• Add My News • Search Old News
The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
By Portal Admin - 5th November 2018 - Back to News
Work to lift school literacy and numeracy standards must take place in the early years, not VCE level, The Nationals candidate for Morwell, Sheridan Bond has said.
Trying to improve literacy and numeracy standards at VCE level is completely misguided and completely at the wrong end of the education process, but that’s exactly the plan announced by Daniel Andrews this week.
Sheridan Bond said by Year 12, students were focussed on preparing to leave school, enter further study or enter the workforce.
"Under Daniel Andrews’ plan, they will be identifying students with learning problems at the end of their schooling, not at the beginning," Ms Bond said.
"A better approach is to teach and test children to read and write in the early years and throughout their primary education, so they have a strong foundation in literacy and numeracy from the very beginning that carries them through to VCE."
Despite receiving billions of dollars extra for education, Daniel Andrews has lost control of school standards and outcomes.
A Liberal Nationals Government will make sure the youngest Victorians have a brighter future, investing in better schools and early learning and establishing programs to give our children a strong foundation for primary, secondary and tertiary education.
This includes a Phonics Test in Year 1, to check that our children are building a foundation for lifelong learning.
"Trying to improve literacy and numeracy standards at VCE level is simply too little, too late and adds further pressure to children studying for their VCE. The last thing they need is more tests at during the final stages of their secondary education," Ms Bond said.
"If elected, we’ll establish the $80 million Brighter Futures Fund to lift education opportunities in rural and regional communities through better support for parents and children in the early years of schooling.
"We’ll also invest in early language and literacy programs with a $16 million grants program to give our most vulnerable young Victorians a helping hand before they start school.
"Only The Nationals in government will provide children with a brighter future by investing early learning and lifting literacy and numeracy standards for primary school students."
Results of the most recent Australian Early Development Census show 15 of Victoria’s 20 worst performing LGAs for early childhood education are in rural and regional Victoria.
The $80 million Fund will be invested in integrated education hubs – a one-stop-shop for allied health, early childhood, maternal and child health services, and tertiary education.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- The Nationals supporting headspace to better support young Gippslanders
Nationals aim to provide young Gippslanders access to the mental health services they need – regardless of where they live.
- The Nationals Commit To Billion Dollar Road Fix Blitz
Nationals to fix country roads with a $1 billion Road Fix Blitz.
- Liberal Nationals to Invest in Regional Victoria’s Future Leaders
More support and a funding boost promise if a Liberal Nationals Government is elected at November’s State Election.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Liberal Nationals Improving Food Security for Vulnerable People in Morwell
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to address the growing issue of food insecurity in the Latrobe Valley and Gippsland.
- Liberal Nationals will back the Yallourn Yallourn North Football Netball Club
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to ensure a $470,000 upgrade facilities at George Bates Reserve.
- Liberal Nationals to Boost Language and Literacy for Vulnerable Kids
Elected Liberal Nationals Government will target early language and literacy programs.
- Liberal Nationals’ plan to drive growth in Victorian agriculture
Liberal Nationals Government will grow Victoria’s agriculture and food industries if elected this
- The Nationals Announce Upper House Teams For Northern Victoria and Eastern Victoria
Two new candidates join existing Upper House members.
- Liberal Nationals Will Finish Duplication of Princes Hwy
Elected Liberal Nationals government to finish the duplication of the Princes Highway between Traralgon and Sale.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Liberal Nationals to Make Rates Fair for Farmers
Elected Liberal Nationals Government will take actions to make rates fair for farmers.
- Liberal Nationals Back Scouts and Guides
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to support the rich tradition of Scouts and Guides.
- Liberal Nationals Establish Inquiry to Fix Farm Trespass Laws
Pressure to establish an inquiry into farm trespass laws.
- Liberal Nationals backing Churchill Football Netball Club
$1 million state-of-the-art upgrade for Churchill Football Netball Club.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Building the Best School Facilities for Warragul
Bright and modern facilities with the opening of GLA building at St. Paul's Anglican Grammar School.
- Building Upgrades at Wonthaggi Primary School
Important new works for the Wonthaggi Primary School soon!
- Building on the Men’s Shed Community in Toongabbie
Toongabbie & District Men’s Shed extension opens today!
- Building a Community Hospital on Phillip Island
Re-elected Andrews Labor Government to deliver the Phillip Island Community Hospital in Cowes.
- Building Begins On New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access to more kindergarten places in Morwell.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Federal Liberal Nationals delivering for Regional Victoria
Investments for safer country roads, reliable regional rail and better rural health for Regional Victorians.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Helping More Young Victorians Learn To Drive
Support for young Victorian student drivers.
- Young Leaders Celebrate Community
Students in the 2019 Bass Coast Young Leader program parcipates in a workshop to celebrate their community.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- More Rehab Beds for Young Victorians
More support for young regional Victorians with a new youth residential rehab facility.
- Helping Victorians Start Their Own Business
Back up for Victorians who want to start their own business.
- Farmers’ Market Support Program to return: only under Liberal Nationals
An elected Liberal Nationals Government plans to bring back the Farmers’ Market Support
Program axed by Labor.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Country Victoria set for $30 million connectivity boost under the Liberal Nationals
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to invest $30 million to boost mobile connectivity across rural and regional Victoria.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- Rebates Helping Victorians Reduce Water Bills
Two innovative community rebate programs to reduce water bills.
- Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
- Country Race Clubs Will Be Winners under Liberal Nationals
Grassroots country racing clubs gets share of industry funding.
- 2019 Bass Coast Australia Day Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year Awards
2019 Bass Coast Australia Day Citizen and Young Citizen of the Year Awards
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.