Latrobe Local News:
Eisteddfod receives Latrobe City Trust grant
The Latrobe City Trust sponsoring Junior Champion Brass Solo section, piano concerto and aria events at annual Latrobe Valley Eisteddfod
By Latrobe City Council - 3rd September 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
The Latrobe City Trust is again sponsoring the Junior Champion Brass Solo section, piano concerto and aria events at the annual Latrobe Valley Eisteddfod.
At a recent presentation held in the Little Theatre Traralgon, Latrobe City Trustee, Mr Ian Round, presented Latrobe Valley Eisteddfod representative, Mrs Marie Moulton, with a $1,100 cheque for the TK Lythgo Aria award, TK Lythgo Scholarship award, and WA Thompson Brass Award.
Mr Round said that sponsorship of the Eisteddfod by the Latrobe City Trust was only possible due to the philanthropy of the Lythgo family, Jean Griffiths and Marjorie Thompson.
"In 1982, the Lythgo family donated $5,000 to provide perpetual prize money for the piano concerto and aria events at the Latrobe Valley Eisteddfod. In 1999, Council resolved that this bequest which had grown significantly over the years, should be managed by the Latrobe City Trust," Mr Round said.
"The Trust’s involvement with the Eisteddfod was further expanded last year with a bequest from the Thompson family. The late Bert Thompson sponsored brass instrument and band sections of the Eisteddfod for many years, and following his death, his two daughters continued to sponsor the same events to ensure that Bert’s passion for that big band sound would live on. Their arrangement with the Trust now ensures that this is continued well into the future as the Trust will now provide annual sponsorship for the Junior Champion Brass Solo section of the Latrobe Valley Eisteddfod as well as maintaining the WA Thompson Cup which is played for by the C Grade Bands."
Latrobe City Mayor and Trustee, Cr Brendan Jenkins, said the Latrobe City Trust provided citizens with an avenue to positively influence the future of the community and to ensure that their own contribution was recognised in ensuing years.
"The Latrobe City Trust also manages the Eva West Memorial Fund, for the awarding of tertiary scholarship in accounting/business to female students at Traralgon Secondary School; the Charles Grout Fund for the purpose of developing a reserve in Traralgon; the MSE Williams Fund for children and youth welfare programs in the Latrobe Valley; and the Jean Galbraith Scholarship In Botany and Conservation Biology Fund which was established by the Trust last year with the intention of supporting Latrobe tertiary students majoring in areas broadly related to the scientific interests of the late Jean Galbraith," Cr Jenkins said.
"In addition to these funds, the Trust manages the Gambling Impact Fund, which provides support to community groups which provide alternative programs/activities for those affected by gambling; and the Athlete Assistance Fund to assist local athletes achieve their full potential. Community organisations and individuals should note that applications for financial assistance under either of these two funds are currently being invited and applications will be accepted up until 5pm on Friday, 14 September 2001," Cr Jenkins said.
The Latrobe City Trust is a fully registered charitable trust which is independent from the day to day operation of Latrobe City Council. It is managed by five Trustees made up of three community representatives, namely Mr Graham Gordon, Mrs Gloria Auchterlonie and Mr Ian Round, and two Council representatives, being the Mayor and the Chief Executive Officer. The Trust maintains its own separate bank account and its financial reports are prepared independently from Council. The Trust is a charitable trust and donations greater than $2 will be tax deductible. Further information about the Trust, or on making a donation or bequest, can be obtained from Mark Brady at Latrobe City Council on 1300 367 700.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Grants to Kickstart Multicultural Events
$3 million worth of community event grants for multicultural groups
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Community Grants Attract Record Applications
Numerous applications requesting over $285,000 in grant funding.
- Junior Landcare and Biodiversity Grants Now Open
Latest round of grant to protect the environment, now open.
- Domestic Wastewater Management
Public Draft of Latrobe City’s Domestic Wastewater Management Plan released.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Business Funding Boost
Government commits $50,000 to Latrobe City Council local business events program.
- Northe to Advocate for the Valley at Budget Time
Russell Northe to ensure the Latrobe Valley region is not ignored when it comes to investment and new jobs for the region.
- Van Driel Resignation
Chief Executive Officer of Latrobe City Council resigns.