Gippsland › Latest news › Tim Bull MP
Outline of plan for security of saw log supply as timber crisis approaches needed from Andrews Labor government
The Andrews Labor government needs to outline its plans to secure saw log supply to East Gippsland's mills, which are approaching crisis time with lack access to timber supplies.
Nationals MP for Gippsland East, Tim Bull, said the government had contractual obligations to provide timber to these mills and it was not good enough that there was no security around supply and no communication on what was being done to address it. "Over recent weeks we have heard from mills in Bairnsdale and Orbost who are facing the prospect of their operations grinding to a halt and with the jobs involved, that would be devastating economically to the community."
Mr Bull has asked the Minister to outline how many mills are facing this crisis of no certainty around supply and what is being done to address it
Mr Bull said, "The ridiculousness of all this is that our timber industry has access to just 5% of our native forest, the other 95% is either in reserve or inaccessible. That 95% is harvested on an 80-year rotation meaning each year the amount is 0.04 percent. When you listen to some of the outcry from green groups you would think the countryside is being pillaged, but it is 0.04% per year."
"This government needs to take a stronger line, open up more areas and ensure the timber industry has a sustainable supply to secure these local jobs and income for local families." Mr Bull has asked the Minister to outline how many mills are facing this crisis of no certainty around supply and what is being done to address it.
Pictures from Tim Bull MP website.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Latest NewsCrossbench federal MPs urged to visit Gippsland timber towns to learn of Victorian government ignorance and hypocrisy first hand
Motor Neurone Disease has Big Freeze fundraiser at Bairnsdale Oval with Darren Chester 10 June 2023
Ella Fothergill and Chloe Bethune from Federation University Gippsland win Gippsland Water Indigenous Scholarship
Gippsland road maintenance slashed by 25% for total reduction of 45% since 2020 by Andrews Labor government
Review of utilities resilience for blackout prevention and emergency response times demanded by Danny O'Brien
South Gippsland wins Corporate & Community Planning award at LGPro COnference on 24 May 2023 and more updates
World Milk Day celebrated by Southern Rural Water on 1 June 2023
Yiayia Next Door Community Healing Event for local community at Moe Library on 13 June 2023
Baw Baw Shire 2023 Community Satisfaction Survey program commences 1 June sampling resident feedback by phone
El Nino watch issued by Bureau of Meteorology signalling potential for drier winter despite recent rainfall in May 2023