• Add My News • Search Old News
Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
By Portal Admin - 11th November 2018 - Back to News
At its Special Council Meeting on 1 November 2017 Latrobe City Council elected Councillor Graeme Middlemiss to the position of Mayor.
Cr Darren Howe was elected as Deputy Mayor.
Mayor Middlemiss has continuously served the Latrobe City community since he was first elected as a Councillor in March 1997. He comes into the role as an experienced Mayor having held the position in 2003/2004.
He says, "The role of Mayor is to amplify the voice of Council and the community, to ensure we are heard.
Now half way through its term Mayor Middlemiss says, "There is much we plan to accomplish and it revolves around our continuing strategic focus on increasing prosperity and improving liveability.
"We are building the kind of place where people work and are supported with the kinds of services, assets and infrastructure they need to enjoy living here—to thrive, not just exist.
"We are Gippsland’s Regional City and it is my privilege and pleasure to continue to serve this community."
Cr Graeme Middlemiss at his desk
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Bass Coast Shire Council Mayor and Deputy Mayor Elections
Cr Brett Tessari gets re-elected as Mayor and Cr Geoff Ellis was elected Deputy Mayor for the 2019/20 term.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Council’s Work Awarded
Bass Coast Shire Council received two national awards.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Council Picks Up Silver at Tourism Awards
2019 Tourism Awards
- Council Supports Marine Park plan
Development for Bass Coast Marine and Coastal Park gets supported.
- Council Adds Third Offset Site
Third Native Vegetation Offset site to establish at The Gurdies.
- Council Supports Rates Review
Rates review supported to improve fairness and equity for all ratepayers.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 5 August
Below is a snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 5 August 2019. For full details of the Council Meeting, please see the Council Meeting Minutes available on the Council website on Thursday 8 August 2019.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Monday Night's Council Meeting Round-Up: 7 October
A snapshot of some of the decisions made by Council at its Ordinary Meeting on Monday 7 October
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Improved Way to Communicate with Council – It’s as Easy as ‘Snap’
‘Snap Send Solve’ phone app to make sending feedback for community members easier.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Newhaven Skate Park Project to Progress
Bass Coast Shire Council voted to authorise Grayden’s Reserve in Newhaven as the preferred site for the Regional Skate Park and Playspace Project last Wednesday.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- New Technology Boosting Safety in Nar Nar Goon
New technology installed at a high-risk intersection near Nar Nar Goon, for easier and safer turning to the Princes Highway.
- New Playspace for Warragul Worth its Weight in Marbles
Brand new play equipment for students at Warragul North Primary School with Pick My Project initiative.
- New Island Off-Leash Beaches Introduced
New off-leash beach areas in San Remo, Cape Woolamai, Cowes West and Ventnor will be introduced by 1 December 2019 in time for summer.
- New Bills Introduced into Victorian Parliament Last Week
Three new bills introduced into Parliament this week.
- Garden Competition
Latrobe City Council’s annual garden competition now open.
- A New Jobs and Volunteering Hub for Gippsland
New job opportunities for Gippsland locals with new job hub.
- A New Chairperson Appointed and Lots More!
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- New Home Found for PICAL
A vacant block of land that forms part of what is locally known as the ‘Old Warley Hospital’ site on Warley Avenue in Cowes will be the future home of Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL).
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Work starts on new 36 million litre water storage tank at Wy Yung
Construction of a new 36 million litre water storage tank at East Gippsland Water's Wy Yung water storage facility.
- Are You Ready To Get All Revved Up?
Latrobe City’s inaugural motorsport celebration event - Latrobe Motorfest.
- An Exciting New Era for Morwell Maternal and Child Health Services
Morwell Maternal and Child Health relocation.
- Taking Bass Coast to the City
Collaboration and sharing with councillors and staff from City of Melbourne.
- Connecting the New College Campus
Traffic management plan for 2020 being worked on by Bass Coast Shire Council, Wonthaggi Secondary College and the Bass Coast Specialist School.
- Download your New Bin Collection Calendar Now
2019/20 bin collection calendars are now available for download.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.
- Putting Out the Call for a New Kind of Art
Bass Coast Shire Council calls for expressions of interest for 2019/20 project.
- West Gippsland Healthcare Group Celebrates Completion of New Short Stay Unit and Third Operating Theatre
newly completed Short Stay Unit and third Operating Theatre at West Gippsland Hospital
- Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches
Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches come December 1.
- Cricket Fans are Padding Up for an Exciting New Innings in Gippsland Cricket
New home for Gippsland cricket at state-of-the-art facility at the Ted Summerton Reserve.
- Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.
- State Government Regulations for Private Pools and Spas
New regulations require council residents who own a private swimming pool or spa to register them with Council by 1 June 2020.
- Land purchased for Phillip Island Transfer Station
Bass Coast Shire Council has purchased land on Back Beach Road in Phillip Island for the new Phillip Island Transfer Station and Council Depot.
- Stopping Illegal Vegetation Removal
Council prevents removal and damage of native vegetation.
- Mecwacare Announced as New Provider
Mecwacare chosen by both the State and Federal governments as the provider of Aged and Disability Services and Assessment Services for the Bass Coast Shire and will start servicing Bass Coast clients from January 2020.
- Seeking Funding For Recreation Projects
Bass Coast Shire Council will apply for up to $1.7 million in funding from Sport and Recreation Victoria, to complete projects in Wonthaggi and Dalyston, worth a combined $3.885 million.
- Climate Action Starts Here
Bass Coast Shire Council has declared a climate emergency and is committed to developing a Climate Change Action Plan for 2020-2030.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.