• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
By Portal Admin - 3rd November 2019 - Back to News
The Latrobe Health Advocate has moved into a new home in the heart of the Morwell CBD, making it easier for locals to have their voices heard.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing today officially opened the new offices at 2 Tarwin Street for Jane Anderson, the Latrobe Health Advocate.
The appointment of an independent voice delivers on a key recommendation from the Hazelwood Mine Fire Inquiry 2015-2016.
Since June last year, the Latrobe Health Advocate has been working with the community, businesses and government, ensuring local voices are heard and leading efforts to better long-term health and wellbeing.
In that time, she has had more than 800 conversations with people who have shared their stories, concerns and ideas to improve health and wellbeing for themselves and everyone living in Latrobe communities.
This includes a forum to improve palliative care services in the region, a submission to the Royal Commission in to Mental Health and her ‘on the buses’ engagement campaign.
The Andrews Labor Government has provided more than $80 million to support Latrobe communities and implement the recommendations of the Hazelwood Mine Fire Inquiry reports.
Of this funding, $27 million will go towards the Latrobe Health Innovation Zone over five years, to improve the health and wellbeing of the Latrobe community.
The first of its kind in Australia, the Latrobe Health Innovation Zone established the Latrobe Health Assembly and appointed the Latrobe Health Advocate, following the Hazelwood Mine Fire Inquiry.
The Latrobe Health Advocate can also be contacted at email@example.com or on 1800 319 255.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"Jane plays a critical role ensuring local voices are heard – loud and clear. She welcomes the chance to meet with locals and hear their stories, meaning locals have a real say in the care they receive, now and into the future."
"It’s vital for Jane to be easily accessible and visible to the community. This new office in the heart of Morwell makes that possible. Anyone can drop in, meet staff and have a ‘cuppa’ in a relaxed and informal setting."
Quotes attributable to Latrobe Health Advocate Jane Anderson
"People in Latrobe have shown me that they want to engage, they have something to say and they want to be heard. Visiting my office right here in the heart of Morwell is another way for people to share their views and I am here to listen."
"I am pleased to share my annual report which highlights some of the issues that matter to people in Latrobe including access to GPs. Based on strong feedback from the community it is now a priority project for me to look at how we can address this issue here in the Latrobe Health Innovation Zone."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- New Home Found for PICAL
A vacant block of land that forms part of what is locally known as the ‘Old Warley Hospital’ site on Warley Avenue in Cowes will be the future home of Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL).
- New Bills Introduced into Victorian Parliament Last Week
Three new bills introduced into Parliament this week.
- New Technology Boosting Safety in Nar Nar Goon
New technology installed at a high-risk intersection near Nar Nar Goon, for easier and safer turning to the Princes Highway.
- New Playspace for Warragul Worth its Weight in Marbles
Brand new play equipment for students at Warragul North Primary School with Pick My Project initiative.
- New Island Off-Leash Beaches Introduced
New off-leash beach areas in San Remo, Cape Woolamai, Cowes West and Ventnor will be introduced by 1 December 2019 in time for summer.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- A New Jobs and Volunteering Hub for Gippsland
New job opportunities for Gippsland locals with new job hub.
- A New Chairperson Appointed and Lots More!
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
- Work starts on new 36 million litre water storage tank at Wy Yung
Construction of a new 36 million litre water storage tank at East Gippsland Water's Wy Yung water storage facility.
- An Exciting New Era for Morwell Maternal and Child Health Services
Morwell Maternal and Child Health relocation.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Download your New Bin Collection Calendar Now
2019/20 bin collection calendars are now available for download.
- West Gippsland Healthcare Group Celebrates Completion of New Short Stay Unit and Third Operating Theatre
newly completed Short Stay Unit and third Operating Theatre at West Gippsland Hospital
- Cricket Fans are Padding Up for an Exciting New Innings in Gippsland Cricket
New home for Gippsland cricket at state-of-the-art facility at the Ted Summerton Reserve.
- Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches
Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches come December 1.
- Connecting the New College Campus
Traffic management plan for 2020 being worked on by Bass Coast Shire Council, Wonthaggi Secondary College and the Bass Coast Specialist School.
- Specialist Appointments Close to Home for West Gippsland Locals
500,000 specialist appointments in regional Victoria becomes a reality.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Specialist Appointments Close to Home for Gippsland Locals
Gippsland patients will benefit from appointments closer to home.
- Putting Out the Call for a New Kind of Art
Bass Coast Shire Council calls for expressions of interest for 2019/20 project.
- Mecwacare Announced as New Provider
Mecwacare chosen by both the State and Federal governments as the provider of Aged and Disability Services and Assessment Services for the Bass Coast Shire and will start servicing Bass Coast clients from January 2020.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.
- Growing Careers for Hard-Working Hospital Workers in Eastern Victoria
New training and skills program now open to non-clinical workers in Victorian health services to help them to grow long and exciting careers in the health sector.
- State Government Regulations for Private Pools and Spas
New regulations require council residents who own a private swimming pool or spa to register them with Council by 1 June 2020.
- The Isobel Project
New program gives female leaders opportunity to better understand the political process.
- Skate Parks Ready to Ride
New completed skate parks at Cowes, Grantville and Corinella.
- Gippsland Trail Blazes in Motorbike Safety
New pilot project for riders at Neerim State Forest.
- Skating Around Bass Coast
New Skate Park officially opens.
- Labor Votes against Stronger Penalties for Farm Trespass
Bill with new offence of ‘aggravated’ trespass with increased penalties and a mandatory minimum non-parole sentence of six months for anyone found guilty lost 13 to 26.
- Craft Malting for Gippsland & Farmer Mental Health
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Getting Ready for Three-Year-Old Kinder in Eastern Victoria
Support for new teachers from the landmark roll-out of funded Three-Year-Old Kinder.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Turning Vacant Places to Local Creative Spaces in Eastern Victoria
Projects to develop new creative spaces under Regional Coworking Spaces and Creative Places program.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Christmas Comes Early for Ted Summerton Reserve
Exciting summer of cricket as the new Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe opens.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.