• Add My News • Search Old News
Harriet Shing MP:
Morwell Locals Helping Power New Trains
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals.
By Portal Admin - 5th November 2018 - Back to News
Workers in the Latrobe Valley are helping to power the Andrews Labor Government’s bigger and longer trains.
Minister for Industry and Employment Ben Carroll today visited Times Electric Australia in Morwell, which is making the traction system for Melbourne’s 65 new High Capacity Metro Trains.
The Morwell facility is creating new employment opportunities for locals, with a number of staff transitioning from previous roles in forestry, coal-fired power, construction and aviation.
The facility has already created jobs for 16 local workers, in a variety of roles ranging from manufacturing and logistics through to administration.
The traction system made in Morwell propels the train using motors, gearboxes and invertors, while the electrical auxiliary systems power the train’s internal lighting and air-conditioning and provides emergency power when overhead line power is not available.
Once the systems are complete, they are then sent from Morwell to Newport where the trains are being assembled and fitted out.
The Labor Government’s $2.3 billion HCMT Project is the single largest order of trains built in Victoria, engaging local suppliers and businesses from across Victoria – generating around 1,100 jobs.
The trains will start running on the Cranbourne and Pakenham lines from mid-2019 – for more information on the High Capacity Metro Trains Project visit transport.vic.gov.au/biggertrains.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Industry and Employment Ben Carroll
"We’re building the state’s largest single order of new trains in Victoria – creating new jobs for regional Victorians."
"We said we’d support workers in transition in Latrobe Valley and that’s exactly what we’ve done through the High Capacity Metro Trains and countless other projects."
Quotes attributable to Member for Eastern Victoria Harriet Shing
"We’re guaranteeing more local work than ever before on our major projects and helping transition workers into new and emerging industries."
"We’ll continue to stand with the Latrobe Valley to make sure locals get their fair share of work on the state’s multi-billion pipeline of infrastructure projects."
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Morwell CBD Revitalisation
Creation of a reinvigorated town centre and establishing Morwell as a vibrant, dynamic and welcoming centre in the area of Morwell.
- Morwell Rose Garden Festival Funding
A $100,000 Federal Government funding to expand the Morwell Rose Garden Festival.
- Morwell Makes Room for ‘Her Place’
Celebrating the lives of Victorian women with an exhibition in Morwell.
- Upgrades to Morwell Kindergartens’ Play-Based Learning Spaces
First-rate kindergarten with upgrades to Morwell kindergartens.
- Connecting Morwell with High-Speed Broadband
Access to high-speed broadband for Morwell.
- Location Announced For New Morwell Fire Station
A new fire station in Morwell to boost to emergency services in the Latrobe Valley.
- Giving Locals A Voice at the Mental Health Royal Commission
Lived experiences sharing through new online portal.
- Eastern Victoria Locals Urged to Take Care on Quad Bikes
A renewed call for vigilance on and around all-terrain vehicles or quad bikes.
- Works on Track for the Traralgon to Morwell Shared Pathway
Continuing works on the Traralgon to Morwell shared pathway.
- Official Opening of Shared Pavilion and Netball Courts at Morwell Recreation Reserve
Morwell Recreation Reserve Precinct Master Plan officially opens
- Building a New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access a new one-stop-shop kinder, school and family services soon!
- Funding Boosts Local Sports Clubs in Morwell Electorate
Get active as four local sporting clubs gets funded.
- Building Begins On New Kinder Hub in Morwell
Access to more kindergarten places in Morwell.
- New CEO appointed - Grants for Start-Ups - Workforce Planning
News updates, events, opportunities and activities in the Food & Fibre sector across Gippsland.
- New Stem Facilities for Students in West Gippsland
New facilities for students studying science, technology, engineering and mathematics in West Gippsland.
- New Campaign Shows Gippsland is Open for Business
New tourism campaign to encourage visitors to choose Gippsland for their next trip.
- New Partnership for Latrobe Valley Skills
New partnership to prepare Latrobe Valley workers for upcoming jobs in the electric vehicle industry.
- New Look for Dalyston Recreation Reserve
New football change rooms for players and umpires are complete at the Dalyston Recreation Reserve.
- New Heavy Pumper for Traralgon Firefighters
A new heavy pumper for Traralgon Fire Brigade's 130th birthday.
- New Lanes Completed On Two Sections of Princes Highway East between Traralgon and Sale
Better journeys up ahead along newly duplicated and safer sections of the Princes Highway through Gippsland.
- New Wy Yung Water Storage
Preparations for a new 36 million litre water storage tank in Wy Yung.
- A New Look for Bass Coast Children’s Centre
A bright new learning space for Bass Coast Children’s Centre.
- New Justice Service Centre for Warragul
Access to a range of justice services with the opening of a new Justice Service Centre.
- New Cricket Hub to turn Ted Summerton into Gippsland’s Own ‘MCG’
Gippsland Regional Cricket Centre at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe with $3.5 million funding.
- New Funding Available For Sports Clubs in Eastern Victoria Region
Grants of up to $3,000 or $10,000 to community sporting clubs.
- New Collaborations for Gippsland’s Food and Fibre Sector
Gippsland’s food and fibre industry is set to continue its growth and market presence.
- New Gippsland Regional Sports Complex is Ready to Roll
Revamped Gippsland Regional Sports Complex in Sale opens today!
- New Parks for Waterline Skaters
Construction of permanent Skate Parks, now underway.
- Labor Not Putting Locals First
Rural and regional communities gets second place for project support.
- Helping Gippsland Children Get the Most Out of Kindergarten
Kindergartens to benefit from Australian-first school readiness funding.
- Helping More Young Victorians Learn To Drive
Support for young Victorian student drivers.
- Helping Victorians Start Their Own Business
Back up for Victorians who want to start their own business.
- Sport Loan to Help Latrobe Valley Locals Make a Splash
A $10 million loan for the transformation of the Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre and the Traralgon Indoor Sports Stadium.
- Three new Labor taxes celebrate their third birthday
Labor taxes' anniversary.
- Appoint of New Chief Executive Officer for Latrobe City
Latrobe City Councillors were unanimous in their decision to appoint Steven Piasente as new Chief Executive Officer after an extensive recruitment process.
- Labor’s False Claims Equal No New Trains for Country Victoria
No new trains for Victoria.
- Rebates Helping Victorians Reduce Water Bills
Two innovative community rebate programs to reduce water bills.
- Creating a Powerful Voice for Aboriginal Victorians on Treaty
Victoria’s first – and historic – First People’s Assembly.
- Funding Boost for Newborough’s Athletes
10 new multi-sport courts and a pavilion to be constructed.
- Moe Nets Funding For New Cricket Centre of Excellence
A $500,000 funding for a state-of-the-art cricket centre of excellence.
- Gippsland will Rocket into the New Year with the Launch of Startup Gippsland
Launch of the Startup Gippsland program announced.
- Regional Skate Park and New Playspace for San Remo
Bass Coast Shire Council and the State Government commits to region’s best skate park and a new play space for San Remo.
- Freemasons Victoria Helping Gippsland Farmers
Freemasons Victoria to contribute $50,000 to Gippsland Farmers Relief.
- Latrobe City Council Elects New Mayor and Deputy Mayor
Councillor Graeme Middlemiss elected to the position of Mayor at Latrobe City Council special meeting.
- Free TAFE Starts at Federation Training Morwell
Free TAFE program for students and job seekers from the Latrobe Valley.
- San Remo Skaters Score New Skate Park
$650,000 new skate park for San Remo
- On The Lookout for a New Kind of Art
Expression of Interest (EOI) from experienced artists for a contemporary public artwork to be installed in the Bass Valley and Hinterland region.
- Latrobe Valley Authority Benefiting Community
Morwell Historical Society receives a $12,539 grant.
- Bass Coast Welcomes New Citizens
Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony
- Latrobe Valley Power Stations
Possible early closure of Latrobe Valley Power Stations
- Steve McKenzie takes the reins as East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director
East Gippsland Water's new Managing Director.
- Liberal Nationals Improving Food Security for Vulnerable People in Morwell
Elected Liberal Nationals Government to address the growing issue of food insecurity in the Latrobe Valley and Gippsland.
- Historic Shed in New Home
Coels Shed relocated to the Phillip Island Community and Learning Centre (PICAL) community garden.
- Giving Eastern Victoria Regions’ Hard-Working Carers the Helping Hand They Deserve
Package of nearly $50 million to go towards grants for initiatives that support carers.
- Architects Appointed for Tafe Gippsland Redevelopment
Newly appointed architect to design the major redevelopment of its Morwell campus and the new Port of Sale campus.
- Easter Egg Drive Supporting MNH Foodbank
Russell Northe teams up with Morwell Neighbourhood for Easter egg's donations.