Latrobe Local News:
Keys to new Rose Garden amenities presented
New amenities have been constructed specifically for the growing number of Rose Garden visitors
By Latrobe City Council - 19th February 2002 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
The Morwell Centenary Rose Garden Steering Committee were presented with keys to new toilet amenities on Tuesday. The new amenities have been constructed in Ann Street at the south end of the Rose Garden, specifically for the growing number of Rose Garden visitors.
In handing over the keys, Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, said the need for suitable amenities for increasing numbers of visitors had been apparent for some years, and he was delighted that the facilities had now been provided.
"The Morwell Rose Garden attracts a large number of citizens from throughout the municipality who love the beautiful blooms and scents from the thousands of roses which are cared for by the Steering Committee. More importantly perhaps, numerous visitors come from throughout Victoria, interstate and even from overseas to experience the delights of our renowned Rose Garden. It is an important Australian destination for rose enthusiasts, and as such plays a significant part in enhancing the economic development of the region through tourism," Cr Jenkins said.
"Council is pleased to have been able to provide $30,000 towards the provision of these toilet amenities, which together with $20,000 from the Department of State and Regional Development has seen this project completed."
Chairperson of the Morwell Centenary Rose Garden Steering Committee, Jim Dear, said the provision of toilet facilities would enhance future use of the Rose Garden. "There is no doubt that the previous lack of facilities has been inconvenient to visitors, but it is also a limiting factor in organising events. That has now been overcome and we are very grateful to Council and the Department of State and Regional Development for making the funds available," Mr Dear said.
"The new facilities will make it easier for long-distance buses to use the Rose Garden as a comfort stop for bus passengers on their way through Gippsland, which means people who might not otherwise see the Rose Garden, will now get the opportunity. There are also some seventy helpers who undertake voluntary work to keep the Rose Garden looking great, and I’m sure they will find the new facilities a boon," Mr Dear said.
"The Morwell Centenary Rose Garden has grown from the days when a steering committee was formed in 1992, and an initial planting of thirteen-hundred roses, to a renowned garden and tourist attraction featuring four acres of gardens imaginatively landscaped, with one-hundred beds planted with three-thousand roses.
"We are very proud of the fact that the Rose Garden has been featured in overseas journals which are read world-wide by rose enthusiasts, and in numerous publications produced in and read throughout Australia. It has really put Morwell on the map in international terms.
"With the Morwell Celebration of Roses currently in the planning stage, and an exciting program of events being planned for this year’s celebrations which take place 18-24 March, I am sure the new amenities will be welcomed," Mr Dear added.
Councillor Darrell White said the Rose Garden added significantly to the attractiveness of Morwell. "It is close enough to the Morwell CBD for shoppers and business people to take a stroll and a lunch break in idyllic surroundings, and people throughout the Valley find it a delightful place to relax. It’s also a very popular venue for weddings and wedding photography," Cr White said.
"The Rose Garden together with the renovated Latrobe Regional Gallery due to open early next year, beautification and streetscaping works north of the railway line, the At grade crossing and the new Council corporate headquarters, will help make Morwell a highly attractive and thriving town with a great future," Cr White said.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Morwell Rose Garden Festival Funding
A $100,000 Federal Government funding to expand the Morwell Rose Garden Festival.
- New CEO appointed - Grants for Start-Ups - Workforce Planning
News updates, events, opportunities and activities in the Food & Fibre sector across Gippsland.
- New Carpet Can’t Paper over Cracks in V/Line’s Old Rolling Stock
New seat fabrics and carpet as improvement for V/line.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- New Era Kicks Off for Latrobe Valley Soccer
Newly installed FIFA accredited synthetic pitch at Gippsland Regional Centre.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- New Home for Gards Volunteers and Members
New home of GARDS in Moe, officially opened.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- New Wy Yung Water Storage
Preparations for a new 36 million litre water storage tank in Wy Yung.
- A New Look for Bass Coast Children’s Centre
A bright new learning space for Bass Coast Children’s Centre.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Collaborations for Gippsland’s Food and Fibre Sector
Gippsland’s food and fibre industry is set to continue its growth and market presence.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- New Indoor Baseball Training Facility for Local Clubs
All-weather baseball training facility now open!
- New Funding to Strengthen Disability Rights
Funding boost to strengthen disability rights.
- New Parks for Waterline Skaters
Construction of permanent Skate Parks, now underway.
- Morwell Rose Garden Theft
Theft of Roses at Morwell Rose Garden.
- Three new Labor taxes celebrate their third birthday
Labor taxes' anniversary.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Your Garden Counts In the War on Weeds
Weed ‘em and Reap program from 22 October to 26 November 2018.
- Funding Boost for Newborough’s Athletes
10 new multi-sport courts and a pavilion to be constructed.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Location Announced For New Morwell Fire Station
A new fire station in Morwell to boost to emergency services in the Latrobe Valley.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Labor’s False Claims Equal No New Trains for Country Victoria
No new trains for Victoria.
- Costa to Celebrate Community at Rose Garden Festival
Costa Georgiadis at Latrobe City Council’s Rose Garden Festival.
- Building Begins On New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access to more kindergarten places in Morwell.
- Gippsland Soccer Scores New Synthetic Field of Dreams
FIFA-accredited synthetic pitch for Gippsland Soccer.
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- San Remo Skaters Score New Skate Park
$650,000 new skate park for San Remo
- On The Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Expression of Interest (EOI) from experienced artists for a contemporary public artwork to be installed in the Bass Valley and Hinterland region.
- Bass Coast Welcomes New Citizens
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony
- Harold Hughes Reserve’s New look
New playground and skate park for everyone at Corinella’s Harold Hughes Reserve.
- Victorians Hooked on Fishing with New Custom Plates
Fishing-themed custom plate for fishing lovers.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Historic Shed in New Home
Coels Shed relocated to the Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL) community garden.
- Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Sale Showgrounds Open and Water Tower Redevelopment Happening
New amenities and recreation building at the Sale Showgrounds is now open.
- Gippsland, a Tourism Boom that Keeps Growing
New data showed 2018 as tourism industry's biggest year.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Armistice Street Theatre Performances to Recognise the End of World War I
New free street theatre performance to recognise the 100 year anniversary of the signing of the Armistice.
- Water Sector Signs Innovative Energy Deal
New energy partnership to minimise greenhouse gas emissions and maintain affordable water bills.
- Willow Grove Sporting Facility Upgrades Complete
New multi-purpose, female friendly match day pavilion at the Willow Grove Recreation Reserve.
- Capital Works Coming Up
New footpath in Wonthaggi and drainage improvements in San Remo and Inverloch this month.
- Preventing Family Violence with Women’s Health Services
New funding to teach people how to call out sexism and create gender equality policies.
- Extra Rehabilitation Beds for Victorian Youth
New youth residential rehabilitation facility to be established in Gippsland.
- Footpath and Bus Shelter on the Go
New footpath and bus shelter along Bayview Avenue in Inverloch this January.
- Pitch Perfect Start for Cricket Centre of Excellence
New Cricket Centre of Excellence at Ted Summerton Reserve now underway.
- Fodder transport subsidies
New South Wales fodder transport subsidy match in Victoria, wanted.
- Comment on Arts and Culture
New Strategy replaces the 2015-2019 Arts and Culture Plan
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Gippsland’s Leading Food and Fibre Organisations to Amalgamate
New entity supports Gippy food and fibre sectors
- Grantville Gets Information Upgrade
New information shelter works starting 29 March.
- The Nationals Announce Upper House Teams For Northern Victoria and Eastern Victoria
Two new candidates join existing Upper House members.
- Free Text Books for Secondary School Students
Promise of new free textbooks for secondary schoold students if the Nationals get elected.
- Have Your Say on Volunteering in Eastern Victoria
Share your experiences and ideas about community life and volunteering in the region.
- Building Upgrades at Wonthaggi Primary School
Important new works for the Wonthaggi Primary School soon!
- Greener Pastures for Traralgon Croquet Club
Sheen on new greens for Traralgon Croquet Club.
- Keeping Our Promises to Eastern Victoria Region
Local families will benefit from brand-new Baby Bundles, new and expanded School Breakfast Clubs and the next stage of our Solar homes program.