• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
By Portal Admin - 3rd March 2019 - Back to News
Member for Morwell Russell Northe has today in Parliament called on the Minister for Public Transport to abolish the unfair ticketing system that leaves Latrobe Valley families and students unfairly out of pocket.
"Despite asking two basic questions in Question Time for this issue to be resolved, it was extremely disappointing that the Minister failed to acknowledge the inequity that exists for Latrobe Valley students; however I will continue to fight for a fairer system and better services for local commuters" said Mr Northe
"Last year the Andrews Government by way of a media release announced that:
"A more affordable Regional Student Passes will also be available from term 1 next year, which will increase the discount for regional students to 50 per cent of the yearly cost of concession travel".
"But, I was disgusted to discover that the discounted travel rates for the newly announced Regional Student Pass for 2019, do not apply for our students in the Latrobe Valley", said Mr Northe.
The discounted Regional Student Pass is currently offered to the following Victorian areas;
Southwest (Warrnambool): $235 per year
Colac: $235 per year
Portland: $235 per year
Geelong: $333 per year
Ballarat: $333 per year
Bendigo: $235 per year
"I think it is grossly unfair that families of Latrobe Valley students do not have access to reduced fares like many other regional students. Latrobe Valley students only have access to the Victorian Pass, which costs $607.00 per year and this is simply injust", said Mr Northe.
"I have been contacted by many furious parents who have children travelling on the train (when they’re running, of course), from Morwell to Trafalgar for school, and the Victorian Pass – which has increased in cost in 2019 – means they are now paying more than ever, for sub-standard public transport", said Mr. Northe.
"Today, I’ve called upon the Minister, to fix the broken fare system that disadvantages Latrobe Valley students over other regional students, adhere to their commitment of "more affordable" student fares in 2019, and stop disadvantaging our students in Latrobe Valley, by allowing them to access the discounts awarded to holders of a Regional Students Pass".
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- Lowanna College Students to Live and Learn In India
Lowanna College to do travel immersion in India.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.