Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe Businesses shine in Tourism Awards
Phillip Island and Gippsland Discovery Tourism Awards claimed a resounding success.
By Latrobe City Council - 23rd March 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
The inaugural Phillip Island and Gippsland Discovery Tourism Awards held at the Premiere Function Centre last night has been claimed a resounding success.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, said that over a hundred and fifty people attended the Awards from all over Gippsland, with representatives from Tourism Victoria and the Country Victorian Tourism Council presenting the coveted awards.
“Local businesses shone through in the Awards with two Latrobe City businesses taking out three separate award categories. This is a great accolade for the region,” Cr Jenkins said.
Tourism Development Officer at Latrobe City Council, Michelle Toppin said The Old Tyers Store had achieved outstanding success setting a precedent in the awards by taking out two separate award categories.
“The Old Tyers Store took out the first for ‘Best New Business’ and ‘Arts Retail and Promotion’. The Old Tyers Store also received a Certificate of Recognition and Commendation for the category ‘General Tourism Services’ which was ultimately won by the Prom Country Information Centre in Korumburra,” Ms Toppin said.
An elated Lynda Rimsa who owns and operates The Old Tyers Store together with her mother Isabel Chapman, said that the recognition she had received was overwhelming but also extremely gratifying,
“It has been an exhausting but extremely exhilarating experience. I consciously set out to promote the very best of Gippsland as I have always believed that we had so much to offer here. I have always tried to get involved with Council’s tourism and business initiatives as well as actively pursue networking and public relations opportunities. It has definitely paid off,” Ms Rimsa said.
Judges referred to The Old Tyers Store as a testament to the determination and vision of the business owners. The inspection report referred to the The Old Tyers Store in glowing terms,
The inspection report stated “The Old Tyers Store nomination was a tribute to local rural ingenuity that had transformed a derelict local facility into a vibrant community asset. I was most taken by the enthusiasm of the proprietor and her staff and their commitment to the development of the local product.”
Gippsland Getaway Tours of Traralgon was also victorious on the night taking out the category of ‘Tour and Transport Operators’. The tour company is a family run business which operates out of the Governor Gipps Motor Inn in Argyle Street, Traralgon. The Bibbys run tours throughout the year crossing the expanse of Gippsland and have also worked extensively with Lynda Rimsa at The Old Tyers Store to promote the local region.
In another highlight for Latrobe City, the Moe Development Group was awarded a Certificate of Recognition and commendation for their application for the category ‘Festivals and Events’.
Other category award winners included Wallaby Rise in Glenmaggie for best ‘Tourism Restaurant’, the Walhalla Goldfields Railway for best ‘Regional Attraction’, the Sundowner Lodge in Venus Bay for best ‘Boutique Accommodation’, Kewley’s Holiday Cottages in Golden Beach for best ‘Budget Accommodation’, the Cowes Caravan Park for best ‘Camping and Caravan Park’, The Continental for ‘Superior Accommodation’ and the Phillip Island Nature Park for best ‘Significant Regional Attraction’.
Ms Toppin said the Awards set a standard of excellence for the region and established greater recognition for the region as a tourism destination. Ms Toppin also advised tourism operators that she would be running a workshop to assist operators with award applications later in the year.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Gippsland, a Tourism Boom that Keeps Growing
New data showed 2018 as tourism industry's biggest year.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Community Spirit Shines Bright for Flynn Hall Makeover
A 97-year-old building can serve the community once again, thanks to the people of the small Latrobe City township of Flynn.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Phillip Island Waste Facility to Be Built
Upgrade to Phillip Island facility expected to cost between $8 million and $8.5 million.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Council Welcomes Location for Phillip Island Community Hospital
Improved access to health services with Phillip Island Community Hospital.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.