sam Strategy.
- Magistrates Proceedings
Flamin Donuts and Not Maccas in the Latrobe Valley Magistrates proceedings this week.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Plogging Along To Save Our Oceans
Successful community plogging event on Kilcunda beach.
- Final Touches for Stormwater Project
Work resumes 25 February as San Remo Gross Pollutant Trap completes.
- Rebates Helping Victorians Reduce Water Bills
Two innovative community rebate programs to reduce water bills.
- Still Time to Have Say on Off-Leash Areas
Calling for community support for off-leash areas.
- Grants to Kickstart Multicultural Events
$3 million worth of community event grants for multicultural groups
- Neighbourhood Navigator
Online map to easily access information on the community services, facilities, planning and zoning information launched.
- Great Local Ideas Secure Funding Through Pick My Project
vital funding through Pick My Project
- The Stream – Hiroya Sakurai
THE STREAM by Hiroya Sakurai is currently on display at Latrobe Regional Gallery, Morwell.
- Keep Up War on Waste
Bass Coast Shire Council worked with the community to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.
- Northe Tables Hazelwood Pondage Petition
Northe highlighted massive support by community for the retention of Hazelwood Pondage.
- Historic Shed in New Home
Coels Shed relocated to the Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL) community garden.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.