• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
By Portal Admin - 22nd October 2018 - Back to News
Member for Morwell, Russell Northe has today called for fair and equitable investment across Latrobe Valley’s numerous sporting grounds, clubs and facilities. "Our community is dedicated to, and has a fantastic participation and interest in regional sports and we need to encourage this enthusiasm in our players, families, volunteers and clubs", Mr Northe said.
"What I’m calling for in the first instance, a full review of the all local sporting facilities in our community, with an understanding of what works are required to modernise all our grounds and facilities. Secondly, the establishment of the ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ that will provide funding, enabling our clubs to complete the necessary works to bring their facilities into the modern world". This fund would provide $25 million per year for five years, to complete upgrades to each and every recreational facility across Latrobe Valley.
"I’m constantly in contact with the many passionate parents, members and volunteers who are frustrated with the standard of their sporting facilities across Latrobe Valley", Mr Northe said. "These volunteers work so hard to provide players with the support to participate in their chosen sports, yet they can’t get the necessary funding, or only receive partial funding towards what they need to keep their facilities fit for purpose".
"Within current programs of upgrades, there does not seem to be a fair or coordinated response to our grassroots sporting club needs", Mr Northe said, "the constant Band-Aid approach has left some clubs with adequate lighting but pitches that are unsafe; or reasonable pitches but inadequate change room facilities; and so on".
"For example, Soccer is the largest grassroots sport in our country yet the state of many of our soccer club’s facilities, clubrooms, pitches and lighting are extremely poor", Mr Northe said. Soccer has grown its local membership to nearly 1,700 participants, with a massive increase in junior and women participation and this is growing faster than any other region in Victoria. Unfortunately, our local facilities just have not kept up.
"Burrage Reserve is the home of Newborough Yallourn United Soccer Club. This is a team that made it to this year’s Seniors Grand Final, yet their pitch was - quite literally - a swamp. They suffered in having to play another Grand Final away from their home ground for the second year in a row, due to ridiculously poor drainage", Mr Northe said.
"Soccer, Netball, Basketball, Tennis, Football, Cricket and Recreational Clubs across our communities – there are similar stories of poor grounds and infrastructure, all across the Latrobe Valley", Mr Northe highlighted, "It is high time quality works are done, across the board".
The ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ would be established by the State Government, and complimented by funding support from Council and the Federal Government as well as funding from the peak bodies of the various sporting codes. At the moment, the Clubs who are lucky enough to have received funding are generally only able to fix one part of their overall needs.
In summary, Mr Northe is calling for:
- Funding for a full and comprehensive review of sporting club facilities to be undertaken within the Latrobe Valley
- A transparent schedule of works communicated to the community for completion over a five-year period. One manner of doing this might be to rotate the works to be completed in each of the major towns and areas per year, such as; Southern towns, Northern towns, Moe, Morwell, Traralgon
- The State Government to provide $25 million each year for the next five years to establish the ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’
- Allow where possible, the various clubs to Project Manage their own upgrades to ensure the funds are spent on the most appropriate solutions and obtain value for money
"Today, I am standing with the clubs, families, players and kids of grassroots sports in the Latrobe Valley, to fight for better conditions for them to be active, involved and participate in sports, on fitfor-purpose grounds", Mr Northe said. "We need to support our volunteers, parents, players and kids to develop in the sport, allowing all participants to enjoy being active, on fit-for-purpose grounds and clubrooms".
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Northe Calls for Improvements to Tyers School Crossing
Northe calls to enhance pedestrian safety at the Tyers Primary School crossing on Main Road.
- Northe Calls for Commitment to GCLP
Calls for continued funding for GCLP.
- Northe Calls for State Government Action on Steelvision
Decisive action needed to address the Steelvision Morwell debacle.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Valley Power Stations
Possible early closure of Latrobe Valley Power Stations
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe – Gippsland’s Unemployment Rate at Record Low
3.2 per cent regional unemployment in Latrobe-Gippsland says Australian Bureau of Statistics data.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Northe Tables Hazelwood Pondage Petition
Northe highlighted massive support by community for the retention of Hazelwood Pondage.
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- Northe Raises Need for Industry Support and Jobs
Spotlight on LV unemployment.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Northe Congratulates Good Friday Appeal Community Leaders
Contributors to Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal acknoweledged.
- Northe Puts Spotlight on Improved Local Health Services
Ambitious target to half the Victorian suicide rate by 2025.
- Northe Acknowledges Community Leaders
Contributions from community leaders, acknowledged.
- Northe Urges Community to "Speak Up"
Upcoming Tom Curtain "Speak Up" tour
- Infrastructure Barriers to Latrobe City Investment and Jobs
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Funding Boosts Local Sports Clubs in Morwell Electorate
Get active as four local sporting clubs gets funded.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- Call to Review Aussie Farms' Charity Status
A charity should be reserved for supporting the work of legitimate charities.
A call for support for #BuildingLatrobe.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Delivering Jobs for The Latrobe Valley
Businesses encouraged to register their interest.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Local Sporting Club Becomes GovHub Casualty
No club anymore for Latrobe Valley Squash members.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Council to Back Call for Newstart Increase
Bass Coast Shire Council supports increase Newstart Allowance payments.
- Developing an Aquaculture Industry in Latrobe Valley
Andrews Labor Government partners with a premium barramundi supplier to start aquaculture facility in Latrobe.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Slam Dunk for Traralgon Sports Stadium
Traralgon Sports Stadium transformation underway.
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Facelift for Sporting Facilities
Phillip Island Football Netball Club rooms at the Cowes Recreation Reserve gets a facelift.
- Funding Extension for Council’s Rural Access Program
Support for disability with Building Inclusive Communities ‘Rural Access’ Program.
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.
- Planning for Recreation Upgrades
Upgrade plans to major recreation locations for the town.
- Grantville Given a Sporting Chance
Grantville Activation Project
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Easter Egg Drive Supporting MNH Foodbank
Russell Northe teams up with Morwell Neighbourhood for Easter egg's donations.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Labor isn’t Listening to Disability Sector’s Call for Change
Labor’s State Budget has no vision for disability sector.
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- Farmers’ Market Support Program to return: only under Liberal Nationals
An elected Liberal Nationals Government plans to bring back the Farmers’ Market Support
Program axed by Labor.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- Domestic Wastewater Management
Public Draft of Latrobe City’s Domestic Wastewater Management Plan released.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Dedicated Regional Fund Must Continue
1 billion of investment to Regional Victoria to expire on June 30.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Still a Flood of Support for Pondage
Overflow of support to reopen Hazelwood Pondage.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.
- Magistrates Proceedings
Flamin Donuts and Not Maccas in the Latrobe Valley Magistrates proceedings this week.
- Daniel Andrews Cuts Support to Our Veterans
From $10.5 million to $7.7 million for Veterans.