Harriet Shing MP:
Local Artists to Be Showcased Along Rail Trail
Latrobe Valley artists will have the chance to showcase their work along one of the region’s most scenic recreational trails.
By Portal Admin - 12th October 2020 - Back to News
Latrobe Valley artists will have the chance to showcase their work along one of the region’s most scenic recreational trails, thanks to support from the Victorian Government’s Flexible Local Transport Solutions program.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing today announced a $25,000 investment from the Government to enhance the natural beauty of the 8.5-kilometre Moe-Yallourn Rail Trail, a popular recreational walking and cycling spot that stretches from Bennet Street, Moe to the eastern side of Yallourn Power Station.
Latrobe City Council will invite local artists to submit art works for up to seven key sites along the trail, to provide points of interest for locals and tourists using it for exercise and recreation.
The council will then work with the community, rail trail volunteers and contributing artists and businesses to select the locations and themes for the art.
The Moe-Yallourn Rail Trail Beautification Project will cost $36,000 in total, with Latrobe City Council and local business to provide the remaining funds coming from the Latrobe City Council, as well as in-kind support from local artists.
The Government’s Flexible Local Transport Solutions program provides funding for local transport initiatives, services and infrastructure in regional Victoria - working with local transport forums, regional partnerships, local councils and community organisations to identify and deliver local transport opportunities.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"We’re proud to work with council, local businesses and artists to deliver this project that will encourage healthy and active lives for people in our community."
"This project will provide high profile canvases for artists from our very talented local arts community and greatly enhance the experience of the people using the trail."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Local Choir Creates Connection and Celebration across Latrobe Valley
Inventive virtual choir promoting social connection and fun through music in the Latrobe Valley.
- Local Festivals and Events go Digital
Activities will be supported through the Government’s Multicultural Festivals and Events program, encouraging 148 community organisations across Victoria to get creative and move their events online.
- Supporting our local creative sector and workers
Local creative workers, collectives and small businesses working in all creative fields are called out to explore Creative Victoria’s 2021 grants programs.
- Bass Coast Local Heroes Celebrated
Recognition of Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year2021 winners.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Ramping up support for local sports infrastructure
Government to help improve the wellbeing outcomes and participation of communities through high-quality recreation infrastructure.
- Major boost for local road projects
Road upgrades to make road use safer pedestrians and motorists.
- Dinosaur Trail Master Plan Launches into Action
$250,000 allocated from 2020/21 Budget to complete the Master Plan.
- More Services along the Gippsland Line
Improved train frequency and reliability with a redesigned timetable effective early next year.
- Who is your Local Hero?
Identify and nominate our local heroes.
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support members’ transition to COVID Normal.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Council’s Responsibilities during the Local Council Election Period
Council Election Caretaker Period from Tuesday 22 September to Saturday 24 October at 6pm.
- Government called upon to support local businesses – Northe
A call for the Government for a commitment that all goods, services and contracts are not taken away from regional businesses.
- Grants Available to Preserve Local History
Encouraging local historians to apply for a share in $350,000 to preserve,record and share history.
- Wonthaggi Railway Station Extension in Progress
Local design company DB Design, Council and the Historical Society worked closely to prepare the project and significant attention to detail was required to ensure it was supported by Heritage Victoria.
- Preserving Morwell’s Local History
Community groups across Victoria are being recognised for preserving, recording and sharing their community’s local history.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Nominate and Celebrate your Local Heroes!
Do you know someone living in Bass Coast who regularly goes above and beyond, you can always rely on for help, or you admire for their contribution to the community?
- Valley public transport cost woes continue
Northe has renewed calls for a review of the Latrobe Valley’s unfair public transport ticketing structure that places local commuters at a disadvantage. The current MYKI system forces local commuters to pay more than other area across the State.
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Latrobe City’s Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- VicHealth Funding Announced for Local Groups
Five organisations to share in more than $30,000 of VicHealth funding.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- On the Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Artists need to register their interest by submitting a portfolio of previous works by Sunday, 22 November.
- Supporting Our Music Industry in the Latrobe Valley
Survival grants for local live music venues and new grants to protect music jobs on stage.
- Building & Improving Kindergartens in the Latrobe Valley for the Future
Victoria rolls out funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- Federal Investment gets Murray Basin Rail Project back on Track
$200 million Commonwealth rescue package to revive the Murray Basin Rail Project.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- New Initiative Opens Cultural Doors for Locals
Distance and transport will no longer be a barrier for Latrobe Valley residents wanting to attend cultural events in the regional city.
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Early Works Underway for Car Parks in the Latrobe Valley
Tests underway to determine feasibility of the eight preferred sites in Moe, Morwell and Traralgon.
- Have your say on Victoria‘s New Container Deposit Scheme
Victorians can continue to dispose of their bottles with a 10 cent refund for aluminum, glass and plastic drink containers returned for recycling.
- Aquatic centre access a win for Latrobe Leisure members
Leisure members to have complementary access on GRAC according to membership classification.