Latrobe Local News:
Rural Leadership Program to Nurture Local Towns
A program to stimulate business and growth in six of Latrobe City’s towns and townships through a Rural Leadership project, has been announced by Latrobe City Council.
By Latrobe City Council - 16th October 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
A program to stimulate business and growth in six of Latrobe City’s towns and townships through a Rural Leadership project, has been announced by Latrobe City Council. The announcement follows a $50,000 State and Regional Development grant, matched dollar-for-dollar by Council.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, said implementation of the Rural Leadership Program would provide real opportunities for local township communities to influence the future direction of the Municipality’s regional townships.
The six towns and townships involved in the program are Traralgon, Moe, Morwell, Traralgon South, Boolarra and Glengarry.
"The Rural Leadership Program will nurture the development of the six local towns and their community leaders. The core element of the program is to stimulate business and township growth through a recognition of strengths and weaknesses, honing in on local attributes that can be built upon," Cr Jenkins said.
"The program also has an importance to the municipality as a whole, as it forms part of the City’s Economic Development initiative to sustain, maintain and retain growth throughout communities, irrespective of their size within the Latrobe City.
Cr Jenkins said the program followed a successful StreetLife project that concluded earlier in 2001, which had identified assets and development opportunities in six other Latrobe townships.
"The Rural Leadership Program builds upon the earlier success of the StreetLife program in a further six communities. It provides us all with a greater understanding of how each community sees itself and its future. As such, we can all work towards a common goal and assist each other in realising the full potential of the region," Cr Jenkins said.
"The participation of local communities and the information provided by local residents is an integral part of the program, which will involve extensive consultation with residents via community meetings. These meetings will provide residents with background details, a context for the program, and will call for the development of community network groups.
"Participants will be asked to undertake a survey of their locale and take photographs of various attributes. The information they gather will be used to develop themes and images of their local community, from which positive aspects of their community, and potential areas for improvement can be identified.
"Increased internal awareness has enormous economic and social benefits for individual townships and the region as a whole, including increased business and visitor attraction, tailored targeting and promotions, as well as sensitive and complementary infrastructure development," Cr Jenkins added.
"Following the appointment of a Rural Leadership Officer to coordinate the project, residents of the six towns and townships will be invited to participate in the program through advertisements in the media, and through community organisations and contacts," Cr Jenkins added.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- Voucher Program Supports Businesses
Council’s Business Support Voucher program to help local businesses.
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.
- 2021 Victorian Youth Parliament Program Applications Now Open
Youth Parliament program to encourage youth in raising awareness on important issues.
- Community Motorsport Program Funding Open
First motorsport and motorcycling funding program to back community clubs, participants and encourage greater female participation.
- Local Festivals and Events go Digital
Activities will be supported through the Government’s Multicultural Festivals and Events program, encouraging 148 community organisations across Victoria to get creative and move their events online.
- Local Choir Creates Connection and Celebration across Latrobe Valley
Inventive virtual choir promoting social connection and fun through music in the Latrobe Valley.
- Local Artists to Be Showcased Along Rail Trail
Latrobe Valley artists will have the chance to showcase their work along one of the region’s most scenic recreational trails.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Supporting our local creative sector and workers
Local creative workers, collectives and small businesses working in all creative fields are called out to explore Creative Victoria’s 2021 grants programs.
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Bass Coast Local Heroes Celebrated
Recognition of Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year2021 winners.
- Agribusinesses Supported to Adapt to Pandemic Conditions
Funding through the Government’s Business Adaptation Grants program will support the retraining of 30 employees in COVID-safe processes and the use of new equipment.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Agribusinesses Supported to Adapt to Pandemic Conditions
Business Adaptation Grants program has been extended.
- Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
- Latrobe City’s Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Business Support Fund to Close Soon
Applications for the State Governments Business Support Fund Expansion program, to close over the coming days.
- Government called upon to support local businesses – Northe
A call for the Government for a commitment that all goods, services and contracts are not taken away from regional businesses.
- Ramping up support for local sports infrastructure
Government to help improve the wellbeing outcomes and participation of communities through high-quality recreation infrastructure.
- Major boost for local road projects
Road upgrades to make road use safer pedestrians and motorists.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support members’ transition to COVID Normal.
- Business Support Vouchers Now Available
$1.7M Business and Community Support and Recovery Package in June this year in response to COVID-19 shutdowns
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Who is your Local Hero?
Identify and nominate our local heroes.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Startup Gippsland Funding to Launch Entrepreneurial Tech Program
$250,000 grant to allow Startup Gippsland to provide pre-accelerator programs targeting non-tech founders with tech-focused startups.
- Council’s Responsibilities during the Local Council Election Period
Council Election Caretaker Period from Tuesday 22 September to Saturday 24 October at 6pm.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- New Business Penalties and Rules raise concern
Strong penalties and rules that now apply for booking arrangements in Regional Victoria.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- Grants Available to Preserve Local History
Encouraging local historians to apply for a share in $350,000 to preserve,record and share history.
- Preserving Morwell’s Local History
Community groups across Victoria are being recognised for preserving, recording and sharing their community’s local history.
- New Agriculture Minister Will Have a Full Plate Over Summer
Lack of leadership on key challenges affecting farmers and regional communities.
- Eastern Victorian Businesses Going Digital for Covid Normal
Launch of the Victorian Government’s Small Business Digital Adaptation Program.
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- Council working to help Business Access Outdoor Dining Assistance
$87.5 million Outdoor Eating and Entertainment Package ready to assist local businesses.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Nominate and Celebrate your Local Heroes!
Do you know someone living in Bass Coast who regularly goes above and beyond, you can always rely on for help, or you admire for their contribution to the community?
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- VicHealth Funding Announced for Local Groups
Five organisations to share in more than $30,000 of VicHealth funding.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.