Latrobe Local News:
Verdi’s Il Trovatore opera to feature in Latrobe
In a first for the region, fresh from the Melbourne Opera Season, Verdi’s Il Trovatore will be performed live at the Latrobe Regional Performing Arts Centre
By Latrobe City Council - 2nd November 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
In a first for the region, fresh from the Melbourne Opera Season, Verdi’s Il Trovatore will be performed live at the Latrobe Regional Performing Arts Centre in Traralgon on Saturday 24 November.
The Gippsland performance, first mooted by the Italian-Australian Coordinating Committee of Gippsland, and sponsored by Latrobe City Council and Federation Health, will feature a cast of 82 and a 32 piece live orchestra.
Il Trovatore (The Troubadour) is set in Spain, a love triangle surrounded in gypsy madness, plagued by the curses of witches and impassioned by the fervid jealousy of revenge. Il Trovatore is a tale that grabs you by the throat and drags you down the dark castled stairways of human emotions. This is opera at its best, featuring passionate and memorable arias such as Di quella pira, Miserere and the rousing Anvil Chorus.
The plot of Il Trovatore features two brothers separated in infancy, who become trapped by their past in a deadly contest neither will win. The jealous Count di Luna yearns for the lovely Leonora, but her heart belongs to Manrico, the warrior troubadour. Manrico must fight the Count for the woman he loves. Unknowingly, the two men are playing the final acts of a game of revenge, not of their making.
Secretary of the Italian-Australian Coordinating Committee of Gippsland, Damian Tripodi, said facilitating a performance of Verdi’s opera in Traralgon was the highlight of the group’s work during what had been a phenomenal year.
"While we provide support for the local Italian community through education projects and catering for the needs of the aged, we have instigated a number of projects aimed at sharing Italian culture with the wider community, such as art exhibitions and musical performances such as classical guitar. Bringing Il Trovatore to the Latrobe Valley would have to be one of our greatest achievements though," Mr Tripodi said.
"Giorgio Campanaro, Director of the Italian Institute of Culture, approached our Italian-Australian Coordinating Committee. As 2001 marks the centenary of the death of Giuseppi Verdi, he suggesting Verdi could be performed in Gippsland. He put us in touch with Dr Joseph Talia founder and managing director of the Melbourne City Opera, and the idea for a performance in Latrobe City was greeted enthusiastically. We are fortunate that Latrobe City Council and Federation Health were prepared to provide sponsorship for the performance," Mr Tripodi said.
Latrobe City Mayor, Councillor Brendan Jenkins, said Verdi’s works were loved by audiences world-wide. "La Traviata, Aida, Othello and Il Trovatore are fabulous operas, full of drama and sensational music that makes the spine tingle," Cr Jenkins said.
"Latrobe City is fortunate to be hosting a performance of Verdi’s work, and the fact that citizens will be able to enjoy a first class production from the Melbourne City Opera chorus and orchestra, at a fraction the cost of a city performance, is a wonderful opportunity for the community," Cr Jenkins said.
The performance of Il Trovatore at the Latrobe Regional Performing Arts Centre will feature international artists Armando Krieger, Raffaele Vitagliano, Lucia Gaete and Susan Braatvedt, with Ian Cousins, Lucio Coceani, Ian Built, Lior Michelle and Lynlee Williams. Tickets are $35 per head and are available at Ce’ La Vie Menswear MidValley and Traralgon, and Monacellas Wine and Spirits, Church Street Morwell.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe City Council Joins Small Business Support Scheme
Latrobe City joins Small Business Friendly Council initiative.
- Latrobe – Gippsland’s Unemployment Rate Continues to Fall
Latrobe-Gippsland's conquering unemployment.
- Latrobe Valley’s Nurses, Doctors and Paramedics Rise to the Challenge
Busy flu season for Latrobe Valley health care providers.
- Latrobe – Gippsland’s Unemployment Rate at Record Low
We have a record low 3.2% regional unemployment in Latrobe-Gippsland says Australian Bureau of Statistics data.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Valley Power Stations
Possible early closure of Latrobe Valley Power Stations
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe City Draft Cultural Diversity Action Plan 2019 – 2023
Draft to focus to continue to improve services and information that are inclusive of people from diverse backgrounds.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Infrastructure Barriers to Latrobe City Investment and Jobs
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Designs Released For Latrobe Valley Govhub
Artist impressions of the $30 million GovHub, released.
- New Era Kicks Off for Latrobe Valley Soccer
Newly installed FIFA accredited synthetic pitch at Gippsland Regional Centre.
- Good Chef, Bad Chef to Feature at Sister Cities Festival
‘Good Chef’ Rosie to cook at Latrobe City Council’s Sister Cities Festival on Friday 9 November at the Moe Botanical Gardens.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- First 1000 Days Project
First 1000 Days Project aims to promote strong cultural connections.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- First Steps for Victoria’s Free Baby Bundle
Free Baby Bundles for first-time parents.
- Delivering Jobs for The Latrobe Valley
Businesses encouraged to register their interest.
- First Businesses Sign on to Grow Gippsland Economy
GROW Compact committed their business to increasing local spend in Gippsland.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- Regional Skate Park Plans Shift
Expert's opinion on the Regional Skate Park and Playspace.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Developing an Aquaculture Industry in Latrobe Valley
Andrews Labor Government partners with a premium barramundi supplier to start aquaculture facility in Latrobe.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre Construction Ramps Up
Construction of Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre begins.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Dedicated Regional Fund Must Continue
1 billion of investment to Regional Victoria to expire on June 30.
- Minister, Labor’s Regional Cuts Are Nothing to be ‘Proud’ of
Minister was proud in cutting the Regional Growth Fund.
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- No Plan, No Money for Regional Victoria Under Labor
Premier blows the budget on metro projects, but no plans for Regional Victoria.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.
- Putting the Hill End Community First In Baw Baw Shire
Andrews Labor Government heeds Hill End community to retain the iconic Hill End Primary School for community use.
- Liberal Nationals to Invest in Regional Victoria’s Future Leaders
More support and a funding boost promise if a Liberal Nationals Government is elected at November’s State Election.
- High-Speed Regional Rail
Peter Walsh's letter to the editor.