• Add My News • Search Old News
Russel Northe MLA:
Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
By Portal Admin - 12th November 2018 - Back to News
Each year thousands of people, international and domestic, travel through Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley, bringing $123 million to the local economy (ref) est. Identifying that this tourism provides great economic benefits for small and rural towns and communities, Member for Morwell Russell Northe has today unveiled his Policy Initiative that seeks to implement a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in the Latrobe Valley with the township of Yinnar being an option for a proposed site.
"The RV is a massive and growing industry, yet Latrobe City businesses and communities are currently missing out on this tourism spend. With the future of Hazelwood Pondage under real threat, campers and those using the Hazelwood Pondage caravan park will have limited options in the future," said Mr Northe.
$1 million was allocated by the State Government nearly 8 years ago to upgrade infrastructure and amenities at Hazelwood Pondage, but this money has never been spent and it is now unlikely to ever be utilised for its initial intended purpose. Surely this money can be re-allocated for the purposes of building an RV stopover in Latrobe City.
"Given the economic impact that the closure of Hazelwood Pondage is having upon the Yinnar business community, the notion of establishing an RV stopover in or near Yinnar could enable the township to capitalise on Latrobe’s strong tourism sector and opportunities to expand the local offer", Mr Northe said. "This would provide the Yinnar economy with greater opportunities for growth and sustainability which is fitting for a small community who have worked tirelessly to develop their township into a welcoming area for visitors".
The Yinnar and District Community Association (YDCA) have been working hard and exploring options for this investment to advance the town’s economic development opportunities for some time, and have been strengthening Yinnar’s offer to visitors. This includes implementing a community bus, beautification of the Main Street, development of a skate path, a town website, successful cafe’s, the February Fiddlehead Festival, the Railway Goods Shed Museum, an outdoor play area with public toilets and the establishment of the Arts Resource Collective (ARC) and Gallery - including an artist in residence program.
For many years, an RV stopover based in Rosedale has long been a thriving hub for travellers in the small town, and regularly brings many visitors subsequently boosting the local economy. The Wellington Shire also enjoy new RV facilities in Heyfield. "In my view, it is a crying shame that Latrobe City is unable to offer any complimentary and adequate RV stopovers, too", Mr Northe said, "this should - and must – change’.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Northe calls for VRET Analysis for the Valley
Calls to the Minister for Energy clarify how the Governments Victorian Renewable Energy Target will impact communities.
- Northe Calls for Local Funding Budget Considerations
Requests for additional support and meaningful investment for local community groups, organisations and projects that would build local infrastructure and create local jobs.
- Northe Calls for Promised LV Ambulance Services
Little information available starting date for Morwell and Moe ambulance stations.
- Northe Calls for VRET Bill to be Delayed
Request on delay for the debate of the Renewable Energy (Jobs and Investment) Amendment Bill 2019.
- Northe Calls for SEA Electric Update
Questions on Sea Electric raised.
- Northe Tips Hat to Local Legends and Leaders
Northe salutes local legends and leaders.
- Northe’s Tribute to CFA Personnel
Northe expressed deep respect and appreciation of the local Country Fire Authority (CFA) brigades and its members.
- Northe seeks Premier’s Support of Local Quarry Industry
Support sought for ongoing issues that prevents the Latrobe Valley (LV) Quarry industry from achieving their potential.
- Northe Furious as Premier Takes Axe to Timber Industry
Premier axed the timber industry. Timber now need to be imported from other jurisdictions who don’t have the same stringent forestry standards that exist in Victoria.
- Northe Shares Concerns Over Timber Industry Shutdown
Massive impact upon local employment and our local economy predicted as timber industry closes.
- Northe Tables Petition Calling for Fire Track Action
Petition to ensure access to local fire emergency are adequately maintained and accessible to first responders.
- Northe Supports Suicide Prevention Programs
Full support to mental health and suicide prevention programs.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Calls for Further Assistance to Support our Bushfire-Affected Farmers
Calls for assistance to communities enduring the devastation of horrific bushfires in East Gippsland and north-east Victoria.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- Something Fishy about Gov support - Northe
Calls for support for stakeholders impacted by Hazelwood Pondage closure.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.