• Add My News • Search Old News
Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
By Portal Admin - 22nd October 2018 - Back to News
The Nationals Candidate for Morwell, Sheridan Bond has urged the Latrobe Valley community to get behind the campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
Ms Bond today met with parents from the Latrobe Special Developmental School who are anxious about Andrews Labor Government plans to co-locate the school with Traralgon Secondary College on Grey Street.
"The Nationals have been campaigning for quite some time for a new special development school in Traralgon and are very concerned at the Labor government’s plans to force a merger with Traralgon College, said Ms Bond.
"The funding provided in this year’s budget for both schools set alarm bells ringing earlier in the year with families, but comments made by the local Labor member in the Latrobe Valley Express last week have really raised concerns in the community.
"Co-locating Latrobe Special Developmental School with Traralgon College is not a good idea and would not be welcomed by the school, students, teachers or the wider community. It does not cater for individual needs and it does not ensure the safety and wellbeing of the students.
"My friend and colleague Melina Bath, The Nationals Member for Eastern Victoria Region, tabled a petition in parliament earlier this year with 2,723 signatures calling for the government to urgent provide funding for a new Latrobe Special Developmental School.
"Meeting today with the parents, it is abundantly clear that the school community is aghast at the prospect of co-location with a main stream school.
"Labor is now backtracking all over the place. The question is why did they announce joint funding in the budget for the two schools together when they are two separate entities?
"I will continue to fight for funding for a new special developmental school in Latrobe Valley if elected and make sure our community has the best possible facilities for children with special needs and their families.
Sheridan Bond and Melina Bath with concerned Latrobe Special Developmental School parents.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Upgrading Education for All Traralgon Students
Development of masterplan options to modernise Traralgon College’s senior campus, and rebuild Latrobe Special Developmental School on the Traralgon College Junior Campus site.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.
- Are You Ready To Get All Revved Up?
Latrobe City’s inaugural motorsport celebration event - Latrobe Motorfest.
- Garden Competition
Latrobe City Council’s annual garden competition now open.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.
- New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
- Support Service Open for Business
Free, flexible and confidential tailored support service for business owners in Latrobe Valley.
- Community Safety Fund Grants Now Open
Crime prevention grants are now open for applications.
- Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.
- Delivering Community Projects for the Valley
Almost $1.9 million in upgrades to community clubs and infrastructure across the region.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- Extra Support for the Gippsland Community
Mind Australia Limited earmarked for $10 million in facility upgrades.