Latrobe Local News:
Latrobe Unlucky as Rain Dampens Championships
The Sale Baseball Club hosted the Victorian Provincial Baseball Championships on the weekend
By Latrobe Valley Baseball Association - 11th July 2001 - Back to News
Tell us your opinion See what others have said
The Sale Baseball Club hosted the Victorian Provincial Baseball Championships on behalf of the Edison Mission Latrobe Valley Baseball Association on the weekend. In a rain interrupted weekend the Latrobe Valley played extremely well, losing only one game for the entire weekend, and finishing equal second.
Unfortunately the weather played a part in the final standings as the Latrobe Valley was unable to play their final game. The final game Latrobe Valley would have won convincingly as they were matched against the weaker Goulburn Valley team. This result, and the fact that ladder leader Bendigo had run out of pitchers and were to face a strong Ballarat team would have surely propelled the Latrobe Valley into first position. In the division one competition Geelong finished on top from the Diamond Valley.
In game one verses a strongly coached Ballarat, the LV started slowly trailing by two runs after three innings. In their fourth and fifth digs LV rallied hard and piled on eight runs to take the match 8-2. Again in game two the boys started slowly and trailed 8-0 after two innings. The team scored five runs in their third dig and looked likely to roll over the top of Bendigo until rain washed out play and Bendigo were declared the winners 8-5.
The Latrobe Valley played Sunraysia on Sunday and dominated from the outset quickly leading ten runs to nil. This gave the LV a chance to rotate players and the eventual victory was 13-7. Game four was against North Easts. The match only witnessed four innings as once again rain haltered proceedings. The Latrobe Valley led convincingly 13-0 and was declared the winners.
Two Latrobe Valley players were named to the Championship All-Star team. Morwell’s Rory Clark was named pitcher after completing the weekend with an earned average of 0.00 and nine strikeouts from five innings pitched. Sale’s Gregory Johnston was named on 1st base after having fifteen putouts and one assist from ten innings for the weekend.
Congratulations to the Latrobe Valley squad; Colin Carmody (Coach), Greg Carmody (Assistant Coach), Robert Johnston (Manager), Rory Clark (Morwell), Cary Humphrey, Luke Hornstra, Steven Cox (Traralgon), Lance Keighran (Churchill), Greg Johnston, Andrew Johnston, Leigh Robbins, Harrison Wraight, David Lamborn, Scott Monaghan, Chris Garner and Alex Greenwood (Sale).
The action continues this weekend in the Edison Mission Energy Latrobe Valley Baseball Association with round thirteen games. Morwell hosts Traralgon, Sale travels to Yarram and the Moe/Newborough Dodgers battle Churchill at home. So come down to the grounds to taste the action.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
There are no responses to this topic yet.
Start the discussion now
Note: To start the discussion you will have to login with your member account.Related Articles
- Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion Officially Opened
Latrobe Synthetic Sports Field Pavilion was officially opened on Wednesday.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct Concept Design Launched
Concept design for the Latrobe Creative Precinct launched today!
- Latrobe Valley to Get Residential Rehabilitation Centre under Liberal Nationals
Access for drug or alcohol addiction rehabilitations for people in the Latrobe Valley under an elected Liberal Nationals Government.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Latrobe Creative Precinct – Sod turning Ceremony
Commemoration: beginning of construction of the Latrobe Creative Precinct.
- Latrobe Valley Information Network (LVIN)
World’s largest real-time environmental monitoring network goes online in the Latrobe Valley, Victoria on the 1st May.
- Latrobe City Council 2019/2020 Draft Budget and Draft Rating Strategy 2019-20
Budget draft considers investment in generational assets for population growth and enhanced liveability.
- Latrobe L2P Program: Driver mentor Program to Continue till 2023
Continued assistance to young people with challenges in completing their 120 hours of on-road driving experience.
- Latrobe City Council Successfully Pursues Legal Action
Legal action against two individuals in relation to breaches of the Building Act 1993
- Latrobe Boost to Emergency Ambulance Arrivals
Data shows Ambulance arrtival at the scene of emergencies two minutes quicker in the March quarter.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Latrobe City Libraries Seeking Feedback
Feedback needed on City Library collections.
- The Latrobe Valley Misses Out Under Labor, Again
Faster rail for Ballarat and Geelong, Latrobe Valley is left out.
- Northe calls for ‘Latrobe Sports and Recreation Fund’ to support grassroots sport in Latrobe Valley
Call for Latrobe Valley’s investment in sporting grounds, clubs and facilities.
- Youth Space Latrobe Seeks Ideas from Young People
Branding the Youth Space Latrobe in Morwell welcomes ideas from the youth.
- Bond backs Latrobe drug rehabilitation facility
Sheridan Bond calls for a dedicated drug rehabilitation centre in the Latrobe Valley.
- Bond Backs Latrobe Special Education
Bond asked Latrobe Valley community support campaign for a new stand-alone campus for Latrobe Special Developmental School.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Fun and Learning at Latrobe City’s Children’s Expo
Fun activities in the annual Latrobe City Children’s Expo on Thursday 25 October at Kernot Hall.
- Stars Aligned For Latrobe in Country Cricket Coup
Big Bash League charging into the Latrobe Valley.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Electrifying Boost to Jobs in the Latrobe Valley with electric car plant
Latrobe Valley to become the capital of electric vehicle manufacturing in Australia.
- Liberal Nationals will build Latrobe Special Developmental School
A dedicated, purporse-buldt Latrobe Special Development School courtesy of an elected Nationals Government.
- Rewriting the Score – Latrobe Regional Gallery
12 metre installation at Latrobe Regional Gallery titled REWRITING THE SCORE.
- Nominations close soon for Latrobe City’s Australia Day Awards
2019 Australia Day Awards nominations.
- Northe Racing to Support Latrobe Valley Racing Club
Russell Northe today threw his support behind the dedicated group of volunteers at Latrobe Valley Racing Club, for Traralgon Racecourse.
- Inequity Continues for Latrobe Valley Commuters
Still no support for public transport services and prices for Latrobe Valley commuters.
- Building a Bigger and Better Latrobe Regional Hospital
Massive expansion set for the Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon.
- Toll Disparity to Hit Latrobe Valley Pockets
Disappointment as Victorians forced to fund the building of the West Gate Tunnel project.
- The Bridge of No Return’ exhibition at Latrobe Regional Gallery
Lyndal Jones at Latrobe Regional Gallery.
- Fun, Fact and The Famous at This Year’s Latrobe Literary Festival
Diverse program mix in this year's Latrobe Literary Festival.
- Northe implores Minister to support Latrobe Quarry Industry
Russell Northe asking for action on local quarry licensing applications.
- Drought Relief Necessary in Latrobe – Northe
Appeal for support for farmers in drought conditions.
- Safe and Strong Latrobe
Safe and Strong Latrobe, designed to prevent violence against women.
- Northe asks what RET means for Latrobe Valley
North emphasized the need to understand associated modelling and potential impacts on Latrobe Valley workers, contractors, families and businesses with VRET.
- Bond Backs Gippsland Tertiary Education Council to Address Latrobe Valley Skill Shortage
Discussion for the region’s shortage of diesel mechanics and the return of the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Lighting Up Sport across the Latrobe Valley
Installation of 300 new lux LED lights in Newborough and Traralgon.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Northe Calls for RV Rest Site for Latrobe Valley
Policy Initiative for a Recreational Vehicle (RV) stopover in Latrobe Valley unveiled.
- Asbestos Taskforce Kicks Off in the Latrobe Valley
Asbestos taskforce first meeting for the Latrobe Valley.
- Energy Programs Deliver Jobs for the Latrobe Valley
Driving down energy prices with installation of microgrids.
- Boosting Safety and Reliability on Latrobe Roads
Reliable and safe roads with Fixing Country Roads Program.
- Creating Spaces for Young People in the Latrobe Valley
Youth-focused hub formally opens!
- The Nationals Building a Brighter Future for Young Victorians in Latrobe Valley
Push for improvement of school literacy and numeracy standards in the early years.
- Two Gippsland Clubs to Receive a Life Saving Debrillator
Latrobe Valley 4WD Club and Tetoora Road Community Centre received defibrillator for medical emergencies.
- Backing Community Projects in Latrobe
Support for community projects in Latrobe.
- Free TAFE Starts at Federation Training Morwell
Free TAFE program for students and job seekers from the Latrobe Valley.
- Nominations Open for 65th Victorian Training Awards
Nominations now open for the 65th Victorian Training Awards
- Sale Greyhounds Celebrate Spring Racing and Seniors
Upgrades for the infrastructure at the Sale Greyhound Racing Club.
- Sale Showgrounds Open and Water Tower Redevelopment Happening
New amenities and recreation building at the Sale Showgrounds is now open.
- 2019 OPTUS Victorian Country Long Course Swimming Championships
Happening on 25th January to 27th January.
- Government Support Runs Dry in Latrobe
Drought continues with little support.