• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
By Portal Admin - 7th July 2019 - Back to News
The Andrews Labor Government is supporting a new partnership between SEA Electric and TAFE Gippsland, developing courses to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing today welcomed the new partnership, which will allow collaboration on the development and delivery of training for workers interested in employment in the EV industry, including at SEA Electric’s future Latrobe Valley facility.
The courses developed under the partnership will focus on key electric vehicle skills including manufacturing, auto-electrical, engineering and vehicle maintenance.
TAFE Gippsland and SEA Electric have already appointed a joint team to begin work.
SEA Electric will develop an assembly facility in the Latrobe Valley that will employ up to 500 local workers to assemble their E4 model fully-electric vans and minibuses."The company has already employed 17 Latrobe Valley workers in their current Dandenong facility, who will transition to the Latrobe Valley facility when it opens.
The Latrobe Valley Authority is currently working closely with the SEA Electric and Latrobe City Council to find an appropriate site for the facility, which is due to be under construction in 2020 and begin operations in 2021.
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"This partnership is one more step on the path to making the Latrobe Valley the Australian capital of electric vehicles – creating 500 local jobs along the way."
Quotes attributable to Latrobe Valley Authority CEO Karen Cain
"This partnership will support the Latrobe Valley’s vision as a future high-skills, high-value manufacturing centre."
Quotes attributable to TAFE Gippsland Chief Executive Officer Grant Radford
"This partnership with SEA Electric is an important example of TAFE Gippsland working closely with an emerging industry to develop training programs which service their future skill needs."
Quotes attributable to SEA Electric AU/NZ Regional Director Mark Cameron
"We look forward to the opportunity to provide jobs in the Latrobe Valley, this agreement with TAFE Gippsland is another step forward on that part."
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- New Home for the Voice of Latrobe
Latrobe Health Advocate moves into a new home in Morwell CBD.
- New Technology Boosting Safety in Nar Nar Goon
New technology installed at a high-risk intersection near Nar Nar Goon, for easier and safer turning to the Princes Highway.
- New Playspace for Warragul Worth its Weight in Marbles
Brand new play equipment for students at Warragul North Primary School with Pick My Project initiative.
- New Island Off-Leash Beaches Introduced
New off-leash beach areas in San Remo, Cape Woolamai, Cowes West and Ventnor will be introduced by 1 December 2019 in time for summer.
- New Bills Introduced into Victorian Parliament Last Week
Three new bills introduced into Parliament this week.
- A New Jobs and Volunteering Hub for Gippsland
New job opportunities for Gippsland locals with new job hub.
- A New Chairperson Appointed and Lots More!
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- New Blue Gum Plantation Ready to Bloom
Timber plantation on crown land in the Latrobe Valley already completed.
- New Vichealth Funding to Grow Community Sport in Eastern Victoria
The Victorian Health Promotion Foundation (VicHealth) announced a$500,000 funding to support sports clubs in Eastern Victoria.
- New Home Found for PICAL
A vacant block of land that forms part of what is locally known as the ‘Old Warley Hospital’ site on Warley Avenue in Cowes will be the future home of Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL).
- Latrobe City Welcomes our Newest Citizens
Newly naturalised Australian citizens from countries including Italy, Russia, Iran, Sri Lanka and the Philippines, warmly welcomed at Latrobe City Councils second Citizenship Ceremony.
- Latrobe City Council Appoints New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Dan Clancey elected as Mayor and Cr Alan McFarlane as deputy.
- Latrobe Valley Residents Paint the Town Proud
Newly transformed public places across the Latrobe Valley for resident to enjoy.
- Work starts on new 36 million litre water storage tank at Wy Yung
Construction of a new 36 million litre water storage tank at East Gippsland Water's Wy Yung water storage facility.
- An Exciting New Era for Morwell Maternal and Child Health Services
Morwell Maternal and Child Health relocation.
- Latrobe Valley Yacht Club
Hazelwood Power Station closure.
- Download your New Bin Collection Calendar Now
2019/20 bin collection calendars are now available for download.
- West Gippsland Healthcare Group Celebrates Completion of New Short Stay Unit and Third Operating Theatre
newly completed Short Stay Unit and third Operating Theatre at West Gippsland Hospital
- Latrobe City Showcase Defence Capabilities
70 businesses discussed supplier partnership opportunities with Rheinmetall Defence Australia.
- Latrobe City Mentors Donate 6,800 Hours to Local Learners
Latrobe City Mentors will provide 6,800 hours supervising local learner drivers with its 10-year anniversary.
- Latrobe City Law Enforcement Special Olympics Torch Run
Special Olympics Torch Run Tour to Latrobe City by Victoria Police and Special Olympics Australia.
- Latrobe City Traffic School Hosts Gippsland Bike Ed Challenge
Regional championship at the Latrobe City Traffic School in Morwell.
- Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches
Summer Regulations and New Off-leash Beaches come December 1.
- Connecting the New College Campus
Traffic management plan for 2020 being worked on by Bass Coast Shire Council, Wonthaggi Secondary College and the Bass Coast Specialist School.
- Cricket Fans are Padding Up for an Exciting New Innings in Gippsland Cricket
New home for Gippsland cricket at state-of-the-art facility at the Ted Summerton Reserve.
- Latrobe City Relocates Emergency Relief Centre Servicing Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve to assist East Gippsland Shire during the bushfire emergency.
- Latrobe City Assists Displaced East Gippsland Residents
Support escalated with the opening of an Emergency Relief Centre at the Morwell Recreation Reserve, Travers Street Morwell.
- Latrobe City say ‘Thanks for the hand’
Volunteers received a special gift to acknowledge the contribution they make to the community.
- Smile Squad to Visit Latrobe Valley Kids from Term One
Free dental program is rolled out to more schools in term by Smile Squad one next year.
- Safe & Strong Latrobe Executive Leadership Forum
Focus on gender equality and prevention of family violence in the business sector at Latrobe Executive Leadership forum.
- Putting Out the Call for a New Kind of Art
Bass Coast Shire Council calls for expressions of interest for 2019/20 project.
- Works Commence at Latrobe Creative Precinct
Latrobe Creative Precinct excavation works commencing on site this week.
- Mecwacare Announced as New Provider
Mecwacare chosen by both the State and Federal governments as the provider of Aged and Disability Services and Assessment Services for the Bass Coast Shire and will start servicing Bass Coast clients from January 2020.
- Driving Better Car Parking Across the Latrobe Valley
Investment on new free car parks for the Latrobe Valley: Moe added to the Regional Car Park’s Fund.
- Brown Coal to Produce Hydrogen in Latrobe Valley
Pilot project launched at the Loy Yang Power Station where J-Power Latrobe Valley Pty Ltd (J-Power) to produce hydrogen from brown coal.
- Garden Talent in Full Bloom in Latrobe City
Gardening skills of Latrobe City residents recognised at the Latrobe City Garden Competition awards night.
- Ballet under the Stars Comes to the Latrobe Valley
Australian Ballet’s free outdoor gala event Ballet Under the Stars will visit the Latrobe Valley.
- Defence Sector Prospects for Latrobe City
Business delegation led to Latrobe City Council showcasing the specialist business and industry expertise available in Latrobe City connected to the defence sector.
- Brancourts Closure a Blow for the Latrobe Valley
Tough times for 30 local employees of Brancourts’ Traralgon processing plant.
- W-League Soccer to be Showcased in Latrobe City
Latrobe City hosts elite level women’s soccer at the Latrobe City Sports and Entertainment Stadium, Morwell between Melbourne Victory and Western Sydney Wanderers.
- Experts Appointed to Run Traralgon Youth Rehab Beds
New youth residential rehabilitation service in the Latrobe Valley to run by alcohol and other drug support agencies.
- Growing Careers for Hard-Working Hospital Workers in Eastern Victoria
New training and skills program now open to non-clinical workers in Victorian health services to help them to grow long and exciting careers in the health sector.
- Grant Round Open for Local Crime and Safety Solutions - Latrobe Valley
$25 million investment in the Community Crime Prevention Program.
- Senior Trade and Investment Commissioner visits Latrobe City
Mr Peter McGauran visits Latrobe City.
- State Government Regulations for Private Pools and Spas
New regulations require council residents who own a private swimming pool or spa to register them with Council by 1 June 2020.
- The Isobel Project
New program gives female leaders opportunity to better understand the political process.
- Skate Parks Ready to Ride
New completed skate parks at Cowes, Grantville and Corinella.
- Gippsland Trail Blazes in Motorbike Safety
New pilot project for riders at Neerim State Forest.
- Keeping the Legacy of our Veterans Alive in Latrobe City
Keeping alive the legacy of local veterans with funding to support the Yinnar Cenotaph Lighting Project, the Traralgon Cemetery Trust War Memorial Precinct and the Traralgon RS Sub-Branch rental of a giant screen for ANZAC Day 2020.
- Skating Around Bass Coast
New Skate Park officially opens.
- Gippsland Business Festival a big success for Latrobe City
Huge turnout of business owners and entrepreneur’s at ‘Tom O’Toole – Ingredients of Success’.
- Labor Votes against Stronger Penalties for Farm Trespass
Bill with new offence of ‘aggravated’ trespass with increased penalties and a mandatory minimum non-parole sentence of six months for anyone found guilty lost 13 to 26.
- Innovation Groups for future industry growth in Gippsland
An update on news, events, activities and opportunities across the Food & Fibre sector in Gippsland.
- Getting Ready for Three-Year-Old Kinder in Eastern Victoria
Support for new teachers from the landmark roll-out of funded Three-Year-Old Kinder.
- Northe calls for VRET Analysis for the Valley
Calls to the Minister for Energy clarify how the Governments Victorian Renewable Energy Target will impact communities.
- Turning Vacant Places to Local Creative Spaces in Eastern Victoria
Projects to develop new creative spaces under Regional Coworking Spaces and Creative Places program.
- Christmas Comes Early for Ted Summerton Reserve
Exciting summer of cricket as the new Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe opens.
- Parliament Climate Change Hearing for Latrobe
Public hearing to tackle climate change in Victorian communities next week.