• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
By Portal Admin - 1st October 2018 - Back to News
Member for Morwell Russell Northe has written to the Minister for Public Transport, pleading for the State Government to commence the necessary planning, design and costings that will be required for a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
"The frustration of Gippsland commuters is palpable given the unreliability of services with people either missing medical appointments, missing important transport connections, missing events and functions and in many cases losing work because they are running late", Mr Northe said.
"We all know that once Gippsland trains hit the metropolitan network they are forced to slow down, and nothing will change if the Government ignores the real issue. Simply saying it’s too hard or too costly to consider dedicated lines or passing loops on the metropolitan network for Gippsland trains, really is a pathetic response given the Government has announced hundreds of billions of dollars for transport infrastructure projects in Melbourne", Mr Northe said.
"I welcome and am supportive of, investment that is currently occurring across Gippsland in station upgrades, parking and passing loops; however the choking point and reason why Gippsland V/Line services continually fail performance benchmarks on punctuality, is because of our interaction with the metropolitan rail network".
"It’s obvious that if those issues relating to metropolitan congestion are not addressed, then nothing will change and Gippsland rail services will always be the poor cousin in comparison to other major regional areas of Victoria" said Mr Northe.
Major regional rail networks in Victoria such as Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo have dedicated lines into Melbourne, and yet Gippsland does not. "This is not acceptable", Mr Northe said, "and this cripples our train network’s ability to deliver services reliably and on time, as well as holding back local industry without having better options for freight".
Mr Northe has constantly raised these ongoing legitimate issues on behalf of Gippsland commuters in Parliament and to the attention of the Minister; however, it appears the Government is not interested in taking action.
"The State Government must undertake the necessary work to understand what is possible in getting Gippsland trains to Melbourne and back in a reasonable timeframe. Even if there is a combination of dedicated line and passing loops on the metropolitan network, surely this needs to be explored urgently and comprehensively" Mr Northe said.
"17 years ago the then Labor Government promised that it would take 94 minutes for trains to travel from Traralgon to Melbourne, yet in 2018 if one’s journey takes 140 minutes, then there is much rejoicing. This is simply not acceptable for a major regional centre in this great State, and Gippsland commuters deserve better".
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Northe Calls for State Government Action on Steelvision
Decisive action needed to address the Steelvision Morwell debacle.
- Northe Calls for Improvements to Tyers School Crossing
Northe calls to enhance pedestrian safety at the Tyers Primary School crossing on Main Road.
- Northe Tables Hazelwood Pondage Petition
Northe highlighted massive support by community for the retention of Hazelwood Pondage.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- Northe Congratulates Good Friday Appeal Community Leaders
Contributors to Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal acknoweledged.
- Northe Puts Spotlight on Improved Local Health Services
Ambitious target to half the Victorian suicide rate by 2025.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe Raises Need for Industry Support and Jobs
Spotlight on LV unemployment.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Northe Acknowledges Community Leaders
Contributions from community leaders, acknowledged.
- Northe Urges Community to "Speak Up"
Upcoming Tom Curtain "Speak Up" tour
- Northe Calls for Commitment to GCLP
Calls for continued funding for GCLP.
- Minister, Labor’s Regional Cuts Are Nothing to be ‘Proud’ of
Minister was proud in cutting the Regional Growth Fund.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Dedicated Regional Fund Must Continue
1 billion of investment to Regional Victoria to expire on June 30.
- Planning Minister hits pause on Cape Paterson
Residential development in Cape Paterson North deferred.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Line Passengers Urged to Plan Ahead During April
State-wide Autumn transport construction blitz for metropolitan lines.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- Gippsland Startup wins a trip to China
Laura Eddington from Warragul and founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps wins a two day hackathon to Nanjing, China. Find out more about this exciting development for the company.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Victoria’s Public Housing Gardening Talent in Full Bloom
Victoria’s most outstanding public and community housing gardens awarded.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Autumn Newsletter
Autumn 2019 Newsletter
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland
We get your week underway with a snapshot of Food & Fibre industry news and activities across Gippsland, helping people and businesses to collaborate, innovate and engage.
- Freemasons Victoria Helping Gippsland Farmers
Freemasons Victoria to contribute $50,000 to Gippsland Farmers Relief.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- Letter to the Editor
Peter Walsh on State Budget
- A Letter to the Editor
Labor won't return all boating licence fees back into better boating infrastructure.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.