• Add My News • Search Old News
Latrobe Local News:
Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
By Portal Admin - 25th May 2019 - Back to News
This year’s program for the Latrobe Literary Festival is a diverse mix of writing workshops, performances and author talks, offering learning attendees the opportunity to listen, learn, create and participate. With events around Latrobe City during the week of 20 to 26 May, the festival culminates with a poetry jam at Moe and a star-studded crime writing panel at Traralgon, convened by Writers Victoria in celebration of its 30 year anniversary.
Author talks include two Gippsland writers. Author Alice Robinson will discuss her latest climate-change novel ‘The Glad Shout’ at the Latrobe Regional Gallery and communications specialist Leah Mether will talk about her book ‘Soft is the New Hard’ at Moe Library.
The Traralgon Library will host two exciting programs with Narrelle Harris hosting ‘Improbable Cause’ a presentation to celebrate famous literary Sherlock Holmes in all his literary and visual iterations, while actor Lise Rodgers will deliver her new costumed-performance celebrating Jane Austen ‘A Most Perfect Persuasion’. There is also a powerful Irish drama ‘Swansong’ being presented at the Latrobe Performing Arts Centre.
For writers, there a number of workshops including creative writing and poetry, short fiction and storytelling using social media platforms.
And crime-writing buffs will be delighted with the line-up of writers convened for the Writers Victoria ’30 Years of Crime’ panel. Mark Brandi, Kelly Gardner, Vikki Petraitis and Anna Snoekstra will discuss their own works and the crime genre in general. The panel will be facilitated by Writers Victoria chair, Nic Brasch.
Latrobe City is also hosting two writers-in-residence as part of Creative Gippsland’s Come and Play All of May. Michelle Roger will be visiting Moe Library to deliver her ‘What is Writing?’ workshop at Moe Library on 25 May. Sofie Dieu will be based at Moe Library during the week of the festival and will create an artwork in response to the poetry workshop she delivers on 20 May. A community celebration and poetry jam will be hosted at Moe Library on 26 May.
The week-long festival is a great opportunity for our community to engage with Latrobe City Libraries and explore the world of literature.
The full program of the Latrobe Literacy Festival can be found at www.latrobe.vic.gov.au/literaryfestival
"Our libraries offer a diverse range of cultural, social and learning experiences for patrons of all ages and the Latrobe Literary Festival is a perfect opportunity to get involved" - Mayor Cr Graeme Middlemiss
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Funding Extension for Council’s Rural Access Program
Support for disability with Building Inclusive Communities ‘Rural Access’ Program.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Kilcunda’s Famous Bridge Set for Facelift
Kilcunda’s iconic Trestle Bridge (Bourne Creek Bridge) gets a facelift.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Morwell Rose Garden Festival Funding
A $100,000 Federal Government funding to expand the Morwell Rose Garden Festival.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Delve Into Art This May
Gippsland celebrates ‘Come and Play All of May
- Stop the Spread of Flu this Winter
Free flu vaccinations through the Government’s National Immunisation Program.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Bass Coast joins Application for Rural Council Transformation Program Funding
Bass Coast Shire Council applies for funding to establish the next stage of a shared services entity in Gippsland.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Don’t Be Sidelined – Get Active This April
Registrations for the 11th annual Premier’s Active April campaign now open.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.