• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
By Portal Admin - 22nd October 2018 - Back to News
Member for Morwell, Russell Northe has today called for fair and equitable investment across Latrobe Valley’s numerous sporting grounds, clubs and facilities. "Our community is dedicated to, and has a fantastic participation and interest in regional sports and we need to encourage this enthusiasm in our players, families, volunteers and clubs", Mr Northe said.
"What I’m calling for in the first instance, a full review of the all local sporting facilities in our community, with an understanding of what works are required to modernise all our grounds and facilities. Secondly, the establishment of the ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ that will provide funding, enabling our clubs to complete the necessary works to bring their facilities into the modern world". This fund would provide $25 million per year for five years, to complete upgrades to each and every recreational facility across Latrobe Valley.
"I’m constantly in contact with the many passionate parents, members and volunteers who are frustrated with the standard of their sporting facilities across Latrobe Valley", Mr Northe said. "These volunteers work so hard to provide players with the support to participate in their chosen sports, yet they can’t get the necessary funding, or only receive partial funding towards what they need to keep their facilities fit for purpose".
"Within current programs of upgrades, there does not seem to be a fair or coordinated response to our grassroots sporting club needs", Mr Northe said, "the constant Band-Aid approach has left some clubs with adequate lighting but pitches that are unsafe; or reasonable pitches but inadequate change room facilities; and so on".
"For example, Soccer is the largest grassroots sport in our country yet the state of many of our soccer club’s facilities, clubrooms, pitches and lighting are extremely poor", Mr Northe said. Soccer has grown its local membership to nearly 1,700 participants, with a massive increase in junior and women participation and this is growing faster than any other region in Victoria. Unfortunately, our local facilities just have not kept up.
"Burrage Reserve is the home of Newborough Yallourn United Soccer Club. This is a team that made it to this year’s Seniors Grand Final, yet their pitch was - quite literally - a swamp. They suffered in having to play another Grand Final away from their home ground for the second year in a row, due to ridiculously poor drainage", Mr Northe said.
"Soccer, Netball, Basketball, Tennis, Football, Cricket and Recreational Clubs across our communities – there are similar stories of poor grounds and infrastructure, all across the Latrobe Valley", Mr Northe highlighted, "It is high time quality works are done, across the board".
The ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ would be established by the State Government, and complimented by funding support from Council and the Federal Government as well as funding from the peak bodies of the various sporting codes. At the moment, the Clubs who are lucky enough to have received funding are generally only able to fix one part of their overall needs.
In summary, Mr Northe is calling for:
- Funding for a full and comprehensive review of sporting club facilities to be undertaken within the Latrobe Valley
- A transparent schedule of works communicated to the community for completion over a five-year period. One manner of doing this might be to rotate the works to be completed in each of the major towns and areas per year, such as; Southern towns, Northern towns, Moe, Morwell, Traralgon
- The State Government to provide $25 million each year for the next five years to establish the ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’
- Allow where possible, the various clubs to Project Manage their own upgrades to ensure the funds are spent on the most appropriate solutions and obtain value for money
"Today, I am standing with the clubs, families, players and kids of grassroots sports in the Latrobe Valley, to fight for better conditions for them to be active, involved and participate in sports, on fitfor-purpose grounds", Mr Northe said. "We need to support our volunteers, parents, players and kids to develop in the sport, allowing all participants to enjoy being active, on fit-for-purpose grounds and clubrooms".
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Northe Calls for Local Funding Budget Considerations
Requests for additional support and meaningful investment for local community groups, organisations and projects that would build local infrastructure and create local jobs.
- Northe calls for VRET Analysis for the Valley
Calls to the Minister for Energy clarify how the Governments Victorian Renewable Energy Target will impact communities.
- Northe Calls for Promised LV Ambulance Services
Little information available starting date for Morwell and Moe ambulance stations.
- Northe Calls for VRET Bill to be Delayed
Request on delay for the debate of the Renewable Energy (Jobs and Investment) Amendment Bill 2019.
- Northe Calls for SEA Electric Update
Questions on Sea Electric raised.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Calls for Further Assistance to Support our Bushfire-Affected Farmers
Calls for assistance to communities enduring the devastation of horrific bushfires in East Gippsland and north-east Victoria.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Northe Tables Petition Calling for Fire Track Action
Petition to ensure access to local fire emergency are adequately maintained and accessible to first responders.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Northe Supports Suicide Prevention Programs
Full support to mental health and suicide prevention programs.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Northe Tips Hat to Local Legends and Leaders
Northe salutes local legends and leaders.
- Northe’s Tribute to CFA Personnel
Northe expressed deep respect and appreciation of the local Country Fire Authority (CFA) brigades and its members.
- Northe Furious as Premier Takes Axe to Timber Industry
Premier axed the timber industry. Timber now need to be imported from other jurisdictions who don’t have the same stringent forestry standards that exist in Victoria.
- Northe Shares Concerns Over Timber Industry Shutdown
Massive impact upon local employment and our local economy predicted as timber industry closes.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Victorian Liberal Nationals Call to Investigate Lake Buffalo Expansion
Calls to investigate Lake Buffalo in north-east Victoria on its 'no dams' policy.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Sporting Clubs in Morwell Electorate Set to Score from Vichealth Funding
Russell Northe congratulating Anthony Bloomfield from the Morwell Eagles Junior Football Club on receiving their Club’s VicHealth grant
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- Putting Out the Call for a New Kind of Art
Bass Coast Shire Council calls for expressions of interest for 2019/20 project.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Seeking Funding For Recreation Projects
Bass Coast Shire Council will apply for up to $1.7 million in funding from Sport and Recreation Victoria, to complete projects in Wonthaggi and Dalyston, worth a combined $3.885 million.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Something Fishy about Gov support - Northe
Calls for support for stakeholders impacted by Hazelwood Pondage closure.
- Recreation Projects Get Going
Total of over $2.5 million awarded for recreation projects at last Wednesday’s Council Meeting.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Wonthaggi Recreation Upgrades Set to Start
Redevelopment of the tennis courts at the Wonthaggi Recreation Reserve set to start.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.
- Official Opening of the Traralgon West Sporting Complex First Floor
Traralgon West Sporting Complex officially opened.
- Support Service Open for Business
Free, flexible and confidential tailored support service for business owners in Latrobe Valley.
- Are You Ready To Get All Revved Up?
Latrobe City’s inaugural motorsport celebration event - Latrobe Motorfest.
- Garden Competition
Latrobe City Council’s annual garden competition now open.
- Extra Support for the Gippsland Community
Mind Australia Limited earmarked for $10 million in facility upgrades.
- Community Safety Fund Grants Now Open
Crime prevention grants are now open for applications.
- Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.