Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe hosts Victorian Local Governance Association annual conference
100 people attend VLGA annual planning conference.
By Latrobe City Council - 7th February 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
The Victorian Local Governance Association was in Latrobe City in force over the past weekend, with one-hundred people attending the VLGA annual planning conference. Councillor representatives from fifty Councils around Victoria came to Latrobe, along with numerous community representatives and members.
The Victorian Local Governance Association is one of the two peak bodies for local government in Victoria. It represents a broad range of interests, and has as its mission, restoring and strengthening democracy in Victoria.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Tony Hanning said the annual planning conference was an opportunity for the VLGA membership to set the directions for the organisation for the next year.
“The Conference was very successful, with the membership determining a number of clear directions for the year in the areas of improving governance, addressing social needs, achieving sustainability, improving finances, and building collaboration and partnerships,” Cr Hanning explained.
“Latrobe City was extremely pleased to host the VLGA Annual Planning Conference for 2001. It was certainly a indication of the respect in which this Council is held, that the VLGA chose Latrobe as the location for this significant event in the local government calendar,” Cr Hanning said.
“Hosting the conference not only meant that Latrobe could provide very meaningful input into the strategic directions for local government in Victoria; it also meant that one-hundred people from across Victoria came and saw what Latrobe City has to offer. With approximately fifty different municipalities being members of the VLGA, this means a great opportunity to showcase Latrobe to a broad cross-section of the State.
“We put across the message that we do things well in Latrobe, and also that Latrobe is worth another visit. All of the delegates at the Conference were extremely impressed with what they saw, and many indicated that they would indeed come back,” Cr Hanning added.
Cr. Tony Hanning, Mayor, Latrobe City
tel. 0417 373 577
Cr. Brendan Jenkins, Deputy Mayor, Latrobe City
tel. 0417 374 590
Ms. Penny Holloway, Chief Executive Officer,
tel. 5173 1401 or 0417 557 103
Jeremy Bein, Public Relations and Communications Officer,
tel. 5173 1468
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- 2019 OPTUS Victorian Country Long Course Swimming Championships
Happening on 25th January to 27th January.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Local Schools to Remain Independent
No merger for local schools.
- Local Green Thumbs Win Big In ABC Gardener of The Year Awards
Hazelwood North couple, Denise and Athol Brand named state finalists in the 2018 ABC Gardener of the Year Awards.
- Local Moe Company Wins Manufacturer of the Year
Medium-sized business Manufacturer of the Year named.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Helping More Young Victorians Learn To Drive
Support for young Victorian student drivers.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Great Local Ideas Secure Funding Through Pick My Project
vital funding through Pick My Project
- Fixing Local Roads in Bass Coast Shire
Bass Coast Shire gets help to fix local road network with $100 million Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Nominations Open for 65th Victorian Training Awards
Nominations now open for the 65th Victorian Training Awards
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Delivering a Great Local School for Lakes Entrance
$1 million towards an upgrade at St Brendan's School.
- Delivering a Great Local School for Traralgon
Massive upgrade to Traralgon (Kosciuszko Street) Primary School with a re-elected Andrews Local Government official.
- Northe’s Tribute to Local Service Men and Women
Tribute to men and women following ANSAC Day.
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- Liberal Nationals’ plan to drive growth in Victorian agriculture
Liberal Nationals Government will grow Victoria’s agriculture and food industries if elected this
- Extra Rehabilitation Beds for Victorian Youth
New youth residential rehabilitation facility to be established in Gippsland.
- VAGO Finds Mental Health System Failing Victorian Children
Mental health system in crisis yet reform is still far away.
- Help To Grow Local Events
Bass Coast Shire Council meets up to create strategic plan to attract events to Bass Coast.
- Stronger Laws the Priority to Protect Victorian Farmers
Delay in fixing farm trespass laws while farm businesses targeted by extreme activists.
- Northe Puts Spotlight on Improved Local Health Services
Ambitious target to half the Victorian suicide rate by 2025.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Crime Prevention Grants On Offer to Local Communities
Public Safety Infrastructure Fund (PSIF) applications are now open.
- All Politics is Local
Bass Coast Shire Council supports the Australian Local Government Association’s (ALGA) Federal Election Advocacy campaign titled ‘All Politics is Local’