Harriet Shing MP:
Ramping up support for local sports infrastructure
Government to help improve the wellbeing outcomes and participation of communities through high-quality recreation infrastructure.
By Portal Admin - 9th February 2021 - Back to News
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing today announced the 2021 round of the fund is now open for applications. The Andrews Labor Government is getting on the new 2021 Local Sports Infrastructure Fund with:
- helping local communities transform sports facilities
- build female friendly change facilities
- light up more sports fields through
Grassroots sports clubs are the lifeblood of our towns, and they deserve modern, safe and inclusive facilities with room to grow and welcome more participants than ever before, especially women and girls.
A 22 million investment to develop sports infrastructure
The 2021 Local Sports Infrastructure Fund is investing up to $22 million for projects that develop local sports infrastructure. The Fund will improve wellbeing outcomes and support participation by disadvantaged communities and under-represented groups through the development of high-quality, accessible, community sport and active recreation infrastructure. There is a range of grant opportunities across five funding streams including:
- Better Indoor Stadiums
- Female Friendly Facilities
- Community Sports Lighting
- Facilities for Active Seniors
- Scoreboards and Fixed Equipment
The fund continues the Andrews Labor Government’s commitment to:
- increasing the number of women and girls participating in sport
- delivering more multi-sport indoor courts
- improving sports field capacity
- enabling more senior Victorians to be physically active
Sports Infrastructure project will generate jobs
Projects to receive grants from the previous round of the fund include $500,000 towards a brand-new multi-use, female friendly pavilion at Trafalgar Recreation Precinct, and $250,000 towards new athletic track floodlighting at Rieschiecks Reserve in Doncaster East. Sourcing local materials will also enable many more Victorian businesses to thrive in these uncertain times. The fund also helps generate economic activity and hundreds of jobs for:
- Project managers
- Maintenance staff
- Facility managers
- Operational personnel
Heart and soul of the local communities
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing said, "Sport and active recreation is the heart and soul of our local communities. Unfortunately, many clubs and communities are struggling with run down infrastructure. With more and more women and girls signing up to play in Eastern Victoria we are getting on with upgrading infrastructure so clubs can keep up with soaring demand, while also making them accessible and more inclusive. I urge councils and sporting organisations to partner and apply for projects that will make a real difference to the lives of Victorians."
Interested clubs are advised to contact their Local Government Authority or Alpine Resort Board to assist with the application process. For more information or to apply online visit a COVID-safe summer.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Supporting our local creative sector and workers
Local creative workers, collectives and small businesses working in all creative fields are called out to explore Creative Victoria’s 2021 grants programs.
- Government called upon to support local businesses – Northe
A call for the Government for a commitment that all goods, services and contracts are not taken away from regional businesses.
- Supporting the Landcare Jobs that Protect Eastern Victoria’s Environment
8.967 million to support the Victorian Landcare Program and environmental volunteering.
- Supporting Our Music Industry in the Latrobe Valley
Survival grants for local live music venues and new grants to protect music jobs on stage.
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- No Support for Cellar Doors Closed for Coronavirus Shutdowns
No business support for family-run cellar doors.
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Transition Support Funding for Students with Disability
Extra support to transition from their final year of education into post-schooling pathways
- Local Festivals and Events go Digital
Activities will be supported through the Government’s Multicultural Festivals and Events program, encouraging 148 community organisations across Victoria to get creative and move their events online.
- Business Support Vouchers Now Available
$1.7M Business and Community Support and Recovery Package in June this year in response to COVID-19 shutdowns
- Agribusinesses Supported to Adapt to Pandemic Conditions
Funding through the Government’s Business Adaptation Grants program will support the retraining of 30 employees in COVID-safe processes and the use of new equipment.
- Sole Trader Support Fund Applications Now Open
Victorian Governments Sole Trader Support Fund is now open for application.
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- Business Support Fund to Close Soon
Applications for the State Governments Business Support Fund Expansion program, to close over the coming days.
- Grants to Support Emergency Volunteers
14 Million in funds through the Volunteer Emergency Services Equipment Program (VESEP) to enable volunteer organisations.
- Local Choir Creates Connection and Celebration across Latrobe Valley
Inventive virtual choir promoting social connection and fun through music in the Latrobe Valley.
- Local Artists to Be Showcased Along Rail Trail
Latrobe Valley artists will have the chance to showcase their work along one of the region’s most scenic recreational trails.
- Voucher Program Supports Businesses
Council’s Business Support Voucher program to help local businesses.
- Council Grants Support the Community
138 projects funded through its Community Grants and Community Sponsorship programs.
- $14 Million in Grants to Support Emergency Volunteers
Grant to fund new equipment and vehicles in support for emergency volunteers.
- Gippsland Sports Stadium Now Game-Ready
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium (GRISS) now ready for games.
- Bass Coast Local Heroes Celebrated
Recognition of Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year2021 winners.
- Major boost for local road projects
Road upgrades to make road use safer pedestrians and motorists.
- Government Backs Down on the Omnibus Bill
Government backs down on its controversial COVID-19 Omnibus bill.
- Who is your Local Hero?
Identify and nominate our local heroes.
- Council’s Responsibilities during the Local Council Election Period
Council Election Caretaker Period from Tuesday 22 September to Saturday 24 October at 6pm.
- Northe Continues Call for Sole-Trader Support
Wanted: support for local businesses currently excluded from the Victorian Business Support Fund.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Helping Gippsland’s Competition Survive and Thrive
Boost given to Gippsland community sport to help local leagues and associations ride out the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Grants Available to Preserve Local History
Encouraging local historians to apply for a share in $350,000 to preserve,record and share history.
- Preserving Morwell’s Local History
Community groups across Victoria are being recognised for preserving, recording and sharing their community’s local history.
- Slam Dunk for Indoor Sports Stadium
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Nominate and Celebrate your Local Heroes!
Do you know someone living in Bass Coast who regularly goes above and beyond, you can always rely on for help, or you admire for their contribution to the community?
- Help us shape our Community Engagement Policy
The final Policy is expected to be considered for adoption at the February 2021 Council Meeting.
- VicHealth Funding Announced for Local Groups
Five organisations to share in more than $30,000 of VicHealth funding.
- Northe Calls for Clarity on Government Emission Reduction Targets
Transparency and clarity wanted around the energy policy and the content of Emission Reduction Target plans.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Council working to help Business Access Outdoor Dining Assistance
$87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package ready to assist local businesses.
- Lighting Upgrades to Benefit Sports Clubs
Four recreation reserves get lighting upgrades.
- New VicHealth Funding Available
$2.5 million in new funding to support local organisations to address the immediate health and wellbeing concerns of Victorians hardest hit by the impact coronavirus pandemic.