Latrobe Local News:
Gippsland Development And Country Alliance Seeks Investment Push
Regional development has been placed high on the federal campaign agenda, with the launch of a regional investment plan by an alliance of key regional interests.
By Latrobe City Council - 9th October 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
Regional development has been placed high on the federal campaign agenda, with the launch of a regional investment plan by an alliance of key regional interests, including regional cities, rural shires, local development boards and water authorities.
Mayors from regional centres across the State launched the Australian Regional Investment Plan in Melbourne on Sunday.
The plan identifies a range of measures to boost investment, employment and economic development in country areas.
Gippsland Development Chairman and Acting CEO, Graeme Pearce, said country Australians wanted policy innovation to strengthen regions by helping regional communities to help themselves.
"Gippsland Development’s banking and finance advisory group was given a presentation of the plan, which received widespread commendation. We fully support this initiative and will be urging Councils throughout Gippsland to give this their consideration," Mr Pearce said.
Mr Pearce said compulsory superannuation was drawing more than $800 million a year out of regional Victoria and most of this money was invested in metropolitan and overseas economies.
"The Australia Regional Investment Plan identifies investment opportunities in regional Australia that offer greater security and better returns to investors than many metropolitan or overseas equities," Mr Pearce said.
Mr Pearce said the plan called for a three-point strategy to attract a higher level of regional investment both from regionally located investors and from superannuation and development capital funds. The strategy proposes that:
- Approved regional authorities be enabled to issue tax-advantaged local bonds as a vehicle for raising capital to fund local projects.
- Enterprise Zones be created where businesses generating new jobs through new investment become eligible for new regionally focused business assistance programs and tax concessions.
- A national framework be established for setting regional development and investment policy that involves state and local government.
"Regional Australia isn’t asking for handouts. We want governments to create a policy environment that stimulates regional investment and economic development," Mr Pearce said.
"Tax-advantaged local bonds will be particularly attractive to investors living in regional areas including self-funded retirees and self-managed super funds. If local bonds attract just 5% of super fund assets that would mean a $25 billion boost for regional investment across Australia."
Mr Pearce said local bonds and enterprise zones were methods successfully used by governments around the world to grow regional economies. He said the Federal Government and Opposition would be asked to embrace the package and implement the recommended measures.
"We believe there needs to be an integrated approach to regional investment from all tiers of government. It is in the national interest to have strong regional centres across the country," Mr Pearce added.
The alliance is actively lobbying federal ministers, shadow ministers and candidates in the election campaign to embrace the plan.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Gippsland Startup wins a trip to China
Laura Eddington from Warragul and founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps wins a two day hackathon to Nanjing, China. Find out more about this exciting development for the company.
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- Gippsland Line Passengers Urged to Plan Ahead During April
State-wide Autumn transport construction blitz for metropolitan lines.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- Regional Skate Park Plans Shift
Expert's opinion on the Regional Skate Park and Playspace.
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Autumn Newsletter
Autumn 2019 Newsletter
- Country Passengers Left Behind Again by City-Centric Labor
Massive cuts to regional Victoria in State Budget.
- Country Race Clubs Will Be Winners under Liberal Nationals
Grassroots country racing clubs gets share of industry funding.
- Dedicated Regional Fund Must Continue
1 billion of investment to Regional Victoria to expire on June 30.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Country Victoria set for $30 million connectivity boost under the Liberal Nationals
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to invest $30 million to boost mobile connectivity across rural and regional Victoria.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Country Racing Clubs Worse Off While Labor Plays Favourites
Andrews Government refused to boost support to smaller clubs.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Minister, Labor’s Regional Cuts Are Nothing to be ‘Proud’ of
Minister was proud in cutting the Regional Growth Fund.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Fixing Country Roads as Maintenance Blitz Ramps Up
$70 million share for safer and more reliable roads.
- High-Speed Regional Rail
Peter Walsh's letter to the editor.
- Federal Liberal Nationals delivering for Regional Victoria
Investments for safer country roads, reliable regional rail and better rural health for Regional Victorians.
- No Plan, No Money for Regional Victoria Under Labor
Premier blows the budget on metro projects, but no plans for Regional Victoria.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland
We get your week underway with a snapshot of Food & Fibre industry news and activities across Gippsland, helping people and businesses to collaborate, innovate and engage.
- Freemasons Victoria Helping Gippsland Farmers
Freemasons Victoria to contribute $50,000 to Gippsland Farmers Relief.
- Delivering For Country Football and Netball Clubs
Another chance to upgrade grounds, courts and pavilions.
- 2019 OPTUS Victorian Country Long Course Swimming Championships
Happening on 25th January to 27th January.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Liberal Nationals to Invest in Regional Victoria’s Future Leaders
More support and a funding boost promise if a Liberal Nationals Government is elected at November’s State Election.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Council Seeks Community Feedback on Draft 2019/20 Budget
Wanted: Community Feedback for Draft 2019/20 Budget.
- Daniel Andrews on Standby as Country Victoria Loses Population
No action on shocking decline in Regional Victoria’s population.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Plantation Timber to Take Root in Gippsland
$110 million investment in native plantation timber, including 550 hectares of crown land close to Maryvale and Yallourn North in the Latrobe Valley announced.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Federation Training Becomes Tafe Gippsland
Federation Training unveils its new name.
- Keeping Our Promises and Delivering for Gippsland
Promises turning to realities for Gippsland.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- Planning Minister hits pause on Cape Paterson
Residential development in Cape Paterson North deferred.
- Labor’s False Claims Equal No New Trains for Country Victoria
No new trains for Victoria.
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Planning for Wonthaggi’s Future
Updated Wonthaggi North East Precinct Structure Plan (PSP) and Development Contributions Plan (DCP) for community viewing available in April.
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.