• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
By Portal Admin - 2nd December 2019 - Back to News
The Andrews Labor Government is keeping the legacy of local veterans alive with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
Minister for Veterans Robin Scott and Member for Eastern Victoria today announced:
- $16,525.00 for Latrobe City Council Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project. The project will provide exterior lighting to the Yinnar Cenotaph which will increase security and safety for those visiting the memorial and attending services
- $7,807.50 for Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct. Plaques and an inscription on the new War Memorial Wall will be unveiled, representing the main theatres of war and peacekeeping in which Australians have served
- $5,000.00 for Traralgon RSL Sub Branch to rent a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020 to display photos and details of those who served in WWI, WWII and Vietnam
It is one of 84 projects right across the state that will share in $1.4 million as part of a range of grants to support veterans.
The projects cover a range of initiatives, such as ensuring memorials are preserved, commemorating veterans through services and events and providing education or training programs so veterans can remain engaged with the community.
Some of the other 84 projects include:
- $850.00 for the Longwarry RSL Sub-Branch to upgrade the Longwarry War Memorial
- $40,000.00 for Gembrook RSL Sub-Branch to for a kitchen and toilet upgrade
More information about the successful recipients of the grants can be found at vic.gov.au/grants-support-and-commemorate-veterans.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Veterans Robin Scott
"We’re working hard to protect the legacy of our veterans and pass it on for future generations."
"Our veterans fought hard for our shared values and remembering their stories reminds us to take stock of that sacrifice and pay tribute."
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"This funding is a wonderful thing for Latrobe City Council, Traralgon Cemetery Trust and Traralgon RSL Sub-Branch that do amazing work supporting our veterans – they all deserve an extra helping hand."
"We must never forget the service of our veterans – they are the reason we enjoy the freedoms we do today."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here