• Add My News • Search Old News
Free Text Books for Secondary School Students
Promise of new free textbooks for secondary schoold students if the Nationals get elected.
By Portal Admin - 22nd October 2018 - Back to News
Students will get free textbooks if The Nationals are elected to government in November, saving families with two secondary school children up to $1000 a year, Sheridan Bond, The Nationals candidate for Morwell has announced.
Ms Bond said relieving the burden of purchasing school textbooks each year will ease the mounting financial pressure on families to meet the growing cost-of-living.
"School textbooks are a significant expense that comes about each January for Latrobe Valley families with students in secondary school – having to pay for textbooks so soon after Christmas can be stressful," Ms Bond said.
"The free school textbook program will save some families of two secondary students around $1,000 a year.
"We have three large public secondary schools – Traralgon College, Kurnai College and Lowanna College – in the Latrobe Valley and we also have many Valley based students travelling to Trafalgar High. So, the free school book program will help many of our local families.
"The Nationals understand Victorian families are doing it tough with cost-of-living pressures, especially families with school children.
"With sky rocketing energy prices and so many new taxes introduced by Daniel Andrews’ Labor Government we are working on new ways to help families get back in control of finances and ease the pressure."
Prior to the last election Daniel Andrews promised ‘no new taxes’ but since then he has introduced or increased 12 taxes. Victorians’ taxes have gone up by 35 per cent since he was elected.
"On top of Labor’s new taxes, average household electricity bills are up by more than $300 a year because Daniel Andrews refused to stop the closure of Hazelwood," Ms Bond said.
"This has had a significant effect on the Latrobe Valley community more than anywhere in the state in terms of economic impact."
The new Free School Books for Students program will provide funding to government schools to purchase school text books for students. Students will be expected to maintain the books and return them in good condition at the end of the semester or year.
While this policy principally applies to hard copy text books, the Department will also work with schools to improve the procurement of texts in digital format.
The Nationals candidate for Morwell, Sheridan Bond celebrates the announcement for free school books with Latrobe Valley secondary school students Lauren, Sarah, Charley and Chloe.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Free TAFE Starts at Federation Training Morwell
Free TAFE program for students and job seekers from the Latrobe Valley.
- Free Computers for a Worthy Cause
23 Lenovo desktop computers give aways.
- First Steps for Victoria’s Free Baby Bundle
Free Baby Bundles for first-time parents.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- Get Rid of Green Waste, Fee-Free
Fee-free green waste disposal from 1 November until 16 December 2018.
- School’s Back after Summer
School Zone speed limits are also back in effect
- Lowanna College Students to Live and Learn In India
Lowanna College to do travel immersion in India.
- Latrobe Valley Students Pay Unfair Fares
Calls to abolish the unfair ticketing system.
- Liberal Nationals to Get Gippsland Students Back On Track
An elected Liberal Nationals Government will restore the Gippsland Tertiary Education Council.
- Armistice Street Theatre Performances to Recognise the End of World War I
New free street theatre performance to recognise the 100 year anniversary of the signing of the Armistice.
- Building the Best School Facilities for Warragul
Bright and modern facilities with the opening of GLA building at St. Paul's Anglican Grammar School.
- Stop the Spread of Flu this Winter
Free flu vaccinations through the Government’s National Immunisation Program.
- Supporting Gippsland Passengers during Autumn Blitz
Free travel during state-wide autumn transport construction blitz.
- Baby Bundles Coming to Eastern Victoria
Free baby bundles for first-time parents.
- Providing More Parenting Support in Gippsland
Free parenting support in Gippsland.
- Tarwin Valley Primary School Upgrade a Step Closer
AOA Architects appointed to design a S500, 000 upgrade of the Tarwin Valley Primary School.
- Delivering a Great Local School for Lakes Entrance
$1 million towards an upgrade at St Brendan's School.
- Keeping Our Promises to Eastern Victoria Region
Local families will benefit from brand-new Baby Bundles, new and expanded School Breakfast Clubs and the next stage of our Solar homes program.
- Delivering a Great Local School for Traralgon
Massive upgrade to Traralgon (Kosciuszko Street) Primary School with a re-elected Andrews Local Government official.
- New CEO appointed - Grants for Start-Ups - Workforce Planning
News updates, events, opportunities and activities in the Food & Fibre sector across Gippsland.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- 32,000 Fish Stocked in Time for School Holidays
School holidays optimised to get more people fishing more often.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- New Wy Yung Water Storage
Preparations for a new 36 million litre water storage tank in Wy Yung.
- A New Look for Bass Coast Children’s Centre
A bright new learning space for Bass Coast Children’s Centre.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Collaborations for Gippsland’s Food and Fibre Sector
Gippsland’s food and fibre industry is set to continue its growth and market presence.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- New Parks for Waterline Skaters
Construction of permanent Skate Parks, now underway.
- Traralgon College and Latrobe Special Developmental School Upgrade a Step Closer
Hede Architects Pty Ltd appointed to design Stage 1 of the Traralgon Education Regeneration Project.
- Trout Stocking Bonanza for School Holidays
More than 30,000 catchable size rainbow trout stocked into almost 80 waters state-wide.
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Three new Labor taxes celebrate their third birthday
Labor taxes' anniversary.
- Expanding Mental Health Support to Gippsland Students
Access to a mental health professional for secondary schools soon.