• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
By Portal Admin - 2nd December 2019 - Back to News
The Andrews Labor Government is keeping the legacy of local veterans alive with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
Minister for Veterans Robin Scott and Member for Eastern Victoria today announced:
- $16,525.00 for Latrobe City Council Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project. The project will provide exterior lighting to the Yinnar Cenotaph which will increase security and safety for those visiting the memorial and attending services
- $7,807.50 for Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct. Plaques and an inscription on the new War Memorial Wall will be unveiled, representing the main theatres of war and peacekeeping in which Australians have served
- $5,000.00 for Traralgon RSL Sub Branch to rent a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020 to display photos and details of those who served in WWI, WWII and Vietnam
It is one of 84 projects right across the state that will share in $1.4 million as part of a range of grants to support veterans.
The projects cover a range of initiatives, such as ensuring memorials are preserved, commemorating veterans through services and events and providing education or training programs so veterans can remain engaged with the community.
Some of the other 84 projects include:
- $850.00 for the Longwarry RSL Sub-Branch to upgrade the Longwarry War Memorial
- $40,000.00 for Gembrook RSL Sub-Branch to for a kitchen and toilet upgrade
More information about the successful recipients of the grants can be found at vic.gov.au/grants-support-and-commemorate-veterans.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Veterans Robin Scott
"We’re working hard to protect the legacy of our veterans and pass it on for future generations."
"Our veterans fought hard for our shared values and remembering their stories reminds us to take stock of that sacrifice and pay tribute."
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"This funding is a wonderful thing for Latrobe City Council, Traralgon Cemetery Trust and Traralgon RSL Sub-Branch that do amazing work supporting our veterans – they all deserve an extra helping hand."
"We must never forget the service of our veterans – they are the reason we enjoy the freedoms we do today."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Longwarry
Keeping the legacy of local veterans alive with funding to support the Longwarry RSL Sub-Branch Inc upgrade the Longwarry War Memorial.
- Keeping School Leavers Safe in Bass Coast
Young people from across Victoria will make their way to Phillip Island to celebrate the end of Year 12.
- Sustaining our War Legacy in Eastern Victoria
Honouring Victorian veterans and marks 75 years since the end of WWII.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Announcing Our State’s Outstanding Volunteers of the Year
2019 Victorian Volunteer Champion Award recipients in the Eastern Victorian Region.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Nominate your Aussie hero!
Nominations for 2020 Bass Coast Australia Day Awards Citizen of the Year or Young Citizen of the Year now open.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Dan’s ‘No Dam’ Plan Threatening Our Future Water Security
Water Minister: no point in building dams when it’s not raining.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Northe Calls for Local Funding Budget Considerations
Requests for additional support and meaningful investment for local community groups, organisations and projects that would build local infrastructure and create local jobs.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.
- Record Grants Funding to Protect Local Heritage
$3 million in grants to protect Victoria’s most important cultural landmarks and buildings.
- Tee – Up for Mental Health Golf Day Supports Local Organisations
Local golf day event held in conjunction with the Rotary Club of Traralgon to help raise funds to support Mental Health First Aid training courses.
- Funding to Improve Access – Now Open
Applications are now open for Building Disability Inclusive Businesses and Community Organisations Funding round.
- Funding to Improve Access for All
$1000 for businesses and community organizations to improve access for people with disability
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Jobs And Funding Cut under Labor’s ‘Plan’ For Regional Development
No funding cut for Regional Development Victoria after current review is finished.
- Seeking Funding For Recreation Projects
Bass Coast Shire Council will apply for up to $1.7 million in funding from Sport and Recreation Victoria, to complete projects in Wonthaggi and Dalyston, worth a combined $3.885 million.
- Timber industry Plea: Dan, Don’t Destroy Our Jobs
Timber workers were in Melbourne to rally against the Andrews Government's senseless native timber ban and sent a clear message.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Narracan
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Turning Vacant Places to Local Creative Spaces in Eastern Victoria
Projects to develop new creative spaces under Regional Coworking Spaces and Creative Places program.
- Support Service Open for Business
Free, flexible and confidential tailored support service for business owners in Latrobe Valley.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Traralgon College Takes Out Award at Wakakirri Finals Night
Traralgon College wins Best Adapted Story Award.
- Northe Tips Hat to Local Legends and Leaders
Northe salutes local legends and leaders.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Securing the Future for Local Forestry Industry Workers
Actions taken to ensure long-term and sustainable future for Victoria’s forestry industry and for local workers that rely on it.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Northe Supports Suicide Prevention Programs
Full support to mental health and suicide prevention programs.
- Traralgon Table Tennis Celebrates 70 Years
Efforts and commitment of those who have served Traralgon Table Tennis Association were recognized as the committee celebrates its 70 years.
- Wine Masterclass, Funding Opportunities & On Farm Experiences
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Extra Support for the Gippsland Community
Mind Australia Limited earmarked for $10 million in facility upgrades.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.