Latrobe Local News:
Gippsland Local Government Network
Gippsland Local Government Network makes submission to Federal Committee on Service Delivery
By Latrobe City Council - 21st March 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have saidChair of Gippsland Local Government Network (GLGN), Councillor Tony Hanning, has made a submission on behalf of the Network to the Federal ALP
Caucus Committee on Service Delivery.
The Federal ALP Caucus Committee was meeting in Wonthaggi on Monday as part of a national program of investigating service delivery issues in rural and
Cr Hanning said that the submission to Caucus discussed issues common to Gippsland, the vulnerability of small communities and the way in which
Commonwealth policies in service delivery, and private sector service delivery, impacted on those communities.
“Obvious examples are the withdrawal of postal services and the closure of bank branches which impact highly on the viability of other businesses in small
communities and consequently the long term future of the communities themselves,” Cr Hanning explained.
Cr Hanning said the GLGN Submission drew attention to the dispersed nature of the population in Gippsland, stressing there were only relatively few centres with
populations of over 5000.
“This makes Gippsland particularly vulnerable to the downside of globalisation, restructuring and changes to competition policy,” Cr Hanning said.
“Some Commonwealth policies have had a detrimental effect on Gippslanders, and while the Commonwealth Government has introduced a number of funding
initiatives in rural Australia in recent times, it could be argued that these are too little, too late,” Cr Hanning said.
“In our submission, GLGN was able to demonstrate to the Caucus Committee that GLGN is leading the way in Regional cooperation and coordination. It has
encouraged a regional perspective of issues facing and affecting Gippsland, recognising that many economic, social and environmental development issues
benefit from being advanced on a regional basis,” Cr Hanning said.
“All of Gippsland is linked in some way, whether through transport routes, population movements, or through its catchments. For example, whatever
happens to rivers and steams in Baw Baw or Latrobe will affect the Gippsland Lakes.
Councillor Hanning told the Caucus Committee that GLGN had received a sympathetic ear from the State Government, but was still trying to get the ear of
the Federal Government.
“There has already been one GLGN delegation to Canberra, and a further visit is planned. Our aim is to achieve a funding package for Gippsland covering a wide
range of issues,” Cr Hanning concluded.
Chairperson: Cr Tony Hanning, Deputy Mayor, Latrobe City.
Telephone: 0417 373 577
Secretary: Ms. Penny Holloway, CEO, Latrobe City.
Telephone: 5173 1401 or 0417 557 103
Jeremy Bein, Public Relations and Communications Officer,
Latrobe City. Telephone: 5173 1468
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Employment Skills Training (Gest) Finalist in 2019 Learn Local Awards
Gippsland Employment Skills Training (GEST) gets nomination for Victorian Learn Local Awards.
- Gippsland Line Upgrade Supporting Local Jobs
This $95 million project supports local jobs.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
- Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre Construction Ramps Up
Construction of Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre begins.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Gippsland Soccer Scores New Synthetic Field of Dreams
FIFA-accredited synthetic pitch for Gippsland Soccer.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- Gippsland Line Passengers Urged to Plan Ahead During April
State-wide Autumn transport construction blitz for metropolitan lines.
- Gippsland Climate News & Views September
Peter Gardner's September Newsletter
- Gippsland Startup wins a trip to China
Laura Eddington from Warragul and founder of Little Bumble Reusable Food Wraps wins a two day hackathon to Nanjing, China. Find out more about this exciting development for the company.
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- The Gippsland Town of Churchill is Tipped to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald
Town of Churchill, to be a Highlight of The 2019 Jayco Herald.
- Startup Gippsland 2019 Culminates In Dynamic Pitch Night -Prize Winners Announced
Grand finale event of the 2019 Startup Gippsland program.
- Startup Gippsland Accelerator Program Leads Australia
Startup Gippsland program recognised as an outstanding success.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- 5,000 Gippsland Residents Get Help at The Orange Door
Safety offered from threat of family violence when you enter the Morwell Orange Door.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- Plight of Gippsland Farmers Still Being Ignored
No help yet for Gippsland farmers.
- East Gippsland Water grants
Get Those Applications In for an Environmental Grant
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Officially Launched
Food & Fibre Gippsland was officially launched on Friday April 12 at Farm World
- Andrews Government Kicks in for Gippsland Sport
Residents of Toora, soon to enjoy modern sports facilities.
- Local Schools to Remain Independent
No merger for local schools.
- Local Green Thumbs Win Big In ABC Gardener of The Year Awards
Hazelwood North couple, Denise and Athol Brand named state finalists in the 2018 ABC Gardener of the Year Awards.
- Local Moe Company Wins Manufacturer of the Year
Medium-sized business Manufacturer of the Year named.
- Local Sporting Club Becomes GovHub Casualty
No club anymore for Latrobe Valley Squash members.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland Autumn Newsletter
Autumn 2019 Newsletter
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Fixing Local Roads in Bass Coast Shire
Bass Coast Shire gets help to fix local road network with $100 million Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Great Local Ideas Secure Funding Through Pick My Project
vital funding through Pick My Project
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Welcome to CEO Paul Griffi and Gippsland Produce Brand conversations
A weekly update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Delivering Better Transport for Gippsland and The Bass Coast
Andrews Labor Government to invest $157,000 to improve transport services across South Gippsland and the Bass Coast.
- Funding Boosts Local Sports Clubs in Morwell Electorate
Get active as four local sporting clubs gets funded.
- Government Must Act Now to Retain Pondage
Immediate actions wanted to retain pondage.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- 70 Million Reasons to Get Behind Gippsland Business Connect
1100 users registered and more than 60 local procurement opportunities worth $70 million posted to a new business platform.
- Maintenance Works to Keep Gippsland Trains Moving
Maintenance estimated to be completed over 11 nights to boost reliability for passengers in the long term.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Food & Fibre Gippsland
We get your week underway with a snapshot of Food & Fibre industry news and activities across Gippsland, helping people and businesses to collaborate, innovate and engage.
- Northe asks Government to reopen Worker Transfer Scheme
Requests to reopen the Worker Transfer Scheme (WTS).
- Delivering a Great Local School for Lakes Entrance
$1 million towards an upgrade at St Brendan's School.
- Delivering a Great Local School for Traralgon
Massive upgrade to Traralgon (Kosciuszko Street) Primary School with a re-elected Andrews Local Government official.
- Boosting Our Local Community Halls
Bundalaguah & Myrtlebank Hall gets major refurbishment.
- Freemasons Victoria Helping Gippsland Farmers
Freemasons Victoria to contribute $50,000 to Gippsland Farmers Relief.
- Northe’s Tribute to Local Service Men and Women
Tribute to men and women following ANSAC Day.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Northe Calls for State Government Action on Steelvision
Decisive action needed to address the Steelvision Morwell debacle.
- Help To Grow Local Events
Bass Coast Shire Council meets up to create strategic plan to attract events to Bass Coast.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- Parliamentary Tributes for Local Achievers
Tribute to local recipients of recent Queens Birthday award.
- Delivering More Reliable Services for Gippsland
More frequent and reliable train services and more travel choice for Gippsland locals from a re-elected Andrews Labor Government.
- Northe Puts Spotlight on Improved Local Health Services
Ambitious target to half the Victorian suicide rate by 2025.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- All Politics is Local
Bass Coast Shire Council supports the Australian Local Government Association’s (ALGA) Federal Election Advocacy campaign titled ‘All Politics is Local’
- Crime Prevention Grants On Offer to Local Communities
Public Safety Infrastructure Fund (PSIF) applications are now open.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Federation Training Becomes Tafe Gippsland
Federation Training unveils its new name.
- Plantation Timber to Take Root in Gippsland
$110 million investment in native plantation timber, including 550 hectares of crown land close to Maryvale and Yallourn North in the Latrobe Valley announced.
- Keeping Our Promises and Delivering for Gippsland
Promises turning to realities for Gippsland.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- New Indoor Baseball Training Facility for Local Clubs
All-weather baseball training facility now open!
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.
- Delve Into Art This May
Gippsland celebrates ‘Come and Play All of May
- Applications Invited For Round 2 of Environmental Grants Scheme
East Gippsland Water now inviting applications for Round 2 Native Vegetation and Habitat Creation Grants program.
- Gippy’s Leading Food and Fibre Orgs to Merge
Agribusiness Gippsland and the East Gippsland Food Cluster set to amalgamate in early 2019 to support Gippsland’s important $7bn food and fibre industry.
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.
- Record Bass Stockings into Blue Rock
Bass stocked into Gippsland to improve inland recreational fishing opportunities.
- Standing with our Valued Lifeline Heroes
Standing with Gippsland communities due to fire and drought.
- Keeping Our Promises to Eastern Victoria Region
Local families will benefit from brand-new Baby Bundles, new and expanded School Breakfast Clubs and the next stage of our Solar homes program.
- Community Satisfaction Survey Results Are In
Year-on-year improvements with 2019 Local Government Community Satisfaction Survey.
- Labor Forgets Victoria’s Most vulnerable
Government has forgotten the state’s most vulnerable.
- Still Time to Apply For an Environmental Grant
There is still time to submit an application for Round 2 of the East Gippsland Water-funded Native Vegetation and Habitat Creation Grants program.