• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
By Portal Admin - 21st December 2020 - Back to News
People in the Latrobe Valley will get the help they need to re-join the workforce as part of a $47 million expansion of the Reconnect program.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing today announced TAFE Gippsland and Gippsland Employment Skills Training Inc will be two of 34 providers across the state to offer the Reconnect program next.
The Reconnect program helps early school leavers, long-term unemployed, asylum seekers and those on Youth Justice Orders re-enter the workforce or connect with further education opportunities.
The program has been expanded in 2021 to offer assistance to those whose jobs has been affected by either the pandemic or bushfires.
TAFE Gippsland will receive $560,850 to deliver the program in the Latrobe Valley.
Gippsland Employment Skills Training Inc will receive $288,350.
Providers include a mix of TAFEs, Learn Local Organisations and Community Service Organisations, with the program to delivered state-wide.
There will be places for 1700 people in the program in 2021.
The program supports people to complete Learn Local and TAFE courses while providing a range of support services to learners who may face multiple barriers to learning and transitioning to the workforce. These include access to counselling and mentoring, housing and accommodation, and health and wellbeing services.
Since 2016 the program has worked with 7430 people across Victoria and seen thousands of participants transition into accredited training.
New funding terms for providers will be offered on an initial two-year basis, with the opportunity to extend it on a year by year basis until the end of 2024. Reconnect Program funding had previously been provided over three-year periods.
More details on the program can be found here https://www.education.vic.gov.au/about/programs/Pages/reconnect-program.aspx
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"The delivery of the Reconnect program by TAFE Gippsland and Gippsland Employment Skills Training Inc will help break down the barriers for those in the Latrobe Valley to reconnect with training and employment through the delivery of vital support mechanisms and links to services."
Quote attributable to Minister for Training and Skills and Higher Education Gayle Tierney
"This expansion of the Reconnect program is ensuring that more people across Victoria will be connected to real pathways for further education and job opportunities essential to Victoria’s economic recovery."
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support members’ transition to COVID Normal.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Voucher Program Supports Businesses
Council’s Business Support Voucher program to help local businesses.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- Community Motorsport Program Funding Open
First motorsport and motorcycling funding program to back community clubs, participants and encourage greater female participation.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- Valley Public Transport Cost Woes Continue
Review of public transport ticketing for local commuter's fare.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Building & Improving Kindergartens in the Latrobe Valley for the Future
Victoria rolls out funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Bush Crew beautifies Latrobe City
Workers found new employment after losing their jobs during the pandemic through beautification of Latrobe City.
- Supporting Our Music Industry in the Latrobe Valley
Survival grants for local live music venues and new grants to protect music jobs on stage.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Startup Gippsland Funding to Launch Entrepreneurial Tech Program
$250,000 grant to allow Startup Gippsland to provide pre-accelerator programs targeting non-tech founders with tech-focused startups.
- Early Works Underway for Car Parks in the Latrobe Valley
Tests underway to determine feasibility of the eight preferred sites in Moe, Morwell and Traralgon.
- Traralgon Renewable Energy Project Supported by Latrobe City Council
Renewable energy project at Traralgon Neighbourhood Learning House.
- Supporting the Landcare Jobs that Protect Eastern Victoria’s Environment
8.967 million to support the Victorian Landcare Program and environmental volunteering.
- Local Choir Creates Connection and Celebration across Latrobe Valley
Inventive virtual choir promoting social connection and fun through music in the Latrobe Valley.
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- Innovation Centre Brings Hundreds of Jobs to Gippsland
Innovation centre to create more jobs for Latrobe Valley.
Innovation centre to create more jobs for Latrobe Valley.
- More Testing Facilities Needed in Latrobe
Enhanced testing capacities in the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Supporting Small-Scale School Building Projects in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Important upgrades to Victorian schools.
- Fighting for Jobs in Victoria's Timber Sector
Victoria’s $7.32 billion timber industry are being destroyed.
- LV Seniors Missing Out on Travel Benefits Again
Latrobe Valley seniors, disadvantaged by changes to the distribution of travel vouchers for Pensioner Concession Card holders, Victorian Seniors Card holders and Victorian Carer Card holders.
- Local Artists to Be Showcased Along Rail Trail
Latrobe Valley artists will have the chance to showcase their work along one of the region’s most scenic recreational trails.
- Multicultural Awards and Event Grants
Multicultural Festivals and Events (MFE) program and Victorian Multicultural Awards for Excellence now open for nominations.
- Agribusinesses Supported to Adapt to Pandemic Conditions
Funding through the Government’s Business Adaptation Grants program will support the retraining of 30 employees in COVID-safe processes and the use of new equipment.
- Mixed Bag Budget for the Valley
Long approved projects in the community sitting idle.