• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Upgraded Labtrobe Valley Sports Facilities on their Way
Work starts in building Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium transformation.
By Portal Admin - 2nd April 2019 - Back to News
Work is now underway to build the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre (GRAC) and transform the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium, thanks to the Andrews Labor Government.
Minister for Regional Development Jaclyn Symes joined Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing in Traralgon to announce the start of works at the site of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre redevelopment.
The Labor Government has invested $63 million in the aquatic centre and indoor sports stadium projects, as part of the $85 million Latrobe Valley Sports and Community Initiative (LVSCI).
The Aquatic Centre will include a 50-metre competition pool with spectator seating, a 25-metre outdoor pool, warm water pool, indoor water play areas, water slides, gym, geothermal heating and a wellness centre.
The Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium will be expanded to include additional courts for netball, basketball, badminton and other indoor sports, allowing it to host large-scale events.
More LVSCI major recreation project upgrades are underway across the Latrobe Valley, including the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, and several community reserves.
The construction blitz is creating local jobs, with up to 120 workers expected to be on site at the peak of the GRAC building cycle, plus an anticipated 275 ongoing operational and support roles at the completed facilities.
Discussions with local sub-contractors are taking place and the Industry Capability Network and GROW Gippsland have been engaged to ensure maximum opportunity for local work on these projects.
As designated Victorian Industry Participation Policy initiatives, both the aquatic centre and the indoor sports stadium projects will use 90 per cent local content.
Construction of the aquatic centre and the indoor sport stadium is expected to be completed by 2020.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Regional Development Jaclyn Symes
"We’re ensuring the Latrobe Valley community has access to world class sporting facilities in their own backyard."
"The state-of-the-art aquatic centre and indoor sport stadium will provide benefits to the region for generations to come."
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"This state of the art Aquatic Centre will be a huge boost for local pride, competition and liveability in the Valley and it’s just one part of our record investment across the region."
"Projects like this are creating local jobs, improving health and wellbeing and will also bring more world-class competition and events to Gippsland for locals to enjoy."
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Lowanna College Unveils Upgraded Classrooms and Facilities
Bigger, flexible learning spaces and school facilities unveiled!
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Building the Best School Facilities for Warragul
Bright and modern facilities with the opening of GLA building at St. Paul's Anglican Grammar School.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Works on Track for the Traralgon to Morwell Shared Pathway
Continuing works on the Traralgon to Morwell shared pathway.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Unauthorised Building Works Result In Fines for Owner
Successful legal action by Latrobe City Council against a Morwell property owner
- Working Together to Reduce Emissions
Bass Coast Shire Council agreed to work towards a community greenhouse gas emissions target.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- Safety Work Complete Between Longwarry and Traralgon
Safer travels between Longwarry and Traralgon with Princes Highway.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Building Upgrades at Wonthaggi Primary School
Important new works for the Wonthaggi Primary School soon!
- Free TAFE Starts at Federation Training Morwell
Free TAFE program for students and job seekers from the Latrobe Valley.
- Ace in the Hole – Works Begin at Sale Tennis Centre
The $2.35 million redevelopment of the Sale Tennis Club is now underway.
- Building on the Men’s Shed Community in Toongabbie
Toongabbie & District Men’s Shed extension opens today!
- Building a Community Hospital on Phillip Island
Re-elected Andrews Labor Government to deliver the Phillip Island Community Hospital in Cowes.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Gippsland Freight Benefits from Bridge Strengthening
This critical link on the Princes Highway for transporting goods carries over 3,300 trucks each day in and out of Gippsland.
- Facelift for Sporting Facilities
Phillip Island Football Netball Club rooms at the Cowes Recreation Reserve gets a facelift.
- Gippsland Cemeteries Receive Victorian Government Grants
Nineteen Gippsland cemeteries received a government grant.
- Gippsland Bushfire Emergency
Gippsland Bushfire Emergency