• Add My News • Search Old News
Peter Walsh MP:
Relief for Regional Victorian Families and Businesses
Regional Victoria not included in today’s six week COVID-19 lockdown.
By Portal Admin - 13th July 2020 - Back to News
The decision not to include most of regional Victoria in today’s six week COVID-19 lockdown will provide some long overdue relief for country businesses and communities.
Victorians have worked hard to do our bit to stop the spread of the virus and save lives, but the worsening figures in Melbourne cannot be ignored.
The bad decisions and poor management of the virus by the Andrews Labor Government have left our state in an impossible position.
The next six weeks will be incredibly difficult for people living in the Melbourne area and the Mitchell Shire. It’s devastating news for families, businesses and communities who have been working hard to do the right thing but have now been dragged into further lockdowns.
Regional Victorians desperately needed the news today that we will not face further lockdowns as a result of outbreaks in Melbourne.
All Victorians have made huge sacrifices as we work to combat this pandemic but we have been let down by the Andrews Labor Government.
Many country communities have only seen a low number of cases or none at all. We need this opportunity to reopen, to get local people back to work and back in business as soon as possible.
Similar to the lockdown in Melbourne, reopening country communities should be managed by postcode and require patrons to provide proof they live in the local area.
There must also be careful consideration of the impact of state border closures with New South Wales and South Australia.
I urge compassion for our Victorian border communities and the close social and business ties they have with their interstate counterparts. We will not survive being indefinitely locked out of accessing critical health care, education and other essential services.
COVID shutdowns have smashed our country businesses and we desperately need to take common sense steps that will secure our local jobs and build business confidence.
Published by: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Regional Victoria Robbed in Big Borrowing, Big Debt Labor Budget
Outspent on city-focused State Budget, delivered little for regional Victorians.
- Regional Victoria to Take Third Step
In the Third Step you can form household bubbles.which will allow households across regional Victoria to choose one other household to be in a bubble. You can visit them in their home and they can visit you – with up to a total of five visitors.
- Regional Victoria Moving to the Third Step
Victoria comes out of the second wave.
- Regional Travel Scheme Launched
Regional Travel Voucher Scheme launched with first 40,000 vouchers valued at $200 each available to be redeemed for travel between Saturday, 12 December 2020 and Friday, 22 January 2021.
- Regional Vic must Benefit from State Budget
2020-21 Victorian State Budget should lay out a plan to restore Victorians’ lives and livelihoods.
- Regional Roadmap Goes in Wrong Direction
Concerns for many local businesses with Regional Roadmap.
- Regional Roadmap Going in Wrong Direction
Calls to review the thresholds that apply to the "Last Step" within the reopening roadmap to Regional Victoria.
- Statement on Regional Victoria Moving to the Third Step
Towards recovery with the Third Step.
- New Regional COVID Rules a Mixed Bag
Mixed views on COVID-19 restrictions for Regional Victorians.
- Eastern Victorian Businesses Going Digital for Covid Normal
Launch of the Victorian Government’s Small Business Digital Adaptation Program.
- Victorian Timber Workers an Endangered Species under Labor
Code of Practice for Timber Production 2014 will do nothing to protect jobs.
- Victorian Shooters Targeted by Labor Government’s ‘Overreach’
Unsolicited threat to take away firearms licences.
- Victorians Urged to Prepare for Fire Season
Fire Action Week runs until 25 October, a time for households to increase their understanding of local fire risks, prepare their properties and plan how to stay safe.
- First Look at Latrobe Regional Hospital Expansion
Labor Government ensuring health services access to community
- Buck stops with Victorian Labor on stalled Murray Basin Rail Project
Minister Jacinta Allan is attempting to rewrite history by handballing blame for the stalled Murray Basin Rail Project to the Federal Government.
- Community Food Relief Fund Applications Open
Launch of the State Governments $5 million Community Food Relief Fund
- Statement on COVID Restrictions for Regional Victoria
Regional Victoria re-entering Stage 3 COVID restrictions this week.
- Putting the Mental Health of Victorians First in Eastern Victoria
Victorian Budget 2020/21 will include $868.6 million to ensure Victorians have the mental health support.
- Separate Roadmap Needed for Regional Victoria
Letter to the editor on a separate roadmap needed for regional Victoria.
- Simple Change to Restrictions will transform Pain Relief for Victorians in Need
Urgent need to reopen community pools to people with a disability for hydrotherapy treatment and water-based pain relief activities.
- Liberal Nationals Release New Plan to get Victorians Back to Work and Back in Business
Victoria needs a bold plan.
- Eastern Victoria Clubs Urged to Apply for Sport and Active Recreation Grants
Applications are now open for the latest round of the Victorian Government’s 2020-21 Sporting Club Grants Program.
- Shocktober Campaign aims to help Save Lives in Regional Victoria
Ambulance Victoria are encouraging communities to learn CPR and how to use an Automatic External Defibrillator (AED), everyday 18 Victorians suffer a cardiac arrest, this can happen to anyone anywhere at any time.
- New Infrastructure for Latrobe Regional Hospital
Hospitals across the state will receive the latest life-saving medical equipment and upgrading vital infrastructure.
- Truth Masked by Minister on Mandatory Face Coverings for Regional Vic
Regional Victorians need to continue to wear masks.
- China Trade Barriers Hurting Victorian Farmers
Labor Government stood still with Belt and Road deal despite punitive import suspensions.
- Low Cases Grounds for Early Mark for Regional Vic
Implement New South Wales restrictions in country areas.
- Dan’s Dodgy Belt and Road Selling out Victorian Producers
No actions yet for China’s punitive 80 per cent tariff on Australian barley and further threats targeting wine and dairy exports.
- Supporting Eastern Victoria’s Men’s Sheds
Men in Eastern Victoria will continue to have places to connect, build new friendships and share skills.
- Dan’s Belt and Road Running over the top of Victorian Farmers
Belt and road deal with China to push while import suspensions target Australian producers?
- Supporting the Landcare Jobs that Protect Eastern Victoria’s Environment
8.967 million to support the Victorian Landcare Program and environmental volunteering.
- Volunteers to Offer Disaster Relief
Volunteers are helping Latrobe City recover from the impacts of the bushfire.
- Gippsland Sports Stadium Now Game-Ready
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium (GRISS) now ready for games.
- Why 2020 is the Year that has tested all it means to be a Victorian
The year 2020.