Gippsland › Latest news › Bass Coast Local News
Nominations are now open for the 2022 Bass Coast Australia Day Award
Nominations for Bass Coast Australia Day 2022 Awards.
Do you know someone great in your community? Nominations are now open for the 2022 Bass Coast Australia Day Awards for Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen of the Year. It has been another challenging year, but it has not stopped the many beautiful acts of caring, selflessness, giving and compassion from individuals within our community.
You can now nominate the person who regularly goes above and beyond helping others and whom you admire with their good deeds for Australia Day award, Bass Coast is looking for nominations for the Citizen of the Year and Young Citizen of the Year
Do you know someone living in Bass Coast who regularly goes above and beyond, you can always rely on for help, or you admire their contribution to the community? Perhaps you know someone who has contributed to the safety, wellbeing and connectedness of their community?
These Awards allow us to recognise our local heroes for all they do.
- Nominating your local hero is easy and only takes a few minutes
- Nominations close on Thursday, 25 November 2021 and the finalists and winners will be announced on Wednesday, 19 January 2022
Bass Coast Shire Mayor, Cr Brett Tessari, said that there are people out there in the community who go out of their way to help others in need, without expecting or wanting any recognition for all they do to make Bass Coast a wonderful place to live.
Supporting and making each other better
Cr Brett Tessari said, "These awards highlight the amazing contributions of these often unsung heroes, to support each other and help make life better for our community. Taking the time to nominate someone for the Awards can help these amazing people see how much we appreciate their contribution to our community."
"So if you have someone in mind, take a little time out of your day to fill out the nomination form by answering a few simple questions. We can't recognise the fabulous work that is happening right across the Shire without your nomination," Cr Tessari concluded.
Criterias for nomination
All nominees should:
- Have made significant contributions to the Bass Coast community
- Have acted above and beyond the scope of their regular employment or duties
- Be inspirational role models
- Positively impact the lives of others
- Live within the Shire
Nominees for Citizen of the Year must be aged 25 years or over on 26 January, 2022 and nominees for Young Citizen of the Year must be aged 16 to 24 years on 26 January, 2022. Nominations must be for individuals, as those for multiple people cannot be considered.
Pictures from Bass Coast Shire Council Facebook page.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nominations are now open for 2022 Australia day awards
Nominations are now open for the 2022 Australia Day Local Government Awards, nominations will only be accepted via the official forms, no other formats will be accepted.
- Nominations open to for young people for 2022 Youth Council in Wellington Shire
Wellington Shire Council is calling on young people who want to have a greater say and help build a strong and inclusive community, to nominate for 2022 Youth Council.
- Australia day awards for 2020 nominations open for people that have gone above and beyond in South Gippsland Shire
Nominations are now open for the South Gippsland Australia Day Awards.
- Nominations for Wellington Shire Council 2022 Australia Day Awards closing soon
Time is fast running out to nominate a person or group for recognition in Wellington Shire Council's 2022 Australia Day Awards.
- Still time to nominate local heroes for 2022 Bass Coast Australia Day Awards for Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year
There is still time to nominate your local heroes for the 2022 Bass Coast Australia Day Awards for Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year.
- Bass Coast Shire Kindergarten first round of registrations for 2022 are now open
Registrations for three-year-old and four-year-old kindergarten are now open.
- Businesses and employees participation wanted in 2022 Business and Industry Survey by Bass Coast Shire Council which is open until Monday 23 May
Bass Coast Shire Council's 2022 Business and Industry Survey is now open. We are calling on our 3,200 businesses, employing almost 11,000 people to participate in the survey.
- Bass Coast Council to promote Advocacy Priorities to candidates for Federal Election on Saturday 21 May 2022
Federal election set for Saturday, 21 May, Bass Coast Shire Council will continue to promote its advocacy priorities to all candidates.
- Bass Coast looks forward to working with the Victorian government to help with 2026 Commonwealth Games
Bass Coast Shire Council welcomed today's 2026 Commonwealth Games hosting announcement and looks forward to working with the State Government on securing popular sports.
- Australia Day Awards ceremony at Nowa Nowa Recreation Reserve on 22 January
East Gippsland's Australia Day Awards ceremony will be held on Saturday 22 January at Nowa Nowa Recreation Reserve from 10.30am.
- Bass Coast Shire Council calls for Inverloch to remain in the State District of Bass in response to proposed change to State Electoral boundaries
Bass Coast Shire Council will develop a submission, advocating for Inverloch to remain in the State District of Bass, following a proposal to change State Electoral boundaries.
- Bass Coast Community Vision 2041 with plan for 2021-25 and financial plan 2021-31 adopted by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council is pleased to have adopted the Bass Coast Community Vision 2041, the Council Plan 2021-25 and the Long Term Financial Plan 2021-31 at its Meeting on Wednesday.
- Bass Coast Shire Council launches new online engagement platform called Engage Bass Coast
Bass Coast Shire Council is excited to launch its new online engagement platform, 'Engage Bass Coast', on Monday, 28 February.
- Bass Coast Shire Council continues advocating aquatics facilities for Phillip Island and Wonthaggi
Bass Coast Shire Council is seeking an investment of $79.3 million to deliver its two-pool strategy.
- Bass Coast Shire Council to use unused road reserves for social housing in Wonthaggi and Cowes
Bass Coast Shire Council has resolved to make six unused road reserves available for the development of social housing in Wonthaggi and Cowes.
- Bass Coast Shire Council allocates $144,100 in Round two of the 2021 Community Grants Program
Bass Coast Shire Council has allocated $144,100 to support 45 projects, in Round two of the 2021 Community Grants Program.
- Bass Coast Shire Council continues drive for gender equality with equal prize money
Bass Coast Shire to hold sports events that have a prize money to men and women who will win.
- Bass Coast Shire residents best recyclers in Victoria says sustainability report
Bass Coast Shire residents are the best recyclers in the state, according to a recent Sustainability Victoria report.
- Michael Whelan from Bass Coast Shire council joins Victorian government 2022 Mayoral Advisory Panel
Bass Coast Shire Council has again been selected to represent other Victorian Councils on the state government's 2022 Mayoral Advisory Panel.
- Bass Coast heritage review identifies over 300 potentially significant places to be preserved and protected
Heritage review in Bass Coast Shire resulting to development and protection of places that could have potential heritage significance.
- Bass Coast Shire offers fee-free green waste disposal for summer 2021/22
Bass Coast Shire Council's annual fee-free green waste disposal period is held to encourage residents and property owners to tidy up in preparation for summer and the fire season.
- Bass Coast Shire Council gives 41 businesses up to $2000 rebate each to improve shopfronts
Forty-one Bass Coast businesses will receive rebates of up to $2000, to complete vital shopfront improvements.
- Latrobe City Australia Day Awards 2022 to Dean Sutton, Bridie Byrne and Martin Dyt
Local legends, outstanding events and champion community services have been acknowledged at the 2022 Latrobe City Australia Day Awards ceremony, held on Sunday following COVID-19 related delays.
- Bass Coast Shire Council sets direction for health, wellbeing and accessibility
The importance of health, wellbeing, access and inclusion in Bass Coast has been recognised by Bass Coast Shire Council.
- Bass Coast Shire Council, Bass Coast Health, Phillip Island Nature Parks and Westernport Water support International Women's Day
International Women's Day, held on 8 March is a global day celebrating the social economic, cultural and political achievements of Women.
- Bass Coast Shire Council continues $205,000 renewal of Grantville seawall
Further works will be carried out to renew the seawall at the end of Pier Road in Grantville, as part of Bass Coast Shire Council's Capital Works Program.
- Bass Coast Shire Council supports Sustainability Festival 2021
Sustainability festival support presented by Bass Coast Landcare Network.
- Bass Coast Yoga Festival at Inverloch Community Hub on 7 - 8 May 2022
Yoga festival that combines a unique mix of Yoga and wellness in the seaside hamlet of Inverloch, a weekend of rejuvenation & reconnection comes to Inverloch.
- Bass Coast Rail Trail wooden bridge east of Mouth of Powlett Road in Kilcunda to be renewed
Funding for the improvement of tracks, trails and the construction of the wooden bridge located along theBass Coast Rail Trail.
- Bass Coast Shire Council offers $2000 rebates for local businesses to improve shopfronts and building facades
Rebates for the service providers and local businesses to improve their shop fronts.
- Bass Coast Reconciliation Network calls to heal country as part of NAIDOC week 2021
Celebrating NAIDOC week through art, supporting the contribution and talent of the first nation in Bass Coast.
- Local Bass Coast artists transform fence surrounding Cowes Cultural and Community Centre
An exciting initiative from Bass Coast Shire Council will see 28 artists supported to install 28 artworks.
- Bass Coast Shire prepares at Phillip Island for School Leavers Week 2021
The official School Leavers Week runs from 27 November to 4 December.
- Bass Coast Shire Youth Advisory Council update - 25 November 2021
Council hears the young people's voice and supports the youth advisory council in their campaign.
- Residents can now make request online to Bass Coast Shire Council
Customers can now log their requests directly through Bass Coast Shire Council's website.
- Carol Blair from San Remo is 2022 Bass Coast Citizen of the Year
Bass Coast Shire Council announced the winner of its 2022 Bass Coast Citizen of the Year at a presentation on Wednesday, 19 January.
- Venus Bay, Bass Coast Shire and Baw Baw Shire get $275,000 funding to reduce natural disaster risk and build resilience
The Australian government is reducing the risk and minimising the impact to communities of large-scale natural disasters like floods and bushfires in Monash by directly funding three projects to the value of $275,000.
- Restrictions still apply in Bass Coast Shire Council's Local Law - Neighbourhood Amenity burning off guidelines outside of the Fire Danger Period
The CFA's Fire Danger Period has now ended in Bass Coast, however some restrictions still apply to burning off under Bass Coast Shire Council's Local Law - Neighbourhood Amenity 2012.
- Get tickets for the 2021 Bass Coast Business Awards held on Friday 18 February 2022
Tickets are now available for the 2021 Bass Coast Business Awards presentation night.
- Applications open for community groups to plan Australia Day events and activities in Wellington Shire
Funding is now available to help community groups plan Australia Day events and activities in Wellington Shire.
- Applications open for Youth Grants Program from Bass Coast Shire Council
Applications for Bass Coast Shire Council's Youth Grants Program are now open.
- Community feedback wanted on draft 2022/23 budget for Bass Coast Shire Council seeks
Bass Coast Shire Council is excited to release its Draft 2022/23 Budget for community consultation.
- Wellington Shire Council extends deadline for Australia Day Awards nominations
Extended the deadline for nominations to recognise local heroes in the 2022 Australia Day Awards until midnight on 7 November.
- Nominate a local Baw Baw Shire legend for a 2022 Australia Day Award
Nominations for the 2022 Australia Day Awards are now open and close at 5pm on Monday 22 November 2021.
- Dinosaur from Bass Coast named as Victoria's official State Fossil Emblem
Proposed dinosaur trail, to give an experience and understanding about the fossil and dinosaurs that once roamed Bass Coast.
- Big step forward for Bass Coast Dinosaurs Trail to create an interactive sound and light 'Gondwana Garden'
A masterplan developed for the community to experience dinosaur discovery, learning and creativity, a journey that links together history, community, culture and environment
- Community consultation opens on 4 April 2022 on Baw Baw Shire Council draft asset plan
Council encouraging the community to get involved and send their feedback on the draft Asset Plan the plan.
- Join in and learn about the Bass Coast Walk for Reconciliation on 26 May 2022
Council invites everyone to join Bass Coast Walk for Reconciliation on 26 May 2022, a joint media release from the Bass Coast Reconciliation Network.
- Foreshore vandalism in Bass Coast Policy to be combated with new policy
Bass Coast Shire Council endorsed a new policy at its November Council Meeting, to provide a stronger response to illegal vegetation damage.
- Seaspray Surf Life Saving Club made it Women's Open and Under 19 Beach Flags events in 2022 Australian Lifesaving Championships
Seven Seaspray Surf Life Saving Club athletes have returned home from the 2022 Australian Lifesaving Championships with plenty of results to make themselves and their club proud.
- Young Archie 2021 exhibition now open at Gippsland Art Gallery in Sale
Gippslanders will get a unique first look at Australia's oldest and most prestigious art award when the Archibald Prize opens in Sale next week.
- Newhaven jetty in Bass Coast Shire ready to be renewed
Bass Coast Shire Council is getting ready to complete a renewal of Newhaven Jetty, which has been damaged due to age and wear and tear from wave action.
- Screening 'Remote Connections' by Bass Coast Shire Council and Gippsland Disability Advocacy was huge hit
Council encourages you to get a cup of tea or coffee, sit back and relax whilst you watch 14 Bass Coast residents discuss their experiences over the next 50 minutes.
- Some of Australia's most popular newspapers now available online through Wellington Shire libraries
People can read the newspapers from any library or at home with a library card.
- Community Grant recipients in Bass Coast Shire celebrate in $151,2000 of grants
Bass Coast Shire Council distributed $151,200 to 44 community groups on Thursday, for Round Two of the 2021 Community Grants Program.
- Financial support for residents of Bass Coast Shire impacted by June storms and floods
People in Bass Coast hit hard by the storms and floods in June 2021 can now apply for financial support from the Australian Government.
- Kinder open days coming up next week for towns in Baw Baw
Look for the kindergarten facility near you and enroll your kindergartens online.
- Mountain bike trails at Mt Baw Baw Alpine Resort are now open and perfect activity in Gippsland over summer
Biking season at Mt Baw Baw is now open, with essential bookings suited for your convenience.
- Work on Smiths Beach town plan in Bass Coast Shire to commence and improve resident safety
At its meeting this week, Bass Coast Shire Council adopted the final Smiths Beach Town Plan, to allow implementation of its actions.
- Newhaven jetty on Bass Coast is ready for renewal
Bass Coast Shire Council is getting ready to complete a renewal of the Newhaven Jetty, which has been damaged due to age and wear and tear from wave action.
- Apply now for federal 'Smart Farms Small Grants' of upto $250,000 to do two-year soil extension activities on local farms
The national soil strategy is a government funding that prioritises soil health, empowers soil innovation and stewards, and strengthens soil knowledge and capability to improve soil management for better profit.
- Over 200 people attend Saturday Australia Day Celebrations at Nowa Nowa Recreation Reserve
Australia Day Celebrations hosted by East Gippsland Shire Council the shire-wide awards tapped into the Australia Day theme of "We're all part of the story - reflect, respect, celebrate".
- Bass Shire Council investigates road and drainage improvements to Sunderland Bay and Surf Beach estates
Bass Coast Shire Council is exploring the possibility of implementing a road and drainage improvement program for the Sunderland Bay and Surf Beach estates.
- Controversial Grantville sand mine extension in Bass Coast gets a green light ignoring the environmental risks
Bass Coast Shire Council is shocked and disappointed that the extension of a controversial sand mine in Grantville will go ahead after it was given the green light by the state government this week.
- Business Fibre Zone at Phillip Island in Bass Coast to give local businesses access to Gigabit Internet connections
691 Businesses in the Monash electorate will benefit from cheaper and faster broadband with NBN Co announcing the establishment of a Business Fibre Zone at Phillip Island - Bass Coast today.
- Social commentator Bernard Salt presents at Developing Bass Coast Forum at Bayview Room at Silverwater Resort in San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council is excited to be hosting its first in-person Developing Bass Coast Forum since 2019.
- Netballers now play safely at Tyers Recreation Reserve after upgrade with funding from Local Roads and Community Infrastructure program
Local netballers will enjoy safer court surfaces at Tyers Recreation Reserve with a major upgrade funded by the Federal Government.
- Envite Environment in Nowa Nowa protecting rare plant Boggy Creek Bottlebrush with Bushfire Recovery Grant funding via Landcare Australia
Federal Member for Gippsland Darren Chester (left) with Abi Wills and Matt Kennedy from Envite Environment at Nowa Nowa where a rare species of callistemon is being mapped and protected.
- Celebrate Australia Day Awards at Meeniyan Hall on 19 January 2022
Celebration of Australia Day awards to be held at Meeniyan Hall.
- Darren Chester attends 2022 Mother's day Classic in Sale around Lake Guthridge
Remembering loved ones through charity runs.
- Application open for grants to find low cost ways for Gippsland farmers to measure carbon in soil
Grants of between $100,000 and $20 million are now open for innovators in Monash for projects to lower the cost of measuring carbon stored in soil.
- Tinamba Hotel joins 2022 hatted restaurant party alongside Sodafish, Hogget Kitchen and Sardine Dining
That hat looks good on you. All the Gippsland hats from the 2022 Australian Good Food Guide Awards.
- Disaster assistance from federal funding for Bass Coast and South Gippsland after severe storms
Financial support now available to local governments in Bass Coast and Gippsland.
- Grant applications open for $34.2 million federal Future Drought Fund's Drought Resilience Innovation Grants program
Expressions of Interest (EOI) are now open for organisations to apply for projects to manage and prepare for drought.
- Farming for Success 2022 conference at Laurels Function Centre at the Sale Turf Club on 8 March 2022
Diverse stories of innovation and growth in the agriculture industry were detailed at the Farming for Success 2022 conference hosted by Wellington Shire Council this week.
- Hawthorn and Box Hill Hawks work collaboratively with Bass Coast Shire Council to increase football participation for women
Hawthorn Football Club and Box Hill Hawks are proud to announce a new partnership with Bass Coast Shire Council.
- New York Times recommends to see Bass Coast's own Penguin Parade
Bass Coast's own Penguin Parade featured at number 24 on The New York Times' 2022 list of 52 places to visit.
- Lakes Entrance Aquadome wins 2022 Small Facility Management Award at Aquatic and Recreation Victoria Industry Awards
The Lakes Entrance Aquadome came out on top at the recent Aquatic and Recreation Victoria Industry Awards.
- State government recycling plan to significantly impact Bass Coast Shire Council approach to waste over next ten years
Reforms that are going to significantly impact Bass Coast's approach to waste in the coming years.
- Extra opening hours for all outdoor pools for summer peak in Wellington Shire
Local swimmers will get some cool relief this summer with outdoor pools across Wellington Shire opening for at least three hours every day during the peak season.
- Applications open for Community Cricket Program for grass root cricket clubs to share in $13.5M funding
Applications are open for the next round of the Community Cricket Program that will provide opportunities for grass root cricket clubs to share in $13.5 million to develop and upgrade cricket facilities across Victoria.
- Guide Park Redevelopment $1.77 M project in Bass Coast Shire to begin early 2022
Bass Coast Shire Council awarded the tender for the Project at its December meeting.
- Long grass inspections are being done in Bass Coast Shire so keep up the mowing
Bass Coast Shire Council's Emergency Management Officers are currently carrying out long grass inspections, which will continue into the new year.
- Round two applications open to join Project Reference Group for Baw Baw Culture and Connection Precinct
A second round of applications are now open for community members to join a Project Reference Group (PRG) for the proposed Baw Baw Culture and Connection Precinct.
- Free Seniors Festival film and lunch event in Wonthaggi on 22 March 2022 hosted by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council, in partnership with the Victorian Seniors Festival, is hosting a free Seniors Festival film and lunch event in Wonthaggi on Tuesday, 22 March.
- Applications open for Baw Baw Shire Council Community Development Grant support of up to $5,000 for environment-related projects
From Tuesday 19 April, community groups and non-profit organisations will be able to apply for Baw Baw Shire Council Community Development Grant support of up to $5,000 for equipment or environment-related projects.
- Mirboo North Pool reopens with updated facilities from $3.6M low interest loan from Community Sports Infrastructure Loans Victorian government scheme
Mirboo North's updated pool facilities are open in time for summer fun, thanks to a community sports loan from the Victorian Government.
- Sandhill Ashes new date - Sunday 10 April 2022 from 11am at the Sarsfield Cricket Ground (SCG)
Sandhill Ashes community cricket moving its event date.
- Applications open for Deputy Chair and Committee member positions at Regional Development Australia
Applications are invited for Deputy Chair and Committee member positions at Regional Development Australia.
- Applications open for $2,500 to $20,000 grants so local organisations and community groups can join Queen's Jubilee tree planting program
Local organisations and community groups can apply to be a part of the Planting Trees for the Queen's Jubilee program.
- Applications open for Gippsland Recycling centres grants up to $500,000 from Victorian government $40.9M Regional Recycling Fund
Recycling centres across regional Victoria including in Gippsland can apply for grants of up to $500,000 for infrastructure upgrades as part of Round One of the $40.9 million Regional Recycling Fund.
- Farming for Success 2022 Agriculture Gippsland wide conference in Sale 8 March 2022
Wellington Shire to host the agriculture conference "Farming for Success 2002 on 8 March.
- Local community sporting events can now apply for support through the Regional Sports Events Fund of the federal government
Funding to support local community sporting events is now available through the Federal Government.
- Erica Country Expo 2022 major success as crowds celebrate good old country fun
Excited visitors and locals have flocked to celebrate the Erica Country Expo, a community-led event and the first of its kind to be held in the local region.
- Latrobe City Community Fun Run 2022 organised by Traralgon Harriers to raise money for Gippsland Rotary Centenary House
The Traralgon Harriers' 24th annual DFP Recruitment Latrobe City Fun Run and Walk held on Sunday, 27 March 2022.
- Applications open for community sporting events across the Gippsland from federal Regional Sport Events fund
Sporting events across Monash are set to benefit from the Morrison Government's Regional Sport Events Fund.
- Condition assessments on over 400 buildings and structures to be done by Bass Coast Shire Council in October and November 2021
Bass Coast Shire Council to carry out condition assessments on over 400 buildings and structures during October and November.
- Implementation of revised Open Space Maintenance Standards by Baw Baw Shire Council sees improvement on the ground
Implementation of the adopted open space maintenance will have operational changes, gaining more appreciation and positive feedback.
- South Gippsland Shire Council update late February 2022 - Register now to have your say
Join In The Know to receive fortnightly updates on what is happening at council and how you can get involved.
- Grants for creative workers open from state government' 'Sustaining Creative Workers' initiative
The Victorian Government's Sustaining Creative Workers initiative is now open for applications, providing critical support to Victoria's independent creative sector when they need it most.
- Applications open for community grants of up to $10,000 from Baw Baw Shire Council
Announcement of application dates for the community development grants program.
- Wellington shire residents now eligible for storm recovery assistance from Federal government
Funding to provide assistance to the residents affected by the storm in their recovery process.
- Second Sandhill Ashes on 3 April 2022 at Sarsfield Cricket Ground - funniest match of cricket in Gippsland
The greatly anticipated second instalment of the Sandhill Ashes event is fast approaching.
- Federal government' Financial Assistance Grant 2021-22 second payment for Bass Coast, Baw Baw, Latrobe City and South Gippsland Shire Councils
Local governments in Monash have received their second 2021-22 quarterly payment through the Federal Government's Financial Assistance Grant program.
- Grantville Jetty to be renewed by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council will renew the Grantville Jetty this month, to improve the safety of the structure which has deteriorated due to age and wear and tear from wave action.
- Join in the Australia Day celebrations across Baw Baw Shire
Everyone is invited to join and celebrate Australia Day 2022 festivities.
- Funding applications open for new $3M Culture, Heritage and Arts Regional Tourism (CHART) federal program
The Morrison Government is investing more than $1 billion into the arts and creative sector in 2021‑22.
- Bowls Victorian Open to be held in Latrobe City on 25 March to 2 April 2023
Bowls Victoria, together with Latrobe City Council, are incredibly excited to officially announce a landmark 5-year agreement for the staging of the Victorian Open, commencing March 2023.
- South Gippsland Shire Council update early May 2022 - Community feedback on Draft Integrated Plans encouraged
In The Know is your fortnightly reminder of what Council is up to at the moment, have a look at what is going on and how you can get involved!
- East Gippsland Shire Council supports Clean Up Australia Day by accepting labelled bags from registered sites at no charge
Clean Up Australia Day is on again on Sunday 6 March and now is the time to get your local community group or a bunch of friends together to clean up a site near you.
- Green light for Australia Day celebrations to go ahead in Latrobe City
Celebrations of culture, community and connectedness will go ahead on Australia Day at venues across Latrobe City.
- Join South Gippsland Australia Day Short Film and Photography competition for 2022
Short film and photography competition hosted by the council that will be shown in Leongatha cinema.
- Kilcunda Caravan Park on Bass Highway gets new long-term lease
Bass Coast Shire Council has awarded a long-term lease for the Kilcunda Caravan Park, located on the Bass Highway in Kilcunda.
- Permit fees for outdoor dining waived by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council will waive permit fees for hundreds of hospitality venues to encourage more outdoor dining to help the region bounce back from pandemic lockdowns.
- Baw Baw Shire kindergarten open days for 2023 have started
Baw Baw families looking to enrol their children in kindergarten for 2023 are invited to attend upcoming Open Days in their township.
- Cowes foreshore gets new groynes to improve coastal protection from Bass Coast Shire Council
Eight new timber groynes are now in place to protect the Cowes East foreshore from erosion.
- Michael Whelan elected as Mayor and Leticia Laing as Deputy Mayor for Bass Coast Shire Council in 2021/22
Bass Coast Shire Council has elected Cr Michael Whelan as Mayor and Cr Leticia Laing as Deputy Mayor at its November Meeting.
- South Gippsland Shire Council update late April 2022 - Community feedback wanted on draft plans
In The Know is your fortnightly reminder of what Council is up to at the moment. Have a look at what is going on and how you can get involved!
- Enter your best photographs for 2022 #lovegippsland calendar competition
Local MP Darren Chester is encouraging Gippslanders to enter their best photographs in the 2022 #lovegippsland calendar competition.
- Feedback on Local Law review from community from Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council is calling on the community to provide their feedback on the Draft Local Law No. 1 Neighbourhood Amenity 2022.
- Feedback sought on draft Smiths Beach town plan by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council has developed the Draft Smiths Beach Town Plan, following extensive community engagement in 2020 and is now looking for feedback.
- South Gippsland Shire Council update early April 2022 - Reconnect All-ages Festival at Leongatha Recreation Reserve
Amazing musicians, great food trucks and maybe a roving performer or two, Reconnect is an opportunity for music-lovers of all ages to come together and celebrate good times.
- Online climate change community portal launched by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council's online climate change community portal has launched, providing locally relevant climate change information to the community.
- Footpath renewal and parking bay upgrades of $80,000 in Inverloch under Bass Coast Capital Works Program
Bass Coast Shire Council has several renewal projects about to get underway in Inverloch.
- Black Spot program funded nearly $3 million for three projects in Baw Baw, Bass Coast and South Gippsland Shires for 2020-21
Installation of safety barriers and safety upgrades such as lighting, signage, traffic lights and roundabouts in Sand Road/Princes Way as part of the government's Black Spot Program.
- Lakes Entrance Aqua Park opens as part of Summer Carnival 2022
Prepare for balancing, climbing, dodging, weaving and plenty of splashing because Lakes Entrance Aqua Park has just opened!
- Winners of 2021 Business Awards held at Silverwater Resort in San Remo announced by Bass Coast Shire Council
Local businesses were in the spotlight on Friday (18 February) night, as Bass Coast Shire Council announced the winners of the 2021 Business Awards at an event held at Silverwater Resort in San Remo.
- Planning Institute of Australia award for improving planning processes won by East Gippsland Shire Council
East Gippsland Shire Council and Brimbank City Council have jointly won a Planning Institute of Australia award for improving planning processes.
- Reminder for beach goers to swim between the flags from Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council is urging everyone to be safe by the water this summer and to always swim between the red and yellow flags at a patrolled beach.
- Baw Baw Shire Council amends local law on issues like open air burning, unsightly properties, weeds, shipping containers and relocatable buildings
Council has adopted the amended Community Local Law 2016.
- Activism Against Gender Based Violence campaign supported by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council will be facilitating 'chats' with its employees and the community, throughout the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Based Violence campaign, which starts today (25 November).
- Free flu vaccines shots from National Immunisation Program start 10 May in Bass Coast Shire so book now
Bass Coast Shire Council's Influenza immunisation program will begin in May, which offers free flu vaccinations through the National Immunisation Program.
- Sun sets on Gippsland life saving patrols in 2022 as busiest lifesaving season in Victoria ends
The red and yellow flags will be taken down on Gippsland clubs and state-wide beaches for the last time this season, ending Victoria's busiest lifesaving season to date.
- Outdoor Entertainment Rebate Program gives up to $300 from Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council's Outdoor Entertainment Rebate Program will give businesses rebates of up to $300 for providing outdoor entertainment this summer.
- South Gippsland Shire Council update early March 2022 - Great Southern Rail Trail project
South Gippsland Shire Council's 'In The Know' is your fortnightly reminder of what council is up to at the moment, have a look at what is going on and how you can get involved!
- More outdoor trading over summer period to be encouraged by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council will once again transform outdoor spaces to encourage more outdoor trading over the coming summer period.
- Community Assistance Grants of $2,001 to $5,000 now available in Wellington Shire Council
Community groups looking for funding help can apply now for the latest round of Wellington Shire Council's Community Assistance Grants.
- Walk-in COVID-19 testing site now at Moe Senior Citizens Centre
The Moe Senior Citizens Centre will operate as a walk-in COVID-19 testing site from tomorrow (7 September) as case numbers rise across Victoria.
- South Gippsland Shire Council update late March 2022 - Opportunity to have your say
Join In The Know to receive fortnightly updates on what is happening at Council and how you can get involved, this is your opportunity to let us know what you think and provide your feedback.
- Pet plan (Domestic Animal Management Plan 2021/25) adopted by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council has adopted its Domestic Animal Management Plan (DAMP) 2021-25 at the October Council Meeting.
- Community feedback on proposed changes to governance rules for Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council is looking for community feedback on proposed changes to its Governance Rules.
- Community survey for South Gippsland Shire open for residents to feedback likes, challenges and priorities
South Gippsland Shire Council (Council) is undertaking research to help understand community needs.
- Community feedback wanted on local caravan and camping needs by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council is seeking feedback from the community on the caravan and camping options that are available across the region.
- South Gippsland Shire Council update late January 2022 - Register for Community Vision online forum
Council is inviting the eligible residents to register and join the community vision online forum.
- Landcare Australia gets bushfire environmental recovery boost of $3.8 million from federal wildlife and habitat recovery for East Gippsland
Nearly 20 projects in East Gippsland will receive funding to aid the recovery of native wildlife and habitat severely impacted by the 2019/20 black summer bushfires.
- Feedback wanted from families for local kindergarten providers and Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council and local kindergarten providers want to hear from families, to better understand kindergarten needs for the Shire into the future.
- Applications to non-residents undertaking fire preparedness now have COVID travel restrictions exemptions
Non-residential owners of properties in the Wellington Shire can now apply for an exemption from Covid-19 travel restrictions for the purposes of undertaking fire prevention works.
- Family Day Care from Baw Baw Shire Council wins National Service of the Year at Excellence Awards in Canberra
Baw Baw Shire Council's renowned Family Day Care service has been recognised as the National Service of the Year at the Family Day Care Australia Excellence in Family Day Care Awards in Canberra.
- Industrial land use strategy on existing and future supply adopted by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council adopted the Bass Coast Industrial Land Study at its council meeting, held on Wednesday, 16 March.
- Recycled road method to renew Matthew Street in Wonthaggi being used by Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council is using an innovative method to renew Matthew Street in Wonthaggi, between Broome Crescent and Stewart Street.
- Feedback wanted in the Local Law review for Bass Coast Shire
Bass Coast Shire Council is currently reviewing its Local Law and is calling on the community to provide feedback on the proposed changes.
- Fossil hunting guided tours to discover dinosaurs that roamed along Bunurong coastline in Bass Coast start 27 December 2021
Guided tours over the summer period for budding paleontologists at the Dinosaur Dreaming sites.
- Cowes Culture and Community Centre construction tender up to be considered by Bass Coast Shire Council on 20 Oct 2021
Council project that valued the community's feedback and would create jobs for the local community.
- New oval lighting for Inverloch, Dalyston and Cowes recreation reserves from Bass Coast Shire Council
Bass Coast Shire Council will install new oval lighting at the Inverloch, Dalyston and Cowes recreation reserves over coming months.
- South Gippsland Shire Council update early February 2022 - Regional Profile Survey closing soon
South Gippsland Council's project plans and updates for the community.
- Free public transport to revive Melbourne CBD from December to January 2022 says Property Council of Australia
Property Council of Australia joined the call for free public transport to drive the city's revitalisation.
- Staying safe from COVID Omicron surge in Bass Coast Shire
Information is brought for the community by Bass Coast Health and Bass Coast Shire Council to prepare, manage, and isolate.
- Outstanding success with competition surfing returning with Phillip Island Pro 2022 to Bass Coast
Bass Coast Shire Council is proud to support events right across the Shire and as part of this, has a longstanding commitment to hosting surfing events in the region.
- Kerryn Ellis as South Gippsland Shire Council CEO is in Top 50 Public Sector Women 2022 from Institute of Public Administration Australia
Statement from Mayor Mohya Davies: re CEO Kerryn Ellis Award.
- Sarah Nation, Terry Russell and Sian Lawler winners of 2022 #LOVEGIPPSLAND calendar photos
Local MP Darren Chester has announced the three winners of the 2022 #lovegippsland calendar competition.
- Easing of COVID-19 restrictions from midnight 22 April 2022 welcomed by Wellington Shire Council
Wellington Shire Council has welcomed the State Government announcement that Covid-19 pandemic restrictions will be eased as of midnight tonight.
- Push and FReeZA team up to bring Australia's finest young musicians to Bruthen Inn Hotel on 26 March 2022
Youth music organisation The Push and youth development program FReeZA have teamed up to bring some of Australia's finest young musicians to Bruthen for the second last show tour which provides live music for younger audience.
- Victorian Electoral Commission calls for candidates for the upcoming South Gippsland Shire Council election from 16 September 2021
Nominations to stand as a candidate for the South Gippsland Shire Council general election open on Thursday 16 September.
- Free event for International Women's Day at Wonthaggi Union Community Arts Centre on 8 March 2022
Bass Coast Shire Council is hosting a free event for International Women's Day on Tuesday, 8 March at the Wonthaggi Union Community Arts Centre.
- Community to feedback wanted on Urban Forest Strategy for Bass Coast Shire
Bass Coast Shire Council is developing an Urban Forest Strategy, to help ensure Bass Coast's 'urban forest' continues to thrive.
- Activating our outdoor spaces this summer for business in Bass Coast Shire
Bass Coast Shire Council is helping local businesses to create outdoor trading and dining spaces across the Shire this summer.
- Surf Beach and Sunderland Bay Project concept plans need community feedback from Bass Coast residents
Bass Coast Shire Council will continue its development of concept plans for the potential special charge scheme for road and drainage upgrade works for the Surf Beach and Sunderland Bay estates.
- TAFE Gippsland Warragul campus upgrade complete and now world-class training facility
The Andrews Labor government has completed its multimillion-dollar upgrade of TAFE Gippsland's Warragul campus, giving local jobseekers the chance to train in world-class facilities before entering a rewarding career.
- Sale air show to get flying start for Gippsland in 2022 by Wellington Shire Council
An event that would give chance to reconnection of former air force colleagues, attract visitors that would also give boost to the economy.
- Summer swim season outdoor pool passes for Sale and Yarram extended to Easter Monday 18 April 2022 by Wellington Shire Council
Wellington Shire Council has extended all summer swim season outdoor pool passes for use at Aqua Energy's indoor pools in Sale until Easter Monday, 18 April.
- Grantville footpath replacement along Bass Highway to get start
Part of the footpath along Bass Highway in Grantville will be replaced in coming weeks.
- Community feedback wanted on Communications and Engagement Strategy for Bass Coast Shire
Bass Coast Shire Council is reviewing its Communications and Engagement Strategy and wants to hear from the community.
- Community feedback wanted on Surf Beach and Sunderland Bay estates drainage works by Bass Coast Council
Bass Coast Shire Council will continue to investigate a potential special charge scheme for road and drainage upgrade works for the Surf Beach and Sunderland Bay estates.
- 2021/22 Community Sponsorship Program applications open from Baw Baw Shire Council
Round 2 of Baw Baw Shire Council's 2021/22 Community Sponsorship program is now open for applications.
- Energy from waste facility for Masdar Tribe Australia in Latrobe Valley gets $48.2M from Morrison coalition Modern Manufacturing grant
The Morrison Government is investing $48.2 million in a state-of-the-art energy from waste facility in the Latrobe Valley, helping to power Opal's pulp and paper mill while driving down emissions.
- Latrobe Regional Hospital to host Mind Australia pop-up community mental health service and cater to Gippsland
Additional funding to support the mental health workforce for better and more accessible services as the Latrobe Regional Hospital to host one of the pop-up community mental health services.
- Jessica Jackson from Seaspray Surf Life Saving compete in the Australian Super Surf Teams League 2022 in Bondi
Raising the curtain for the iconic Kellogg's Nutri Grain IronMan and IronWoman Series at North Bondi Surf Life Saving Club.
- More jobs in Latrobe Valley as Govhub opens for business
GovHub to open and create more jobs in the community and support economic growth.
- Remembrance Day commemoration for Baw Baw Shire will be hosted in Warragul at the Cenotaph
Remembrance Day commemoration will be hosted in Warragul at the Cenotaph on the corner of Smith and Victoria Streets
- Gippsland residents reminded to submit photographs the 2022 #lovegippsland calendar
Encouraging photographers and the community to send their photograph entry for the calendar.
- Tee-Up Golf Day 2021 in Traralgon raises $20,000 for suicide prevention and mental health with help of Russell Northe and Rotary Club
Member for Morwell, Russell Northe has spoken of his pride with regards to the business and community support that was received for the 2021 Tee-Up for Mental Health Day to which Mr Northe co-hosted along with the Rotary Club of Traralgon.
- Gippslanders urged to visit Sale in October to see Australia's oldest and most prestigious art award - Archibald Prize
Entries on Young Archie 2021 exhibition in Gippsland are on exhibition on Level 2 of the Gippsland Art Gallery, from 27 Sep - 21 Nov 2021.
- Wonthaggi Civic Centre lits up for International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia on 17 May 2022
The Wonthaggi Civic Centre will be lit up tonight (Tuesday, 17 May) to acknowledge and support International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia (IDAHOBIT).
- Work begins on 360 metre rock revetment wall along Cowes East Foreshore by Bass Coast Shire Council
Works on Cowes East Foreshore will begin on 1 February and be completed by the end of July, subject to weather and tidal conditions.
- Hopeful return of full duck season in Victoria for 2022 says Tim Bull
The Nationals Member for Gippsland East, Tim Bull said 2022 will hopefully see the return of a full duck season in Victoria.
- Darren Chester welcomes Offshore Electricity Infrastructure Bill to allow large Bass Strait projects with hundreds of local jobs
Federal Member for Gippsland Darren Chester has welcomed the introduction of legislation to develop offshore electricity infrastructure with local jobs at stake.
- Difficult to celebrate International Women's Day when reflecting on issues confronting women in Australia
Reflecting on the issues confronting women in Australia, on International Women's Day, I confess, that like last year, it's difficult to find things to celebrate.
- Uniting Gippsland Family Day Care in Bairnsdale and Paynesville Neighbourhood Child Care Centre get $380,000 for child care services for East Gippsland
Two child care providers in East Gippsland have received a welcome funding boost to meet the needs of local families.
- NYE on the Hill 2021 three day festival near Loch Village in South Gippsland gets $178,200 from federal Restart Investment to Sustain and Expand Fund
Receiving support from the government to give more opportunities to the arts sector, as well as job opportunities for the community.
- Advocacy Priority list endorsed and several important grant applications supported by Bass Coast Shire Council
Revised and updated advocacy priorities that will seek funding.
- Study shows erosion impacts on Kilcunda foreshore in Bass Coast Shire
The Kilcunda Foreshore Erosion Options Assessment Report has recently been released, outlining a study into the impacts of erosion on the Kilcunda foreshore.
- Further $10 million allocation to upgrade and replace bridges in Australia through federal government's Bridges Renewal Program (BRP)
More bridges in Gippsland will be eligible to be replaced as part of the Federal Government's Bridges Renewal Program (BRP).
- East Gippsland Men's sheds encouraged to apply for grants up to $80,000 to improve facilities via 2022-23 Men's Shed Funding Program
Men's Sheds grants that support the establishment, expand or refurbish existing sheds across the state are now open.
- Phillip Island to host the Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships twice in 2022
Morrison Government has supported Phillip Island's bid to host the two events with $150,000 of funding through the Recovery for Regional Tourism program.
- East Gippsland welcomes newest citizens for Australia Day 2022
East Gippsland has welcomed 14 new Aussies at a citizenship ceremony held on Australia Day - Wednesday, January 26.
- Berrys Beach Road renewal in Ventnor gets $400,000 from Victorian government and $25,000 from Bass Coast Council
A section of Berrys Beach Road in Ventnor will be renewed by Bass Coast Shire Council in coming weeks.
- Visit artists home studios from 13-14 November 2021 during Open Studio West Gippsland
A weekend-long event for you to relax while you discover some of the amazing areas west Gippsland can offer.
- Trafalgar multi-use pavilion and synthetic bowling rink official opens 5 March 2022
Trafalgar sporting clubs and community members have come together to celebrate the official opening of two major upgrades to the town's sporting infrastructure.
- Gippsland Performing Arts Centre program ready for March 2022 opening
The stage is almost set for world-class shows and entertainment as construction of the Gippsland Performing Arts Centre (GPAC) nears completion ready for the March 2022 opening.
- Celebrate and shop locally in Latrobe CIty as part of Main Streets of Australia Week from 16 to 22 May 2022
Latrobe City Council is celebrating Main Streets of Australia Week from 16 - 22 May, encouraging the community to support small businesses by shopping local.
- Victorian Remembrance Day attendance under a cloud of doubt
Limiting the Remembrance Day attendees, allowing only the fully vaccinated and at 50 percent capacity.
- Pop-up program from Baw Baw Shire Council is back and starts 17 March 2022 in Thorpdale
Baw Baw Shire Council's popular Council Pop-up program is back for 2022, taking council and staff on the road to speak to locals where they live.
- Local community invited celebrate completion of solar energy project at Coronet Bay Community Hall in Bass Coast
Bass Coast Shire Council is inviting the community to celebrate the completion of the solar energy project at Coronet Bay Community Hall this month.
- Orbost Airport wins National Airport Industry Award for 2021 from Australian Airport Association
The airport, along with Bairnsdale and Mallacoota airports, is managed by East Gippsland Shire Council.
- Gippsland tourism peak body aligns with Tourism Australia and encouraging vaccinations
National response for COVID-19, protecting yourself and the community.
- Disappointment expressed by Russell Northe at Bank Australia for closing Morwell branch
Closure of another bank to bring more disappointment to the residents.
- Emma Wiggle and Elsa from Frozen appear at local parks in Wellington Shire from 5 to 13 March 2022 as part of Parks Week
Parks Week runs from 5 to 13 March with a jam-packed calendar of free or affordable events for the whole family.
- New data shows thousands of Victorian youth in crisis waiting 60 days or more for mental health appointments
New data revealed today shows thousands of vulnerable youths at crisis point are now waiting more than 60 days for mental health appointments.
- Applications for Latrobe City Tourism and Major Events Advisory Committee are open until 18 May 2022
Invitation for the community to send their expression of interest with regards to the Latrobe City Tourism and Major Events Advisory Committee.
- Nominate a local hero for East Gippsland Shire Australia Day Awards
Perfect time to shine a spotlight on an unsung hero who has made a positive contribution to our community.
- Access and inclusion on the agenda for Bass Coast
Council held an access and inclusion forum to help shape the development of a new disability action plan.
- Funding of $143,836 award to 34 community development grants in Baw Baw Shire
Acknowledging the valuable contributions made by community groups in the shire through the Community Development Grant.
Latest NewsCountry commuters stranded on neglected V/Line network from Andrews Labor government budget cuts
Feedback on Local Law review from community from Bass Coast Shire Council
Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre on Church Street to be relocated to Blue Gum Reserve on Warley Avenue
Applications for Latrobe City Tourism and Major Events Advisory Committee are open until 18 May 2022
Mental health cut $60M from Beyond Blue, Perinatal Anxiety and Depression Australia, Lifeline and Kids Helpline by Andrews Labor government
Sale and Yarram in Wellington Shire raise pride flag in support for the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Interphobia and Transphobia
Community to feedback wanted on Urban Forest Strategy for Bass Coast Shire
Latrobe Literary Festival at Traralgon Library with Hugh McGinlay & Esmerelda, Stephen Johnson and Vikki Petraitis from 17-28 May 2022
Latrobe Valley Blue Hydrogen project gets $2.98M support from federal government and Latrobe City Council
Surf Beach and Sunderland Bay Project concept plans need community feedback from Bass Coast residents