• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
By Portal Admin - 22nd October 2018 - Back to News
Member for Morwell, Russell Northe has today called for fair and equitable investment across Latrobe Valley’s numerous sporting grounds, clubs and facilities. "Our community is dedicated to, and has a fantastic participation and interest in regional sports and we need to encourage this enthusiasm in our players, families, volunteers and clubs", Mr Northe said.
"What I’m calling for in the first instance, a full review of the all local sporting facilities in our community, with an understanding of what works are required to modernise all our grounds and facilities. Secondly, the establishment of the ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ that will provide funding, enabling our clubs to complete the necessary works to bring their facilities into the modern world". This fund would provide $25 million per year for five years, to complete upgrades to each and every recreational facility across Latrobe Valley.
"I’m constantly in contact with the many passionate parents, members and volunteers who are frustrated with the standard of their sporting facilities across Latrobe Valley", Mr Northe said. "These volunteers work so hard to provide players with the support to participate in their chosen sports, yet they can’t get the necessary funding, or only receive partial funding towards what they need to keep their facilities fit for purpose".
"Within current programs of upgrades, there does not seem to be a fair or coordinated response to our grassroots sporting club needs", Mr Northe said, "the constant Band-Aid approach has left some clubs with adequate lighting but pitches that are unsafe; or reasonable pitches but inadequate change room facilities; and so on".
"For example, Soccer is the largest grassroots sport in our country yet the state of many of our soccer club’s facilities, clubrooms, pitches and lighting are extremely poor", Mr Northe said. Soccer has grown its local membership to nearly 1,700 participants, with a massive increase in junior and women participation and this is growing faster than any other region in Victoria. Unfortunately, our local facilities just have not kept up.
"Burrage Reserve is the home of Newborough Yallourn United Soccer Club. This is a team that made it to this year’s Seniors Grand Final, yet their pitch was - quite literally - a swamp. They suffered in having to play another Grand Final away from their home ground for the second year in a row, due to ridiculously poor drainage", Mr Northe said.
"Soccer, Netball, Basketball, Tennis, Football, Cricket and Recreational Clubs across our communities – there are similar stories of poor grounds and infrastructure, all across the Latrobe Valley", Mr Northe highlighted, "It is high time quality works are done, across the board".
The ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ would be established by the State Government, and complimented by funding support from Council and the Federal Government as well as funding from the peak bodies of the various sporting codes. At the moment, the Clubs who are lucky enough to have received funding are generally only able to fix one part of their overall needs.
In summary, Mr Northe is calling for:
- Funding for a full and comprehensive review of sporting club facilities to be undertaken within the Latrobe Valley
- A transparent schedule of works communicated to the community for completion over a five-year period. One manner of doing this might be to rotate the works to be completed in each of the major towns and areas per year, such as; Southern towns, Northern towns, Moe, Morwell, Traralgon
- The State Government to provide $25 million each year for the next five years to establish the ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’
- Allow where possible, the various clubs to Project Manage their own upgrades to ensure the funds are spent on the most appropriate solutions and obtain value for money
"Today, I am standing with the clubs, families, players and kids of grassroots sports in the Latrobe Valley, to fight for better conditions for them to be active, involved and participate in sports, on fitfor-purpose grounds", Mr Northe said. "We need to support our volunteers, parents, players and kids to develop in the sport, allowing all participants to enjoy being active, on fit-for-purpose grounds and clubrooms".
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe Calls for Support to Address Terrible Statistics in Local Men’s Health
Calls for additional support to tackle Prostate Cancer
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Northe Calls for Improvements to Tyers School Crossing
Northe calls to enhance pedestrian safety at the Tyers Primary School crossing on Main Road.
- Northe Calls for State Government Action on Steelvision
Decisive action needed to address the Steelvision Morwell debacle.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bath Calls for Immediate Rate Relief for Gippsland Farmers
Rate relief package needed for farmers in Gippsland.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Northe Writes to Minister for Public Transport regarding a Dedicated Gippsland V/line Route
Letter pleading the State Government to commence the necessary actions needed to start a dedicated Gippsland V/Line route into Melbourne.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Northe Expresses Disappointment at Lack of Commitment for Lifeline Gippsland
Russell Northe described his reaction to a recent response from the Minister for Mental Health.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Northe Urges Community to "Speak Up"
Upcoming Tom Curtain "Speak Up" tour
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- Call to Review Aussie Farms' Charity Status
A charity should be reserved for supporting the work of legitimate charities.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Facelift for Sporting Facilities
Phillip Island Football Netball Club rooms at the Cowes Recreation Reserve gets a facelift.
- Supporting a Bigger, Better Gippsland Plains Rail Trail
Investment in a scenic trail will create jobs and boost tourism in Gippsland.
- Easter Egg Drive Supporting MNH Foodbank
Russell Northe teams up with Morwell Neighbourhood for Easter egg's donations.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- Farmers’ Market Support Program to return: only under Liberal Nationals
An elected Liberal Nationals Government plans to bring back the Farmers’ Market Support
Program axed by Labor.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- Domestic Wastewater Management
Public Draft of Latrobe City’s Domestic Wastewater Management Plan released.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.