• Add My News • Search Old News
Latrobe Local News:
Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
By Portal Admin - 3rd November 2019 - Back to News
The next important step in the greatly anticipated Latrobe Creative Precinct has occurred with excavation works commencing on site this week. This step marks visible progress on the project, which will change the creative arts landscape of Gippsland forever. The Latrobe Creative Precinct will continue to deliver significant benefit for current and future generations.
The Latrobe Creative Precinct compliments all the major developments across the municipality and confirms Latrobe City as Gippsland’s regional city. When operational the Latrobe Creative Precinct along with the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre, new major recreation infrastructure, major upgrades to Latrobe Regional Hospital and the Gippsland High Tech Precinct, will all contribute in making Latrobe City one of the most liveable regional centres in the entire state.
Gippsland based builder Becon Constructions who are excited to help deliver a memorable construction project locally, are in charge of the construction. The new project will be completed in the second half of 2021. During construction there will be 80 jobs that will be sourced with the majority from local contractors. Future operations of the new Precinct will require up to 20 ongoing positions.
The new precinct will include the following:
- A 750 seat theatre within a new performing arts centre;
- Multipurpose/Meeting rooms;
- 72 Underground carpark spaces;
- An indoor/outdoor café; and
- Two open air event spaces, one in the style of an amphitheatre
Once completed, the community will be able to see live performances in the new theatre with excellent facilities, utilise the new performance and meeting spaces, and attend outdoor events in the precinct’s external event spaces.
The project has been funded through collaboration between the Federal and State Governments, and Latrobe City Council. The total project cost is $38.5 million. Latrobe City Council’s investment will enable the Latrobe Creative Precinct to be another key economic driver to the region and enable the precinct to be another major community asset. The state and federal governments are each contributing $10 million and the remaining funding is provided by Council.
Council recognises that the project has taken longer to commence than many would have hoped, however ensuring that all of the community’s needs and expectations are met as well as delivering a financially sustainable project has taken time.
Quote from the Mayor
As Gippsland’s only regional City this project will confirm our presence in the arts community as a hub for cultural activity, driving visitation to the region and returning economic benefit for generations to come.
The project has taken some time to commence, however the community’s interest and support for the Creative Precinct has remained steadfast throughout. The visual representation of progress is pleasing for our community to see as the work up until now has been in the planning and preparation phases.
Excavation works have commenced at the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Works Underway on Gippsland Roads
Massive road maintenance blitz is underway across Gippsland for safer, smoother and stronger roads.
- Capital Works Projects Forging Ahead
Carpark renewal works at the Inverloch Boat Ramp and footpath renewals in Wonthaggi are underway.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Water Main Replacement Works - Lindenow
Work to commence next week to replace ageing water pipeline.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Turning Vacant Places to Local Creative Spaces in Eastern Victoria
Projects to develop new creative spaces under Regional Coworking Spaces and Creative Places program.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Nicholson Water Main Upgrade Works
On site work to commence at the main water supply pipeline in Nicholson.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Churchill United Service Station Finally Comes Down
Demolition works for old United service station in Churchill starts to roll.
- Regional Students on Track to Learn About Rail Safety
Safety workshop series on Rail Safety Week 2019.
- Sheepways Road Renewal Continues
Pavement renewal works along Sheepways Road is now underway.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.
- Black Spot Work Ready to Start
Road safety improvement works with Black Spot Program.