• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Targeting Weeds and Pests across West Gippsland
Funding for weeds and pests eradication under Roadside Weeds and Pests Fund.
By Portal Admin - 21st December 2020 - Back to News
The war on weeds in West Gippsland has been given a boost with funding from the Victorian Government.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing has welcomed $82,133 in funding from this year’s round of Local Government Victoria’s Roadside Weeds and Pests Fund.
Local Government Minister Shaun Leane announced the funding for Baw Baw Shire & Latrobe City Council as part of $2.79 million committed to the fight against invasive species in regional Victoria in the 2020-21 State Budget.
Rural roadsides are a ready means for invasive plants to spread throughout Victoria, and this funding allows councils to continue work to prevent their spread.
Councils like Baw Baw & the Latrobe Valley are responsible for managing rural roads are eligible for grants through the program, run by Local Government Victoria.
Even a small amount of prompt and targeted control work on weeds and pests can save farmers millions of dollars, protect native species and keep valued landscapes safe from encroachment.
Land management has proved a valuable source of employment through the Working for Victoria initiative which has seen 53 Victorian councils place 4,800 people into jobs.
Local communities have also benefitted from revegetation and rubbish removal with Working for Victoria creating more than 130 new jobs across eight Catchment Management Authorities.
To find out more about the Roadside Weeds and Pests Program, visit https://www.localgovernment.vic.gov.au/funding-programs/roadside-weeds-and-pest-management
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria, Harriet Shing
"Work funded through this programme helps protect farmland, forests and parks in West Gippsland from invasive weeds and pests that will do millions of dollars of damage if left uncontrolled."
"Weed and pest control by councils is an important part of our efforts to protect the environment and keep West Gippsland such a special place to live."
Quotes attributable to Minister for Local Government, Shaun Leane
"Councils are responsible for thousands of kilometres of rural road across Victoria and this funding recognises their role in controlling what can be a very attractive habitat for invasive plants."
"The control efforts funded through the Roadside Weeds and Pests program are also a source of jobs and fulfilling work for Victorians as we move into recovery from the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Startup Gippsland Funding to Launch Entrepreneurial Tech Program
$250,000 grant to allow Startup Gippsland to provide pre-accelerator programs targeting non-tech founders with tech-focused startups.
- Warragul’s Western Park Scores Funding for Redevelopment of Netball Facilities
Transformation fund of $1,440,000 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Gippsland Sports Stadium Now Game-Ready
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium (GRISS) now ready for games.
- Gippsland to Share in Tafe Upgrade Blitz
TAFE Gippsland to receive more than $4.3 million for modernisation and upgrades of learning spaces and and facilities at Warragul and Morwell schools.
- Northe Renews Calls for Lifeline Gippsland Funding Amid Budget Shun
Calls for increased funding for Lifeline Gippsland renewed.
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- VicHealth Funding Announced for Local Groups
Five organisations to share in more than $30,000 of VicHealth funding.
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- Helping Gippsland’s Competition Survive and Thrive
Boost given to Gippsland community sport to help local leagues and associations ride out the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Bass Coast Welcomes Funding for Public and Community Housing
$25 million for Bass Coast
- Supporting Small-Scale School Building Projects in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Important upgrades to Victorian schools.
- Transition Support Funding for Students with Disability
Extra support to transition from their final year of education into post-schooling pathways
- Growing Gippsland’s Future Health Workforce
$200,000 for a feasibility study for a Community Health Hub and Clinic at the Gippsland campus in Churchill.
- New VicHealth Funding Available
$2.5 million in new funding to support local organisations to address the immediate health and wellbeing concerns of Victorians hardest hit by the impact coronavirus pandemic.
- Northe – Gippsland business grants
Grants are available to help Gippsland businesses in the region that have been doing it extremely tough, with a number unable to open their doors or only offer limited service. Russell Northe said he cautiously welcomes this announcement.
- Career Development Boosted across Gippsland
Free online Micro-Credentialing of Enterprise Skills Program.
- Putting Gippsland People First
No Victorian left behind with the Victorian Budget 2020/21.
- Ride Nation Launches in Gippsland with First Bike Library
Gippsland's first bike library.
- School Buildings Project Funding Announced
Local schools to receive funding for building upgrades and capital investments.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Water Security Win for Central and West Gippsland
$15 million water system to increase water security, completed.