Russel Northe MLA:
Northe renews calls for lifeline Gippsland funding amid budget shun
Calls for increased funding for Lifeline Gippsland renewed.
By Portal Admin - 30th November 2020 - Back to News
Member for Morwell Russell Northe this week in Parliament renewed calls for increased funding for Lifeline Gippsland. "In terms of suicide prevention, the Government announced an ambitious target to half the Victorian suicide rate by 2025, but the reality on the ground is suicide rates have only increased since this announcement in 2015" Mr Northe said.
"This week, I used Question Time in Parliament to ask the then Minister for Mental Health why the State Government wouldn’t marginally increase funding to the very people that are working on the ground to try and meet this target" said Mr Northe.
Lifeline Gippsland services
Lifeline Gippsland is one of the oldest Lifeline branches in the country. It has a huge amount of dedicated and amazing volunteers delivering support and raising vital funds to deliver these services. Currently, Lifeline is provided around 12% of their annual funding by Government and for a paltry extra $135,000 per year they could implement the following critical measures;
- Implement face-to-face peer support groups for our most vulnerable cohorts including men and youth.
- Introduced paid shifts for unfulfilled rosters that are difficult to staff due to the timeframes - such as midnight to 4am.
- Provide additional training to increase the number of Crisis Supporters responding to 13 14 11 calls.
Funding needed for suicide prevention
"Despite the Government acknowledging the importance of suicide prevention through ambitious targets, the reality is that funding is not filtering through to the organisations on the frontline of these issues as it might" Mr Northe said.
"I’m calling upon the Government to change its position and finally provide the additional $135,000 per year investment that Lifeline Gippsland requires to support persons in crisis", he concluded. You can read Mr Northe’s speech in adjournment debate.
Published by: email@example.com
If you are the author of this story you can edit it by clicking here
- Northe calls for budget for big builds
Russel calls for meaningful support for economic recovery to the Latrobe Valley. It is important the local economy could be stimulated and encouraged with valuable developments in the region.
- Northe Calls for Clarity on Government Emission Reduction Targets
Transparency and clarity wanted around the energy policy and the content of Emission Reduction Target plans.
- Northe calls for greater support for regional small businesses
Queries about small businesses that has not been answered by the government.
- Northe Calls for Greater COVID Compassion
Interstate travel exemption process applicable to persons seeking to say goodbye to a loved one or attend a funeral urged.
- Northe – Gippsland business grants
Grants are available to help Gippsland businesses in the region that have been doing it extremely tough, with a number unable to open their doors or only offer limited service. Russell Northe said he cautiously welcomes this announcement.
- Northe Continues Call for Sole-Trader Support
Wanted: support for local businesses currently excluded from the Victorian Business Support Fund.
- Northe Licence Testing Backlog Continues
Driver licence testing still pending.
- Northe Highlights COVID Concerns
Concerns raised relating to the State Government’s COVID-19 Omnibus (Emergency Measures) and Other Acts Amendment Bill 2020.
- Startup Gippsland Funding to Launch Entrepreneurial Tech Program
$250,000 grant to allow Startup Gippsland to provide pre-accelerator programs targeting non-tech founders with tech-focused startups.
- Latrobe City Council calls for health improvements for Morwell
City council’s call for action to improve and protect the community’s health.
- Gippsland Sports Stadium Now Game-Ready
Gippsland Regional Indoor Sports Stadium (GRISS) now ready for games.
- Gippsland to Share in Tafe Upgrade Blitz
TAFE Gippsland to receive more than $4.3 million for modernisation and upgrades of learning spaces and and facilities at Warragul and Morwell schools.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Business Chambers Receive Vital Funding
Funding from Grants for Business Chambers and Trader Groups awarded.
- West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Children Embrace Reading at Home
Congratulations to schools that participated in the Premiers’ Reading Challenge.
- Helping Gippsland’s Competition Survive and Thrive
Boost given to Gippsland community sport to help local leagues and associations ride out the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Grants to Keep West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Creatives Working
West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley artists and creative businesses to receive a lifeline from the Victorian Government.
- Training Gippsland Students to Get the Jobs They Want
Training students on variety of sectors for a good career.
- Growing Gippsland’s Future Health Workforce
$200,000 for a feasibility study for a Community Health Hub and Clinic at the Gippsland campus in Churchill.
- $436,839 Awarded to West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley to Boost Safety and Employment
31 projects sharing in more than $5.6 million in funding under the 2020-21 Community Safety Infrastructure Grants
- Putting Gippsland people first
No Victorian left behind with the Victorian Budget 2020/21.
- Funding For a Woman Building Surveyor in Latrobe City Council
Local Government to recruit and train surveyors through Women Building Surveyors Program.
- Grants Open to Help West Gippsland and Latrobe Valley Schools Build Inclusion
All inclusive playground and outdoor learning spaces soon.
- Funding for More Latrobe Valley Community Projects
Upgrades to community meeting spaces in Glengarry and Morwell with nearly $200,000 fund.
- Ride Nation Launches in Gippsland with First Bike Library
Gippsland's first bike library.
- Funding sought for recreation projects
Council to fund to redevelop and improve cricket training facilities.
- Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland Clubs Score Sport Grants
Sport Grants awarded to Latrobe Valley and West Gippsland clubs.
- Celebrating Children’s Week in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley with Community Grants
$100,000 fund to local communities across Victoria to host fun and free educational activities and events during this year’s Children’s Week celebrations.
- Amazing multi-million dollar Gippsland Regional Aquatic Centre opens
Opening of a new recreational centre with wide array of health and fitness activities for people across the region. It greatly improve the well-being of community benefits and help economic growth.
- Latrobe funding helps Bass Coast businesses grow
Grants available for small local businesses, applications are now being accepted.
- Trees take centre stage at Gippsland Performing Arts Centre
Man-made trees as grand feature of the facility, welcoming the visitors.
- VicHealth Funding Announced for Local Groups
Five organisations to share in more than $30,000 of VicHealth funding.
- Bass Coast welcomes funding for public and community housing
An funding commitment for Victorians.
- Helping Sport and Active Recreation Organisations in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley Survive and Thrive
Six grants under Community Sport Sector COVID-19 Short-term Survival Package announced.
- Building Better, Safer Schools in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Vital maintenance and safety works delivery to over 400 schools.
- Transition Support Funding for Students with Disability
Extra support to transition from their final year of education into post-schooling pathways
- New VicHealth Funding Available
$2.5 million in new funding to support local organisations to address the immediate health and wellbeing concerns of Victorians hardest hit by the impact coronavirus pandemic.
- Warragul’s Western Park Scores Funding for Redevelopment of Netball Facilities
Transformation fund of $1,440,000 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- More Mental Health Support for Students in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Access to the school-based mental health support for secondary students soon.
- Valley public transport cost woes continue
Northe has renewed calls for a review of the Latrobe Valley’s unfair public transport ticketing structure that places local commuters at a disadvantage. The current MYKI system forces local commuters to pay more than other area across the State.
- Supporting Small-Scale School Building Projects in West Gippsland and the Latrobe Valley
Important upgrades to Victorian schools.
- More Services along the Gippsland Line
Improved train frequency and reliability with a redesigned timetable effective early next year.
- School Buildings Project Funding Announced
Local schools to receive funding for building upgrades and capital investments.
- Latrobe Valley Reserves Score Funding for Lighting Boost
Transformation and improved amenity with $1,046,109 from Community Sports Infrastructure Stimulus Program.
- Bringing More Clean Energy to Gippsland
The Victorian Government is helping more Gippsland businesses use renewable energy technologies to reduce electricity costs, create local jobs and support clean power
- Home Library offers Lockdown Lifeline
Home Library Service extended to everyone who wanted to borrow items, with no restrictions on age.
- Taxi fares lift lid on Andrews’ neglect of Gippsland trains
Trains needing upgrades to be more reliable and accessible to the public.
- Targeting Weeds and Pests across West Gippsland
Funding for weeds and pests eradication under Roadside Weeds and Pests Fund.
- Community Motorsport Program Funding Open
First motorsport and motorcycling funding program to back community clubs, participants and encourage greater female participation.
- Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme - Northe
Considerations to reinstate Latrobe Valley Back to Work Scheme.
- Regional Roadmap Going in Wrong Direction
Calls to review the thresholds that apply to the "Last Step" within the reopening roadmap to Regional Victoria.
- Annual Budget Adopted
Highlights of the Budget include funding for the planning and/or design of a number of significant, intergenerational projects.