• Add My News • Search Old News
East Gippsland Local News:
New Wy Yung Water Storage
Preparations for a new 36 million litre water storage tank in Wy Yung.
By Portal Admin - 26th March 2019 - Back to News
East Gippsland Water is making preparations to construct a new 36 million litre water storage tank at its water storage facility in Wy Yung, to help maintain a high quality water supply to some 22,000 customers well into the future.
The enclosed tank – made from reinforced concrete with a steel roof - will be located within the footprint of an existing, disused, open storage basin on the site. Construction is expected to start towards the end of the year and be completed in 2021.
The open storage basin now and how the project might look on completion
Last month East Gippsland Water hosted an information session on-site. This provided an opportunity for adjacent residents to find out more about the project and discuss the scheduling of works, the potential impact of noise and vehicle traffic during the construction phase and landscaping of the site.
East Gippsland Water’s Managing Director, Steve McKenzie, said, "Following a careful assessment of various options, the decision has been made to construct the tank in reinforced concrete given the potential benefits in terms of a long service life, ease of maintenance and value for money.
"We appreciate the interest shown by nearby residents in this project and the feedback we have received so far, and we will be engaging with them further as preparations for construction are finalised and during the construction phase itself. A priority for everyone involved is to minimise any inconvenience to the local community.
"The storage facility at Wy Yung has a vital role to play in our largest water supply network, the Mitchell River system, with an existing 88 million litre covered storage basin in operation on the site. It is a key hub, feeding water to customers across the Bairnsdale area and a number of communities eastwards through to Nowa Nowa, including the larger commercial centres of Paynesville and Lakes Entrance.
"The aim is to maintain the long term efficiency and reliability of our Mitchell River Water Supply System, while taking into account forecasts for population growth and the increasing demands this will place on water services."
With this in mind, East Gippsland Water commenced a major program of works for the Wy Yung water storage facility in 2016 - to be carried out over some six years.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- New Parks for Waterline Skaters
Construction of permanent Skate Parks, now underway.
- New CEO appointed - Grants for Start-Ups - Workforce Planning
News updates, events, opportunities and activities in the Food & Fibre sector across Gippsland.
- New Carpet Can’t Paper over Cracks in V/Line’s Old Rolling Stock
New seat fabrics and carpet as improvement for V/line.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- New Era Kicks Off for Latrobe Valley Soccer
Newly installed FIFA accredited synthetic pitch at Gippsland Regional Centre.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- New Home for Gards Volunteers and Members
New home of GARDS in Moe, officially opened.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- A New Look for Bass Coast Children’s Centre
A bright new learning space for Bass Coast Children’s Centre.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Collaborations for Gippsland’s Food and Fibre Sector
Gippsland’s food and fibre industry is set to continue its growth and market presence.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- New Indoor Baseball Training Facility for Local Clubs
All-weather baseball training facility now open!
- New Funding to Strengthen Disability Rights
Funding boost to strengthen disability rights.
- Three new Labor taxes celebrate their third birthday
Labor taxes' anniversary.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Boosting Renewables and Cutting Energy Costs in Gippsland
Two Gippsland community groups shares in $1.1 million worth of grants for renewable energy projects.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Water Sector Signs Innovative Energy Deal
New energy partnership to minimise greenhouse gas emissions and maintain affordable water bills.
- Funding Boost for Newborough’s Athletes
10 new multi-sport courts and a pavilion to be constructed.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Location Announced For New Morwell Fire Station
A new fire station in Morwell to boost to emergency services in the Latrobe Valley.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Labor’s False Claims Equal No New Trains for Country Victoria
No new trains for Victoria.
- Water Main Replacement Works - West Bairnsdale
Water works to boost water reliability and quality.
- Water Main Realignment Works to Commence Shortly in Swan Reach
Realignment of water along Princes Highway at Swan Reach due to start Mid November.
- Building Begins On New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access to more kindergarten places in Morwell.
- Water Situation Update
No trigger yet for compulsory water restrictions.
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Gippsland Soccer Scores New Synthetic Field of Dreams
FIFA-accredited synthetic pitch for Gippsland Soccer.
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- Your Water Supply In A Bushfire
Consider water supply when planning for a bushfire.
- Boosting Water Services with Bumper Package of Engineering Projects
$6.3 million engineering projects to safeguard and enhance water services.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- San Remo Skaters Score New Skate Park
$650,000 new skate park for San Remo
- Sale Showgrounds Open and Water Tower Redevelopment Happening
New amenities and recreation building at the Sale Showgrounds is now open.
- On The Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Expression of Interest (EOI) from experienced artists for a contemporary public artwork to be installed in the Bass Valley and Hinterland region.
- Sarsfield Water Main Upgrade Works
Replacing and upgrading 4 kilometers of main water supply pipeline.
- Bass Coast Welcomes New Citizens
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony
- Keeping Water Bills Down
No increase to the average customer bill over the next 12 months.
- Harold Hughes Reserve’s New look
New playground and skate park for everyone at Corinella’s Harold Hughes Reserve.
- Victorians Hooked on Fishing with New Custom Plates
Fishing-themed custom plate for fishing lovers.
- Tourists Urged to Use Water Wisely over Easter
Please ensure they use water efficiently during their stay.
- Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
- Historic Shed in New Home
Coels Shed relocated to the Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL) community garden.
- East Gippsland Water grants
Get Those Applications In for an Environmental Grant
- Bass Coast Shire Council Appoints New CEO
Bass Coast Shire Council appointed Ali Wastie to serve as its new Chief Executive Officer.
- Rebates Helping Victorians Reduce Water Bills
Two innovative community rebate programs to reduce water bills.
- South Gippsland Connected to The State’s Water Grid
South Gippsland will be connected to the state’s water grid for the first time.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Armistice Street Theatre Performances to Recognise the End of World War I
New free street theatre performance to recognise the 100 year anniversary of the signing of the Armistice.
- Willow Grove Sporting Facility Upgrades Complete
New multi-purpose, female friendly match day pavilion at the Willow Grove Recreation Reserve.
- Capital Works Coming Up
New footpath in Wonthaggi and drainage improvements in San Remo and Inverloch this month.
- Preventing Family Violence with Women’s Health Services
New funding to teach people how to call out sexism and create gender equality policies.
- Extra Rehabilitation Beds for Victorian Youth
New youth residential rehabilitation facility to be established in Gippsland.
- Footpath and Bus Shelter on the Go
New footpath and bus shelter along Bayview Avenue in Inverloch this January.
- Pitch Perfect Start for Cricket Centre of Excellence
New Cricket Centre of Excellence at Ted Summerton Reserve now underway.
- Fodder transport subsidies
New South Wales fodder transport subsidy match in Victoria, wanted.
- Comment on Arts and Culture
New Strategy replaces the 2015-2019 Arts and Culture Plan
- Gippsland, a Tourism Boom that Keeps Growing
New data showed 2018 as tourism industry's biggest year.
- Mental Health Boost to Support Gippsland Recovery
New funding for fire-affected communities in Gippsland.
- Gippsland’s Leading Food and Fibre Organisations to Amalgamate
New entity supports Gippy food and fibre sectors
- Grantville Gets Information Upgrade
New information shelter works starting 29 March.
- The Nationals Announce Upper House Teams For Northern Victoria and Eastern Victoria
Two new candidates join existing Upper House members.
- Free Text Books for Secondary School Students
Promise of new free textbooks for secondary schoold students if the Nationals get elected.
- Building Upgrades at Wonthaggi Primary School
Important new works for the Wonthaggi Primary School soon!
- Greener Pastures for Traralgon Croquet Club
Sheen on new greens for Traralgon Croquet Club.
- Keeping Our Promises to Eastern Victoria Region
Local families will benefit from brand-new Baby Bundles, new and expanded School Breakfast Clubs and the next stage of our Solar homes program.
- Advocating for Two Priority Pools
$60 million wanted for two Aquatics projects: A new pool for Phillip Island and the redevelopment of the Bass Coast Aquatic Centre in Wonthaggi.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- No Action from Labor Leaves Victorian Farmers at A Disadvantage
As transport subsidies for drought-affected farmers in New South Wales starts, access to fodder supplies could get tighter for Victorian farmers.
- Project Enters Final Stage
Water Sensitive Urban Design project completion this February for Seagrove Estate in Cowes.