Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe City Advocates for Additional COVID-19 Testing Resources
Additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays requested.
By Portal Admin - 17th August 2020 - Back to News
Latrobe City Council Mayor, Councillor Dan Clancey has taken the proactive measure of writing to the Victorian Health Minister to advocate for additional COVID testing resources to assist in reducing the lengthy delays currently experienced.
Acknowledging the regions positive case numbers are lower than other regional cities such as Geelong and Bendigo, Cr Clancey expressed concern that access to immediate testing was not possible.
"In the past few days the numbers of confirmed cases have increased significantly across Latrobe City, this of course is naturally concerning for our community," Cr Clancey said.
"This is a time of heightened anxiety for all. With access to testing limited, this leads to further frustration and concern.
Community members report having to wait several days for an appointment, confusing booking processes and misleading information about testing sites.
"We understand that resources are stretched across Victoria. We are not asking for an additional testing site, we recognize that with our numbers of positive cases that is unlikely. What I have asked the Minister to explore is the possibility for additional resources to afford our community the ability to access testing services in a timely manner."
The matter of limited testing capacity has already been raised by Latrobe City Council with the Department of Health and Human Services. As part of its advocacy work, Council will also raise this matter in its submission to the Victorian Parliamentary Inquiry into COVID-19
Cr Clancey said that Council was ready and willing to continue to work with the Department of Health and Human Services.
"We are hopeful the Minister will respond to our urgent call for help and that resources will be forthcoming. We are ready to work with government and the department to optimise the health and wellbeing of our community during these unprecedented times.
"The increase in positive case numbers have reinforced that this hidden enemy is out there in our community. Hearing reports that employees are attending work, despite symptoms, and the general anxiety in the community about accessible testing is why I will continue to advocate for additional resources," he said.
As regional Victorians adjusted to the compulsory introduction of face coverings and a return to Stage 3 restrictions, Cr Clancey commended the adherence the community of Latrobe City had shown, noting it would go a long way in stopping the spread.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Latrobe City Releases Draft Investment Roadmap for Comment
Latrobe City Investment Roadmap - ready for public comment.
- Latrobe City Council named an Employer of Choice
Latrobe City Council, recognised as an Employer of Choice in The Australian Business Awards 2020.
- Latrobe City Council calls for health improvements for Morwell
City council’s call for action to improve and protect the community’s health.
- Latrobe City Libraries Sensitive Santa Sessions embraced by Community
Quiet, gentle introduction to Santa for children with sensory needs.
- Latrobe City Council supports hydrogen industry
Council project that would help support in the city’s economy.
- Latrobe City Gift Card set to Bolster Local Business
Shop local - your buck stops here.
- Latrobe City’s Australia Day Award Winners Announced
Awards presented in recognition of significant service to the community.
- Council advocates for Latrobe City in Canberra
City needs support to overcome the loss of jobs and business impacts of energy station early closure.
- Covid-19 Testing in Latrobe Needs Ramping up
Drive through and mobile testing options within the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Latrobe Valley Schools Share in $6.59 Million Maintenance Funds Boost
108 schools across Latrobe Valley to benefit from maintenance works carried out at their school.
- Latrobe Valley Receives Vital Recovery Funding
Chambers of Commerce and Trader Groups provide critical advice, connections and resources to businesses in the Latrobe Valley and these grants will be crucial in helping them to support members’ transition to COVID Normal.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Latrobe Performing Arts Center - What's on in April 2021
Series of wonderful and fun-filled event for the whole family.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Latrobe Regional Gallery - What's on in April 2021
Community’s response to Da Vinci and his machines.
- Latrobe health ready for vaccine rollout
People at high risk will be prioritised and be provided with safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine.
- Latrobe funding helps Bass Coast businesses grow
Grants available for small local businesses, applications are now being accepted.
- Announcement of New Latrobe City Councillors
New-look Latrobe City Council.
- 2021 Latrobe Regional Galley new exhibitions
A fun and wonderful way to spend time with the family while expanding our creativity through art.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- Kinders in the Latrobe Valley Get Tech Savvy with New Gear
$1.1 million in technology grants for kindergartens.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Helping Baw Baw and Latrobe Prepare for Emergencies
City Council to receive funding to get ready for emergencies
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Labor Giving City Projects a Leg Up, but Forcing Country Communities to their Knees
Tangled red and green tape makes it too difficult for people to develop in regional Victoria.
- Council secures additional outdoor dining funds
Additional funds granted to support the local businesses.
- More Testing Facilities Needed in Latrobe
Enhanced testing capacities in the Latrobe Valley urged.
- Program to Reconnect the Latrobe Valley with Jobs
Latrobe Valley people to receive help to re-join the workforce in a $47 million Reconnect expansion program.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Supporting Early Stage Latrobe Valley Businesses
Over $1.9 million in funding from the Business and Industry Capability Fund to support early stage businesses in the Latrobe Valley.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Strong Advocates for Bass Coast
PUGRC estimates that by 2031, peri urban councils will grow by an average of 45 per cent.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Da Vinci exhibition opens at Latrobe Regional Gallery
An event to witness the works of Leonardo Da Vinci, the world’s greatest mind.
- Bush Crew beautifies Latrobe City
Workers found new employment after losing their jobs during the pandemic through beautification of Latrobe City.
- Traralgon Renewable Energy Project Supported by Latrobe City Council
Renewable energy project at Traralgon Neighbourhood Learning House.
- Aquatic centre access a win for Latrobe Leisure members
Leisure members to have complementary access on GRAC according to membership classification.
- Building & Improving Kindergartens in the Latrobe Valley for the Future
Victoria rolls out funded universal Three-Year-Old Kindergarten.
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Driver Testing Finally Moving Forward
Clarity welcomed in regards to driver licence testing arrangements for local drivers.
- New Energy and Growth Program for the Latrobe Valley
Latrobe Valley Energy and Growth Program (LVEGP) is now open for applications.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Licence Testing Concerns Continue
Long delays in sitting learners hazard perception test or going for their probationary drivers’ licence.
- Driver Testing Resumes
Driver licence and learner permit testing will resume from today.
- COVID Restriction Inconsistencies Raised
Inconsistencies and confusion with respect to current COVID-19 rules and restrictions.
- COVID lockdowns leave Victorian kids' mental health worse than any other state, study finds
Lockdown effects on young Victorian’s mental health.
- COVID Small Steps Forward
Optimism and disappointment with announcement of easing of COVID-19 restrictions.
- COVID Pandemic to Impact Seasonal Workforce
A workable solution must be found before farmers put the for sale sign on the front gate.
- Northe Licence Testing Backlog Continues
Driver licence testing still pending.
- Supporting Our Music Industry in the Latrobe Valley
Survival grants for local live music venues and new grants to protect music jobs on stage.
- Early Works Underway for Car Parks in the Latrobe Valley
Tests underway to determine feasibility of the eight preferred sites in Moe, Morwell and Traralgon.
- New mental health jobs and support for the Latrobe Valley
Postgraduate nurses for mental health scholarship being appreciated.
- Statement on COVID Restrictions for Regional Victoria
Regional Victoria re-entering Stage 3 COVID restrictions this week.
- Local Choir Creates Connection and Celebration across Latrobe Valley
Inventive virtual choir promoting social connection and fun through music in the Latrobe Valley.
- New Regional COVID Rules a Mixed Bag
Mixed views on COVID-19 restrictions for Regional Victorians.
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- Plan for COVID recovery
Government to adopt a plan for COVID-19 recovery.
- Dancers in the Running for National Award
Latrobe City dancers has made the finals of the Australian Dance Awards.
- Nominate a Top Senior
Latrobe City Senior Citizen of the Year award, now open for nominations.
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- Supporting Small-Scale School Building Projects in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Important upgrades to Victorian schools.
- Northe Highlights COVID Concerns
Concerns raised relating to the State Government’s COVID-19 Omnibus (Emergency Measures) and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2020.
- Volunteers to Offer Disaster Relief
Volunteers are helping Latrobe City recover from the impacts of the bushfire.
- Interstate interest in author talk
A Zoom presentation of the Latrobe City Libraries with author Heather Morris.
- Northe Calls for Greater COVID Compassion
Interstate travel exemption process applicable to persons seeking to say goodbye to a loved one or attend a funeral urged.